How to get good?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by Nekoh, March 24, 2011.

1. Nekoh

Nekoh New Member

I've never played a FPS before and I get angry very very very easy, mainly because 16 games today I've joined as my team has lost the instance I've joined. I do alright with gunner but I'm not good at staying alive, I die about the same amount as the pros I kill which I know is very very bad. I just can't seem to get the hang of it, this is one of the first games I've ever bought for PC. Last time I played a game properly (not minecraft) was when RE4 came out for the gamecube many moons ago.

At the moment this is feeling like a waste of money as I get no enjoyment as I die a lot, I'm not very good at it and the matches are very very imbalanced and you can join games right at the end which just makes me ragequit. I would say I've spent around an hour just looking for a game which has just started today. It's quite disappointing as during the free weekend it was fun and happy and I didn't care about anything but now I'm into it I just want to get good.
  2. Vlane

Vlane New Member

Try to play other classes. Maybe gunner just doesn't suit your play style.
  3. zodiark1234

zodiark1234 New Member

I would probably start off as Assault simply because he is the most versatile class in the game, being decent at everything, but not particularly good in any one thing except mobility.
  4. arseface

arseface Post Master General

My recommendation for new players is to go either sin or tank and IGNORE/AVOID other pros completely unless juiced. Bot kills are VERY important and learning the effect they have on the game is the fastest way to get batter at all classes imo.

Try a botkill class/build and avoid pros until you feel comfortable enough to take them on. Once you learn how to deal with the automated threats, work your way up to the player controlled ones.
  5. Zutsumi

Zutsumi Member

Assess the situation, look for weak points and have an escape plan.

Can you take the enemy on?
    Is there a turret denying a chokepoint?
    Are they exposed/can be harassed from behind?

Learn/Know when to push and pull back, you don't always have to rush straight into the enemy and make sure to utilize cover and bots, all while bot-clearing.

You have to have patience and experiment with builds/classes that suit your playstyle.

Killing bots/pros while playing smart and staying alive will net your more juice/money and allow you to set the pace of the game.

Just practice, experiment, play smart.
  6. kotay

kotay New Member

start off and kill bots to get the cash to upgrade your skills, if you are assault use your grenade launcher on the bots, you can also use this to keep enemies at bay. If enemies get close change to assault rifle and shoot them, also you should have a bomb out already somewhere where you think the enemy will run over. So then you have shot the enemy, he runs towards you, you detonate bomb, he flies out of ring, if he is not dead charge him to finish off or charge away back to your base and pick off with grenades or just heal up and do same again. Always upgrade your skills, then when you are upgraded enough you can engage enemies more and do better damage.

In the early stages of the game always go for bots over enemies as you get way more money for skills which you will need for getting kills. The rest just comes with practise.

Also sorry i only play assault but the general rule applies to all classes.
  7. Rammite

Rammite New Member

Try Tank and shoot only the bots. He's got more than enough health to survive a beatdown.

The trick is to never get angry. If a player gets angry, he's more likely to focus on that anger, and will thus not play as well. This is for every game that exists.

When you do die, think about how you died. If you got backstabbed, think about how you can counter that, or avoid that in the future. Learn from your mistakes. That's how any good player becomes a good player.
  8. Diable

Diable New Member

Getting good at anything is never an easy task. I have had the good fortune of playing the Xbox 360 version since a week after its release to experiment and try everything out.

My advice to you is to play blitz (the protect the moneyball from bots gametype) a few times over. While it might get a bit boring, you can begin to experiment with classes and strategies without getting bogged down by other people. This is also a great way to build cash so you can go ahead and buy a custom class. That's when your personality really comes into play and it gets more fun.

Read a few guides on the forum maybe, from the ones I've read, they seem to be good starts (and don't forget about the 360 guides as well since it is the same game).

Keep at it, Rome wasn't built in a day.
  9. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

1. Eat more bacon. Bacon makes you better at everything.
    2. You won't join as many losing games if you just stop quitting. Stick around and play at least several games in a row, that way you'll increase your ratio of full games to partial games.
    3. Don't try to kill people. Try to make money and stay alive. Kill people only when it's convenient, which WILL happen. You might even get more kills that way.
  10. FatCatAttack

FatCatAttack New Member

Some unconventional advice.

Fix your mouse

http://www.overclock.net/mice/173255-cs-s-mouse-optimization-guide.html

It's for counter strike but it's good for everything.

