Can we mod sounds yet?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by ragnarok89, December 20, 2019.

1. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

Hey all, apologies if this has been answered before, but I can't find an answer. Ever since the tool chain was released, I was under the impression that sound mods were now possible; I always wanted to change the sound of the SXX to a photon torpedo, for example. However, I've read through all the threads, and no one seems to have figured out how, let alone provided instructions. I'm hoping someone can point me to to the beginners's how-to for sound modding? Thanks

Ragnarok
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Download and look through the Audio Modding Client Test mod.
  3. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

So I downloaded the mod, and have a basic understanding of how it works. Is there some sort of guide that would explain the logic of how to build the start.js file? For example, what if I want to mod 2 (or more) sound cues? Where can I find the list of CueMods (such as /SE/UI/UI_Rollover)? Or more specifically, let's say I want to mod the sound of a dox unit firing it's weapon, I assume there is a dox.JSON somewhere I could look inside to find the appropriate Cue Name?
  4. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Also ask in #modding in the PA Discord chat - https://discord.gg/pa
  5. manlebtnureinmal

manlebtnureinmal Active Member

pa/units/land/assault_bot/assault_bot.json

alternately: https://palobby.com/units/json/assault_bot
  6. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

So I tried to add my own custom sound:

1) get the appropriate CUE from orbital_laser.json: SE/Weapons/orb/orb_ssx_laser_fire. I believe this is the sound of the SXX opening fire

2) edit the start.js file with the new CUE and WAV file

try
    {
    function audioModdingTest()
    {
    var files =
    [
    'tng_torpedo.wav'
    ];

api.audio.registerCueMod('/SE/Weapons/orb/orb_ssx_laser_fire', '/ui/mods/com.pa.audio-modding-test/' + _.sample(files));
    }

_.defer(audioModdingTest); // hack relies on synchronous code to defer register until after reset
    }
    catch (e)
    {
    console.error(e);
    }

3) Added tng_torpedo.wav to the ZIP file in the MOD

4) disconnected from the internet to prevent my changes from being overwritten when I launch PA

5) verified my changes were not overwritten

6) started a game, built a SXX... and... stock sound.

What did I miss?
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Because you need to inject into the live_game scene, not the main menu (start scene) as the example mod does.
  8. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

Quitch, where are the instructions on how to do that?
  9. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

So I think I figured out the "scene" thing... I updated the modinfo.json as follows:

"scenes": {
    "live_game": [
    "coui://ui/mods/com.pa.audio-modding-test/live_game.js"
    ]
    },

and of course renamed start.js to live_game.js; and yet I still can't get it to work.

Incidentally, I also created my own mod using the appropriate folders so I didn't have to worry about the community mod being overwritten every time I launched the game. My local mod, which is exactly the same as the the altered community mod (described above) does not load either; but that's a separate issue.

Is there a tutorial that goes through step by step how to do a sound mod to a unit? I've read through the https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki site, but live_scene sound modding does not seem to be covered.
  10. manlebtnureinmal

manlebtnureinmal Active Member

Sound modding is a relatively recent feature that wasn't possible until PA Inc. took over.

The amount of active modders in the community has been somewhat limited recently though, so no one has publicly released any sound mods since mikeyh released his demo mod.
  11. ragnarok89

ragnarok89 Member

Any updates on sound modding? I would really like to make a sound pack or something as I have been collecting some amazing sound effects...