AbleGamers Tournament 2018 (17-Nov-2018 + 24-Nov-2018)

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by wpmarshall, October 28, 2018.

1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Yo I want to buy myself icarus
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

3. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Looks like we raised $3,274.00

Many thanks to all of the participants, staff and generous spectators!
  4. theiban

theiban Member

It has been awesome to play the Able Gamers Tournament. Thank you all for helping us to make PA still greeater than it is, 3200$$$ for the Able Gamer's engineers.

I lost the round but to nuke Flubb made me very happy. I will remember it for some weeks with a smile all over my face.

Congratulations to Effect the KING, the winner, taking APAA to the highest.

APAA POWER!!
    [​IMG]
    davostheblack, cdrkf and grandhomie like this.
  5. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

Thanks to all participants, and especially quitch and wondible for that work and whoever else was doing hard work in background! I liked the tournament very much! Personally I was not too much interested in that able gamers charity, but sure it's still a good thing and yes, the good feeling starts right now, nowing, that the money is not wasted! And that public charity may also help to spread PA <3 - lets have all fun :) - And let's ban war into the computer's world!

Edit: Is APAA actually a "real" clan or is it just a tag to tell people that one is addicted?
    davostheblack likes this.
  6. Quitch

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback on the event, or the menu especially, please do leave your thoughts here.
    davostheblack and cdrkf like this.
  7. lulamae

I thought that a qualifying tournament for a wildcard player the week before was a great idea.

I think the Holkins were OP for the starting planet in the preliminary rounds. Maybe catapults offered in it's place next time.

An alternative would be to have a larger starting planet so that Holkins in the base are primarily defense units.

The Imperators had the potential to be OP in early game play but none arrived as soon as the window opened like the Holkins did

I would like to see if there is a way to help out @wondible so that he doesn't get so backlogged.
    davostheblack and cdrkf like this.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I think next year we should maybe increase the number of slots available through the qualifiers (maybe 1 per group) as its a great way to get more players involved.

I also think the menu and players should be announced a little bit further ahead of time if possible as in previous years that's allowed players to post pitch videos which was fun (although I know its hard to organise lots of people so might not be feasible).

I agree with @lulamae that the early Holkins was a bit too strong. Maybe we could split units into three tiers, so powerful (but not game ending) items like Holkins come in from say 10 minute mark instead of 5. That might allow a bit more of a progression for the match between the early and game ender stages.

Final comment is @Quitch I want you to play in my bracket next year... I think I could raise quite a lot of donations to help me take revenge for that little 'gift' you gave me :p

P. S. Thanks again @wpmarshall, @wondible, @Quitch and anyone else involved in organising the event this year, it was a huge success!
    davostheblack, Nicb1 and lulamae like this.
  9. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

1. Players - This could be done if enough responses were received far enough in advance.
    2. Menu - Organising this year was ridiculous. All organisers have busy schedules.
    3. Logo - Trailers and art etc also held things back because new contributors needed to be sourced.
    davostheblack, cdrkf and lulamae like this.
  10. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

Congratulations and well done to everyone involved, great job all around:
    - Nomega's logo looked very crisp
    - Quitch made the event run smoothly
    - Wondible did a great job with the website/mod/puppermastering
    - And finally, Marshall did an amazing job with the trailer, maps, organization and commentating.
  11. cdrkf

Yeah I fully understand, I didn't intend it as a criticism of this years event, I know I couldn't have done any better.
    davostheblack and wpmarshall like this.
  12. warmax

warmax New Member

I’m so happy to see everyone still doing amazing
    davostheblack and xankar like this.
  13. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

VODs uploading now
    davostheblack likes this.
  14. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

First off, thank you to Marshii, Quitch and Wondible for pulling this off; something like 6 and a half hours of dedicated work? so an average of $500 an hour raised this year!

Second, thanks to all the donors and donations for pitching in, and for everyone who played for making quite the spectacle sport!

Third, congratulations to TheEffectTheCause for winning! A fitting end for a planetary annihilation tournament!

Three things I'd recommend
    1) Even though the puppetmaster does drop a ping when they are launching something, i do not recall ever actually hearing a ping when something was gifted to me (in this or any other able gamers event). I'm wondering if this ping is actually visible for spectators only rather than the player? Is that intentional or should the participants be expecting a "ping" notifcation for each unit dropped?

2) Can we get orbital factories, unit cannons and star cannons added? They can really kick up the orbital attacks early on. Also Omega's and SSX's should definitely be on there! $10 for a pair of SSX, or 1 Omega!
    stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  15. Quitch

The Omega and Imperator server the same role, so it's unlikely you'd see both on the menu.
  16. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Ping are made as the current player, so I've been assuming people were getting it. Perhaps the game considers it as coming from the player and mutes the self-notify?

It's also supposed to be dming players, but that was never used much and I didn't check if it was still working. We turned on spectator chat this year, but you have to notice that as well.

If none of that works we might at the point of needed a major new notification system.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. lulamae

The chat text notifications show in the spectator/team color, so the players may not see those either. The one year I played, I never knew that donations were made to me during the game, so they all went to waste. I just assumed that I was too focused on the game to notice the messages in chat, but perhaps they never appeared?
  18. cdrkf

Well I totally missed the ragnarok that I was 'gifted'.... although in fairness after it had been placed I realised something was happening but hadn't figured out what until it was too late (I was looking for something belonging to my opponent rather than me). I can't honestly say it was the fault of the notification system- I was trying to manage 3 planets at that stage of the game so I may well have missed it.

Edit: Actually- would it be possible for players to be given a PIP for donations? That would allow a player to jump direct to it and also force them to dismiss the window...
    lulamae likes this.
  19. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Hmmm... I could check on how pings work. If they are going through, a ping mode for the pip would probably work as a general purpose mod.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. Quitch

Perhaps you could spawn a PiP which is set to jump to alert and then despawns after X seconds.
    cdrkf and lulamae like this.