Future of PA: GOG, finally?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by radongog, September 25, 2018.

1. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

tatsujb likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

oh yeah.

now it would make the most sense in the world. especially to prevent the community dying out whenever uber/PA inc support stops like it just did for SMNC
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

SMNC was a result of GDRP. As long as we don't have another one of those, we won't lose support for lan-cracks for a mass of middle-aged games again (we lost Tunngle).
    NikolaMX likes this.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

requiring a playfab account is bassically like DRM in the mind of people
    there is also the fact that PA:T still may get updates so players still would have to get online or otherwise download the patches from somewhere manualy ..

iirc worms: WMD was released on GOG however without any online multiplayer and ranked play capability ..
    then again iirc gog offers gog galaxy which is a automatic patchprogramm but the problem still might be the lack of online ranked play accessability, wouldn´t it? ..

otherwise PA:T could have been on GOG a long time ago with LAN play and tungle/hamachi stuff ..

not to forget people without a playfab or steam account may not be able to access the dedicated server and the mods but would have to instal PAMM and mods manualy .. correct me if i`m wrong ..
    Last edited: September 26, 2018
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

So I looked up Worms: WMD on Gog and it looks like you are partly right. The issue is not that there is no on-line multiplayer (there is), the issue is that there is no crossplay between Steam and Gog Galaxy. "Multiplayer Notice: Multiplayer is available only between GOG.com users and requires GOG Galaxy Client."

By the way, Galaxy is not a patch program. It's just an optional feature that games can make use of. For instance for multiplayer.
    Or did you mean that Galaxy can update programs when new versions get released? It does that.

As for PA, if you start it outside of Steam and don't log in, you'll see that the community mods button is still there, so you can still install mods. You do need to be logged in to play on-line, yes. That includes the community server. LAN works without logging in though. And I'm pretty sure the connect-by-ip mod works to connect to custom servers. Also the hamachi stuff should work for the LAN games.
    MrTBSC and mwreynolds like this.
  6. MrTBSC

alright then

this year at gamescom f.e. i asked a representative for the game redout, which is only available on steam to my knowledge, if they would release it on GOG ... the answer was that they might but it would have likely no online multiplayer as that was handled by steam as far as i understand .. so it seems team 17 uses a extra GOG server for WMD ..

ok

yes

and here i guess will be the problem as people don´t like to have to create extraaccounts, would they have to create a playfabaccount to access the coumminityserver or could they link their gog account if they would be ok with that ..

does the connect by IP-mod work with ranked games?

i´m aware about the LANstuff ..

thx for the explanation
  7. DeathByDenim

I don't know about that. As far as I know the steam accounts are linked to PlayFab accounts automatically, so I am guessing that it would be possible with Gog accounts as well.

It shouldn't. There needs to be an account for rankings, no?
  8. tatsujb

Ideally PA inc would publish on GOG too regardless of split playerbase syndrome. simply as a "just in-case".

I have always been a big steam fanboy but I'm starting to have a foreboding about steam turning on us and imposing monthly subscriptions.
  9. MrTBSC

what would be the signs for that?
  10. MrTBSC

well, that sux ...
  11. tatsujb

a monopoly.

frankly what's stopping them? Gaben's ethics? what if he dies?
  12. MrTBSC

well gating people off from their already bought games would be a stupid idea
    as well as gating them off from games that are supposed F2P which would be just another negative PR hit since the bullshit with paid mods allong with the skyrimcrap back then
    question would be how they then handle indydevs .. because i wouldn´t be suprised if some of them jump ship

there could be an optional monthly fee but i doubt valve would be stupid enough to piss of their costumers to force them having to pay a fee when they already invested money into them .. this would only bring a stream of lawsuits with it ..

i mean the consequences would be obvious, the wales stay, a bunch of people angrily leave, another number sues them .. how much exactly that will have an impact? who knows ..

so the best that could happen is that more GOG-esque sites appear and get succesful enough so valve don´t become the next EA (shitiest company of the year at least 2 times) .. maybe realising to maybe not fck people over and finaly offer a fair product with good functions, since their QA is still crap ...

other than that, rise of piracy to a degree and people that offer a changed version of tunngle or gameranger or dedicated FAF-esque clients for online multiplayer ..

also companies like sega f.e. can generaly fck right off with their exclusive steamgames and games that require a steamactivationkey ..
    Last edited: September 30, 2018
  13. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Maybe steam will lunch and new service called something like steam access.
    (simlar to origin access or xbox game pass etc)
    This would be not removing anything from anyone, only it would give more choice in how to pay for your games.

I really don't see how or why steam would start charging everyone a monthly fee, if they did everyone would leave the service in a heartbeat, as it is they take 30% cut from all sales on the platform.
  14. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

And who doesn't love player choice? Makes me think of the idea of steam selling games in lootboxes...
  15. mwreynolds

That's already a thing although not in steam directly.
  16. radongog

Bump: Pleaaaase! :D
  17. radongog

Well, that´s like saying "there is no need to put that album on bandcamp, you can already buy it on CD DRM-free"...
    ...or "there is no need to be able to buy it in book store, you can already order it on the autors web page". ;)
  18. mwreynolds

I think the effort would be better spent to get it on the Discord store.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  19. MrTBSC

exposure exposure exposure ... and screw steam ..
  20. DeathByDenim

You can't buy it like that anymore though. (unless you find a physical game disc somewhere, I suppose)
    tatsujb likes this.
  21. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator