[Request] Unit cap mod

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by dawnbringerhun, March 22, 2016.

1. dawnbringerhun

dawnbringerhun New Member

Hey Modders!
    Can anyone make me a unit cap / unit limit / population cap mod?

Reason:
    My FPS is fine at 60 since I'm using PA Launcher , no Steam.
    BUT, Players and AIs love to build more and more units. The problem is, the simulation speed drops down insane. It drops below 20%, or totally frezze at 2-3%. Tried in offline, same. Tried on lower graphics, same.
    The problem is the units, because if I suddenly kill an enemy commander, and units gonna explode, sim speed returns to normal.

I really love to build infinite units, and gigantic wars, but not in slow-motion. Please.

BTW, PC spec:
    - AMD FX8350
    - R7 370OC
    - 8GB DDR3 1333mhz
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I can make you a mod, that changes literally nothing, except doubling unit health/cost/damage but not structures.

That would, effectively, reduce unit populations.

Also, I recommend on idle planets or such, to not let units mass up too much. Air units, that can't travel off planet, turn the factory off once adequate. Land units, find a way to port them while you work on nukes or whatever.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Not possible, not happening.
  4. dawnbringerhun

Maybe its possible to make a mod which count units/player, and display this on the HUD, then if the units count reach a number (1000 for example) the new units will automatically destroyed, or cancelled from production?
    Or any way to keep the Sim Speed near 100% with tons of units? :(
  5. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

Smaller system = probably shorter game = less units. Never saw AI spamming units that much.
  6. dawnbringerhun

Really? Today, if I go home, I will send You some pictures with the low sim-speed.
    For example, 2v2 match with my friend, against AI. 2 Planets near 5-600 radius. In the final result I destroyed more than 1500 units. Just me. So...
  7. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

Spamming is covering half of the planet with dox. You can try to make a custom map in system editor, and add more csg's to the planet. I have a system with 2 planets (starting planet and a moon), and starting planet is covered in mountains, and there are narrow corridors between them. There are no place to spam anything (except air and orbital). Also there are a lot of metal, so it's not possible to build a lot of mex AND factories, so player need to choose what he want - more metal or more factories.
  8. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Is this really not possible with a server mod, or at least some kind of hack.

Maybe a mod could pause all factories and fabbers when the unit limit is reached?
    Maybe based on AUTO factory mod or free energy mod?

For some game types a unit cap could be a really useful option.
  9. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Check pa/ai/ai_config.json