Random Crash in Single Player Game after several minutes

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ajgajg1134, September 1, 2018.

1. ajgajg1134

ajgajg1134 New Member

After about 5 minutes of gameplay the game suddenly freezes then closes with no message displayed.
    I have disabled mods, set subsampling to 50%, and disabled the steam overlay. I have none of the listed incompatible windows software. I've also ensured my graphics drivers are fully up to date.

I've attached the log file from the crash and a dxdiag file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Playing at 4K can be problematic at times

Go to Game Settings>Graphics and set Display Mode to WINDOWED
    Go to Game Settings>Graphics and set HDR to OFF

If it still occurs, post a set of .dmp logs
    https://support.planetaryannihilation.com/kb/faq.php?id=200
  3. ajgajg1134

ajgajg1134 New Member

Switching to windowed mode and bringing the size down a bit appears to have fixed this.

Thanks!!!
  4. ajgajg1134

ajgajg1134 New Member

Looks like I spoke too soon. Games certainly are able to run longer it seems, but anything longer than 15 minutes pushes it.

Here are the two latest crash dump files hopefully that helps!

Attached Files:

5. lulamae

Looks like the issue is GPU driver crashes.
    Set HDR to OFF. NVIDIA has been known to revert to an outdated OpenGL when HDR is enabled

Perform a clean installation of your GPU driver after running DDU using the procedure recommended by the developer.
    http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
  6. ajgajg1134

ajgajg1134 New Member

Still crashing with HDR off and --nomods running in windowed. I've also verified the game integrity with steam. :(

Here's an additional dump file for the latest crash.

Attached Files:

7. lulamae

8. ajgajg1134

ajgajg1134 New Member

Sorry for the late response!

I took a look at the DDU and (even though I know it's recommended) I just don't trust it enough. The instructions set off a lot of alarm bells for me including disabling virus scanning, disconnecting from the internet, and turning off windows update temporarily. If it was an open source tool I could more thoroughly inspect then I might be willing to try it. For now I've been just streaming the game from my laptop (A really inferior experience, but it doesn't crash).

I wish there was some more clear resolution for this other than, "Oh for some reason this game uses OpenGL features that cause the graphics driver to crash the game running at 4k, and/or with hdr." (And also when windowed). There are other games that use OpenGL on Nvidia that don't cause these crashes which leads me to believe it's an issue that should be resolvable within the game.

So for anyone who finds this post looking for help for this same issue feel free to try the above, but it didn't work for me. Please leave a post so anyone looking here can hopefully find a pattern for what's causing this and help resolve it.
  9. lulamae

I understand where you are coming from. You could certainly try it while leaving your anti-virus enabled.

It helped solve a lot of random crashes for me.

At any rate, the game's new owners are working on a new update and they are expecting a lot of improvements in the game. Perhaps things will go smoother for you then.
  10. ajgajg1134

ajgajg1134 New Member

At any rate, the help is much appreciated lulamae!