Orbital Idea

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by w33dkingca, January 14, 2019.

1. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Someone in another thread mentioned the need to not be able to see enemy movements in orbit, so being me I made a quick mod to achieve his for them.
    I've been playing around and added the need for a deep space radar in to the game, Testing VS AI all worked fine, upon testing on the community server Celestial view bugged and we could not see anything. This lead to some interesting things happening system wide with Radars and orbital units being the only way to see units in the orbital Layer. having to scout gas and have radar with your forces to see the enemy units in the orbital layer was quite fun I found, same with not being able to see them on other planets without radar. Or obviously units in range.
    Im now going to suggest a remix for orbital, of the same type but without the bugs.
    I suggest we bring back Orbital deep space radar, I made mine tr2 to give players time to run and hide, which I found to be a nice implement, not being able to scout orbital trajectories so early was good. This opened up more need to scout with radar and changed the pacing up substantially.
    I also think we should Change the "Celestial" Layer to be that of only trajectories between planets, leaving the orbital layer of a planet without a deep space radar blind, I also suggest we make units in transfer a radar blip instead of the actual icon.
    Next I suggest we make an orbital radar structure to be built on gas or another planet to show things in its orbit, give it a high energy consumption so its a mid Orbital play go to when you have the resource, same with ground DSR.
    I think these changes could really change the way orbital progresses and is played, maybe take the "Im gon fight for this planet" mentality away and make players go orbital in orbital games, Too many players neglect it just to scrap planetside then die to the runaways. Their fault and not DSR's I know, but..
    If this isn't to be implemented or tested can we atleast allow Trajectory only for the celestial view and change units to blips so I can mod it, prettey prettey please.
    OR is this already a thing, can I add a special Sight parameter to define trajectory only already?
    Thanks.
    Last edited: January 14, 2019
    cdrkf, MrTBSC and lulamae like this.
  2. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

I also edited Jigs energy and metal, 22 mex 3000 energy, this worked quite well also, economy didn't explode straight away, but it did once we weren't contested on gas, which is enemies fault. Still, better pacing I found.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i definetively welcome a rework to orbital to allow more sneaky play (and this way require scouting) to were it is up to the player to prepare against such play than just react to it ..
    by default only orbital transitions should be visible as dots
    i would agree that there should be a orbital version of the deepspaceradar for gasgiants .. don´t remember how much current orbital radar covers the orbital layer as i haven´t played for a long while ..
    if neccesary maybe add a audiocue for when one has build his first orbital unit to announce the spacerace ..

question would be what tier should the deepspaceradar be? tier 0 (buildable by commander), 1 or 2? tier 2 may make sense with a orbital deepspace radar acting as tier 1.5 if it´s available from the orbital launcher if it not limited to the orbital factory ..

deepspaceradar imo should also only show dots ... were as scouts and orbital radar with a visual viewrange actualy show what units you see ..
    Last edited: January 21, 2019
  4. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Currently there is only options to allow a view of every body and orbital transfer, or just the body on which the radar is built, by default it is the first allowing full orbital vision, every planet and transfers.

"deepspaceradar imo should also only show dots ... were as scouts and orbital radar with a visual viewrange actualy show what units you see .. "
    I agree with that. it should really be the same as ground radar, only orbital.

"if neccesary maybe add a audiocue for when one has build his first orbital unit to announce the spacerace .."
    Nah, you have to scout early.

"by default only orbital transitions should be visible as dots"
    it would take the sneak away from early game, leave the dots for the radar.

What do we do about Helios titans? Still discoverable?

The tr2 DSR timing I picked worked alright in test games, made room for a lot of early plays, with com having 0 orbital vision, you can imagine what of old is now possible again, Contesting gas became fun having to scout out the enemy and made it prettey much anyone's planet early, sneaking to other planets also good to have back, opened up the need for more thinking and planning, more scouting.

Currently I have my radar at a 1200 metal cost with a 2500 drain on energy, I think a higher energy cost would be better, orbital vision was a big player pre titans, not having it was a killer, having to take the enemies out a priority, currently its easily spammable and not very hard to maintain, I know classics was way cheaper and it worked ok, however I think the timings and need to maintain efficiency for the vision is a key player for a more strategic game, in classic you just had to build a few DSR's and your good for the game, this way is more clutch and not as easy to maintain.
    NikolaMX likes this.
  5. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

true but that´s rather for novices having issues with the required awarness of this game ..

yes but that depends on how you implement that when orbital transition is visible .. do you want it to make it so like classic were once one deepspace radar is build that genral orbital transition is visible? because i imagin limiting orbital transition vissibility per planet would be quite the task to programm annnd look kinda weird ..

i would say it should be required to scout it .. even though something like a succesfull manhattan drop is quite devastating but that also means a player should be able to anticipate it ...

i may test this some time later but i am still experincing many crashes of the game for unkown reasons ..