As of the last few months, PA has trouble whenever I alt+tab

Discussion in 'Support!' started by manlebtnureinmal, July 31, 2018.

1. manlebtnureinmal

manlebtnureinmal Active Member

My desktop had never had issues with PA in the past. Then, I went on vacation for a few weeks (May to June), returned, and found that my desktop now has numerous issues whenever I alt+tab:
    1. It is hard to alt+tab now. I now have to ctrl+alt+tab and select random windows until I get lucky and a window is able to take priority over PA. Sometimes this involves making a 2nd virtual desktop and opening windows within that. As a result, it can sometimes take me up to 2 minutes to successfully alt+tab out of PA.

2. It is hard to re-enter PA once I have alt+tabbed. I often have to wait up to 10 seconds as PA shows an old snapshot of what was happening on the window a few minutes ago.

This only happens to me on my desktop, while my laptop is immune to this issue.

I learned that TheEffectTheCause has also recently suffered from this issue on his computer. Both his computer and my desktop have an AMD graphics card and an Intel CPU.

My Desktop (has issues):
    CPU: Intel i5-4690k
    GPU: AMD RX 480

My Laptop (no issues):
    CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ
    GPU: nVidia GTX 1060

I assume that there is some kind of issue with PA and a recent AMD driver or something.

edit: I just installed new drivers and the problem is significantly less severe than before, but alt+tabbing from PA is still a complicated process. I forgot to specify that I use full screen.
    Last edited: July 31, 2018
  2. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Please try turning off the Windows feature "Focus assist" entirely on the effected machine:
    upload_2018-8-1_8-2-10.png

I could replicate your issue with that feature being turned on (even just partially).
  3. manlebtnureinmal

My focus assist was already turned off
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Fully off, including that "When I'm playing a game" slider? That one still activates Focus Assist even when "Off" is selected above.
    manlebtnureinmal likes this.
  5. manlebtnureinmal

Thanks; the game now alt+tabs in an almost normal matter. I can still see a bit of weird stuff as the individual browsers that make up the game's UI minimize, but alt+tab is now functional again.