Latest patch unhappyness (Star-system)

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by LennardF1989, March 14, 2011.

1. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

Hi all,

I've been a MNC player since day one of the beta and I have, up till now, never ever had any complaint about the game at all, it is perfect.

Now, what I am going to complain about might seem small, but it takes away a slight fun factor for me and even makes certain parts of the game redundant: the new star-system.

IMO it completely makes the level system obsolete as there is no-one to witness your high-level and/or your post lvl 100 slimbot icon, which was actually one of my milestones I was playing towards (I am now lvl 91). Whereas level doesn't say anything about how good a player is, the star-system does, which is good, but I do miss the good old levels in the lobby.

When I first read about the star-system, I was like "Wow, GREAT IDEA", but that was before I knew it completely canceled out the levels in the lobby. Which is a shame, because besides this complaint it's very handy to find servers that suit you (sometimes I feel like and easy game, sometimes for a harder game). So please keep developing it, but also give me back my slimbot icon! :(

Are there more people who think this?
    Last edited: March 14, 2011
  2. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

Re: Latest patch unhappyness :(

Yeah, I think it should display both... But it might be embarrassing for high-leveled players to have low skill ratings.
  3. LennardF1989

I started with 2 stars after the patch (no idea why though) and quickly got it build up to 4.

I don't make a secret of it, as people can still see your level when you kill them anyway.
  4. Rammite

Rammite New Member

I think your level should be shown next to your ProTag. Since Level is only an indicator of experience, not skill, it makes sense to have it next to your ProTag, so you can brag about your ProTag AND your All Star levels.
  5. Decker87

Decker87 New Member

In practice, I found level to be a better indicator of skill than the star ratings.
  6. LennardF1989

@Rammite: I think it has to show both in the lobby like it did before. The star-indicator is too bloated an takes way too many space anyway. A single star with a 5 behind it is enough indication for me to know I'm playing a against a 5-star player. This way we get space back to put in levels + icon again.

@Decker87:
    Indeed, I seem to go from 4 stars to 3 (which takes a lot of time to get back to 4) after losing only 2 games, where I was at the top of the scoreboards with best K/D of both teams :/

As it seems now, the star-rating is calculated by the amount of games you lost/won, which, if true, is not really a proper indication. I see people playing with 3 stars who would really deserve 4.

Yesterday evening I ended the day with 4 stars before going to bed and this evening it was suddenly 3 again, I mean, seriously?
  7. kotay

kotay New Member

I had five stars, then I didnt play for 2 days due to starcraft 2, now I have 4 stars. So I basically dropped in skill just cos I didn't play for a couple of days :(

Unless, you think, it knows I was playing another game and got jealous?
  8. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

I like to play on Llamatron's Highlander server (Hi Llama, thx!) and sometimes I have to play classes I'm not that good at. I think Highlander is a lot of fun and I enjoy it but I could do a lot better if I just stuck to one or two classes.

The star rating punishes you for just playing for fun and it's not transparent what you actually have to do to gain a level again. I would like to know how the system works. it's very frustrating to have your performance rated by a black box.
  9. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Yeah Llama's server is definitely one of the best pubs around.
  10. Penelope

Penelope New Member

I believe Uber added this because the PC version needed some old Skool.

I've been playing PC shooters since the 80's and when I started playing MNC and saw the "Level-up" system I was like; What the heck is that?
    None of the Old Skool shooters used that but most did use a star rating.
  11. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Quake didn't use a star rating, Unreal Tournament didn't use a star rating. I dare say that your argument is invalid.
  12. tinygod

tinygod New Member

He didnt make an argument, he made an observation, and used the words "I believe"

Stop trolling.
  13. killien

killien Active Member

It's true tho. None of the games in the Quake or UT series used a star system, or even levels
  14. tinygod

tinygod New Member

Thats true, but doesn't justify the comment.
  15. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Stating that old school shooters just isn't true so my comment is warranted, we are discussing a star system here and he tries to justify it by a reference to old school shooters when in fact the major old school shooters didn't use them.
  16. Caliostro

Caliostro New Member

There's a fundamental flaw in the star system: No statistic data this game collects can actually account for in-game performance quality. Not k/d, not win/loss, not anything. There are way too many factors to consider, and way too much data the game doesn't collect (nor do I even think it can collect).

Maybe he means "Modern Warfare 2 OLD SKOOL!"...

Please stop using words you clearly don't understand... Like all of them...

argument /'?rgy?m?nt/ Show Spelled[ahr-gyuh-muhnt]:

noun
    an oral disagreement; verbal opposition; contention; altercation: a violent argument.
    a discussion involving differing points of view; debate: They were deeply involved in an argument about inflation.
    a process of reasoning; series of reasons: I couldn't follow his argument.
    a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: This is a strong argument in favor of her theory.
    an address or composition intended to convince or persuade; persuasive discourse.
    subject matter; theme: The central argument of his paper was presented clearly.
    an abstract or summary of the major points in a work of prose or poetry, or of sections of such a work.
    Mathematics.
    a.
    an independent variable of a function.
    b.
    Also called amplitude. the angle made by a given vector with the reference axis.
    c.
    the angle corresponding to a point representing a given complex number in polar coordinates. Compare principal argument.
    Computers. a variable in a program, to which a value will be assigned when the program is run: often given in parentheses following a function name and used to calculate the function.
    Obsolete.
    a.
    evidence or proof.
    b.
    a matter of contention.
  17. killien

killien Active Member

Dunno how the star system works, but after the 5 star startoff I ended up punted down to 3 stars for a while, had a whole mess of won games with positive KDRs, high bot kills, loads of cash/assists/turrets/hazards/etc and stayed at 3 stars

Played 3 games earlier where my team kept steamrolling the other and I went up to 4 stars o_0