Quoted!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by scathis, July 28, 2009.

1. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

2. TheBigOne

TheBigOne New Member

Nice,
    what about gamers who know it all but whose views are malleable?

On a bit more serious note, how many of the people doing QA are people who don't have a formal education in that are but are avid gamers and have a keen eye on bugs, exploits, inconsistencies etc. ? And what would be the best way to get into it? how much is it worth to be credited as "playtester" in an AAA-Title?
  3. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Hey TBO,

Speaking as a QA tester myself with just under 3 years in the industry, I can tell you that most people I have met do not have a formal education in areas relevant to the games industry. However, everybody I know that is really good at bugging understands how computer programs work, at least at a very basic level. It makes it easier to find bugs when you know how to exploit the weaknesses in the program. Still, the most important skills are attention to detail, good communication, and the ability to work well in a team.

As for getting into a QA position, it depends slightly on which end you're going for. If you're looking to be a tester at a publisher, all you pretty much have to do is show up when they're hiring. Getting into a QA position at a developer can be trickier, but it depends a lot on the developer and what they need. Some will require experience, some will require programming skills, and some will just be looking for as many people as possible to throw at their product. Getting credited as a playtester CAN be helpful, but again, it depends a lot on what product it's for, who you know, and who they know.

Feel free to ask me any questions you like, I'm not the be-all-end-all answer on everything QA, but I'm more than happy to share my knowledge.
  4. scathis

Cannon Fodder pretty much said what I would.

This quote:
    Especially the last part... Networking is everything. Once you get your foot in the door be able to work with everyone, get to know everyone, go to all social functions, join all social networks (linkedin, facebook, twitter, etc) and get connected. That's the best way you'll be able to move to the position you really want at the company you desire.
  5. scathis

On more thing to add...

The whole reason I am quoted in that series of books. They are edited by a woman named Jeanie Novak. Jeanie was the girlfriend of a good friend and coworker of mine at the time. We'd hang out and Jeanie knows me. So, now I get to be quoted in her book.

Professional networks are everything.
  6. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

re: networking

Scathis is right on the money. Just by participating in a board like this where you can hang with developers and get information about the industry is a step in the right direction.

If you really want to get in the games industry though the absolute easiest way is to just make a game. There are so many different platforms available these days. iPhone development is ideal for someone starting out who wants to make and ship a game with minimum problems. PC distribution on the simple end is as easy as putting up a web page.

I spent 2 years unpaid making and shipping a game before someone was willing to pay me...
  7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The problem with iPhone developement (unless it has changed recently) is the SDK is only available for the mac.
  8. scathis

Sorian... anything you want to add about networking with game dev people on forums that lead to other things?
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Networking is huge. A quick pm from Scathis a while back about a possible memory leak in my AI mod has finally lead to a job. It took a while because of the economy, but constantly keeping in contact with lots of people at GPG (and finally some communication with Chris) has paid off. Amazing what a popular mod and some communication can accomplish.

Washington, here I come :)
  10. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Im glad to hear it worked out for you Sorian and you will get paid for your work too! Congrats!

Is it a job in the gaming industry? (I have no idea which companies are in Washington except the government of course... :D )
  11. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Washington state, actually.

Gas Powered Games :)
  12. eetmorsqrls

eetmorsqrls New Member

*slaps Col_jessep a few times with the UBER mascot*
  13. CannonFodder

CannonFodder New Member

Grats, dude! Welcome to the state and the industry.
  14. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Thanks. It is going to be quite a climat change for me, but well worth it. Heck, I get to see green again :).
  15. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Awesome Sorian!

I'll buy you a beer when you get here!
  16. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Careful, I will hold you to that. :)
  17. gnats3

gnats3 Member

That's great :). You are from Arizona or something, aren't you?
  18. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Yeah, so this is going to be quite a move.
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Networking truely is everything, whihc can make it a bit dauting for new guys(like Me) to break into the industry, kinda the whole "why trust an unknown quantity" deal.

Of course, just sitting around whining about it ain't doing nothing, so next month I'm moving to Vancouver, it'll be tons easier to work on developing my network there than from 5 hours away.

Nice to see all the familiar faces here thought, who knows, maybe one day O might just give me something after I nag him for awhile....again! ;p

Mike
  20. nyx

nyx Moderator Alumni

Welcome OrangeKnight :)

Sorian, Congratz! Washington is amazing.

Re Networking...

I have seen first hand what networking can do for people. The people you know, and how well you are regarded can gain you a lot in the industry.