Good books

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by arseface, March 26, 2011.

1. arseface

arseface Post Master General

This is a thread for good books. Books you've liked, books you recommend, discussion about books.

Anyone here read The Chronicles of Prydain? I will never understand how so much can be crammed into such tiny books, WELL.
  2. JackTrips

JackTrips New Member

I read the Chronicles of Prydain about 30 times when I was younger. Great fantasy books for a slightly younger reader. I also really like the Wheel of Time series and Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

One of my favorite books is "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court," by Mark Twain.
  3. Deadpool FTW

Deadpool FTW New Member

I enjoy Stephen King, but I need to start reading more :p . I've really only read The Long Walk and The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon.
  4. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Grapes of Wrath is a great book.
  5. Miracle

Miracle New Member

That was a good one.
  6. Totally Not Grec

Totally Not Grec New Member

The Catcher in the Rye
    A Long Way Gone
    The Grapes of Wrath

EDIT:
    This man has good tastes.
  7. Saint Mudknot

Saint Mudknot New Member

Check out this book FEED. It was crazy good.
  8. ExT Insanity

ExT Insanity New Member

Catch-22
  9. Wandrian Wvlf

Wandrian Wvlf New Member

Haven't read a book in years, but I've gotta recommend the Adventures of Don Quixote de La Mancha.
  10. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Divine Comedy is the only one I've read and it's more of a poem but it was amazing nonetheless.

Don't read books because I hate the material they are printed on. I don't mind magazines though.
  11. sensitivepsycho

sensitivepsycho New Member

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley: Dystopian future, as essential as 1984.

The "Jeeves and Wooster" series - P.G. Wodehouse: The reason Jeeves is the go-to name for a butler. The humour still holds up, especially if you read Wooster's parts in the voice of Hugh Laurie as the Prince Reagent in Blackadder.

"Skulduggery Pleasant" series - Derek Landy: Extremely funny book about a skeleton detective. It has magic, gun fights, a girl with a sword dressed in leather and Phil Lynott.
  12. ExT Insanity

ExT Insanity New Member

The book of orgy's :shock:
  13. Totally Not Grec

Totally Not Grec New Member

Brave New World was great
  14. BabelFish

BabelFish New Member

I would definitely recommend Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. I love them. That's were I got my username from too. :3
  15. Vlane

Vlane New Member

I don't get what people like so much about Brave New World. It's good and all but 1984 is just so much better.
  16. arseface

arseface Post Master General

My high school English teacher had never heard of 1984.

I'm not even kidding, I heard her tell someone I kept bugging her about reading 1995 or something.
  17. NataVonDoom

NataVonDoom New Member

Wat. I.. I don't even.

'The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven' by Sherman Alexie (Never met anyone who's read this. :C ) and 'The Silence of the Lambs' by Thomas Harris are two of my favorite books.

I also dig anything by Chuck Palahniuk, but who doesn't?
  18. JackTrips

JackTrips New Member

Only people that haven't read him. I thought Fight Club was one of the most faithful novel to movie adaptations I've seen.

I also recommend anything by Tom Robbins. Completely engaging and creative. The subject matter ranges from deeply personal to entirely off the wall, but everything comes together in the end. I cannot suggest one book over another though. Just read the synopsis and decide what sounds the best to you. I guarantee the book will be nothing like you expect.
  19. Wintermute

Wintermute New Member

I've been reading the Neuromancer series by William Gibson and the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard Morgan (who apparently was also the Lead Writer for Crysis 2!)

There's a 20-year gap between these cyberpunk novels, however Richard Morgan really does well to bring back that sense.

Last year I also read Max Brook's Zombie novels, while they were patchy here and there, it was a nice read.
  20. JackTrips

JackTrips New Member

I noticed your username was from Neuromancer. Good book. I had to read it for a college class.