Mouse acceleration is mucho bad is 90+ percent of shooting games. Some players use it in quake but quake has it's own very personal and very precise accleration schemes. The reason being you want to be in control of your mouse 100 percent and maximize your muscle memory. Otherwise the computer will change your mouse sense on the fly through a bell curve and you will never be consistent. I've been accused of using scripts because I'll 180 charge away/at somebody because I know the distance of my flick without having to think about what's on the screen. I use 8-10 inches for a 360 in my games. Less than 8 is considered "high" 8-10 is mid and everything above is low for most folks. Get use to using your arm more and not just your wrist. Your wrist fingers are for refinement. A guide if you will.

To get use to using your arm practice your handwriting.

http://www.paperpenalia.com/handwriting.html

Your fps aim will improve considerably believe it or not.

Speaking of counter strike you can get source really cheap. Playing counter strike will make you better in pretty much every other fps because CS is all about aim on the pub level. On the reverse playing any other game other than counter strike makes you worse at counter strike.

Fix your body.

Eat, sleep, don't spend all your time poop socking. Take a break and play other games or even interact with other humans on a face to face basis. You want to be as relaxed as possible.

Fix your mind.

I still don't this as much as I should. My game sense is very inconsistent and I'm a very inconsistent player as a result. Watch this dudes vids and you'll get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wEDnOZPO-U
  11. Shurryy

Shurryy New Member

The way I learnt the game was simple.
    From the very beginning when I was a really bad player, I accepted that fact and accepted defeat entirely casually, and even chuckled and laughed at my own mistakes.
    If you can put your mind in that kind of state, you will have a better time playing and an easier time reading what's going on.

All I can say.
  12. Vlane

Vlane New Member

You might as well post the Quake Bible...
  13. kotay

kotay New Member

worst advice ever
  14. FatCatAttack

FatCatAttack New Member

What's bad about telling someone how to improve their aim, not go crazy playing the game all the time, and watching better players? If this is his first FPS ever this is the kind of basic stuff he has to look at.

It seems a little too specific to Quake after scanning through it which is much more complex then MNC but it seems to have nice stuff in there.
  15. zenstar

zenstar New Member

Just have fun!

If you're having fun you'll play more and get better naturally.
    If you're not having fun then take a break. This is the worst time to play and you won't be learning anything while doing so.

If you're not trying to be a proffessional gamer then just relax and have fun. Find a server with a community of like minded people with similar skill levels and play :)
  16. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

He's also the best class in the game. OH SNAP.
  17. Brick

Brick New Member

:cool:
  18. Snipen8r

Snipen8r New Member

My main advice is don't care so much about dying or maybe even killing for that matter. Understand that this game isn't about team deathmatch dying does not directly effect the outcome of the game. If you get out of that mode of thinking then you can more effectively play the game. If killing guys isn't your strength pick a class where that's not it's focus. My main goal is to play the role of my class as well as I can for the better good of the team. I mainly play assassin and support because these are both classes that play more of an indirect role that are huge contributions to a team. As an assassin I'm dying constantly and I don't really care as long as I'm doing my job making sure the opposing team has less bots than we do and then worrying about their turrets I avoid people at all cost. As a support going offensive I will die several times in an attempt to get the "perfect" spot for a firebase to slow a team down. If I can keep that firebase up and pin a team inside their base then it was well worth all the deaths. Depending on my mood I'll also turtle in my own base and maintain it. Maybe I get very few kills but when I see a base full of over-clocked level 3 turrets I can feel satisfied knowing that my part on the team helped make a difference in winning a game.
  19. Vlane

Vlane New Member

That is bad, really bad.
    For once: it doesn't make a whole lot of difference
    More importantly though: you are more useful out in the field than in your base

Never ever do this OP.
  20. Snipen8r

Snipen8r New Member

Let me clarify when I say turtle I don't literally mean I never step outside of the base. If you're doing that then you're obviously not even bringing in enough cash to make the upgrades you need. A better way to put it is focus on building up the base. I still have no idea why people say it makes no difference it absolutely does. I would agree that some stages it makes little difference. I don't even bother putting up turrets in Grenade 3 for example and Ammo Mule is also really tough to defend. There are definitely stages where you can effectively fortify the base though Steel Peel being one of the best as well as Lazor Razor. Don't buy the hype that turrets are worthless. Also speaking from an assassins point of view if everyone is on the field then I'm inside wrecking your base. My point being that there is no one rule. Certain stages are designed to be played in certain ways. Play to the strength of the stage and play to the strength of the class.