Unable to Sign in - next InitializeSecurityContext failed: ... revocation server was offline.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by nightcross00, May 10, 2018.

1. nightcross00

nightcross00 New Member

See attached log for details:

Problem: When launching the game, I see the signing into PlayFab message for 1 second then immediately gives me a error message stating:

schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092013) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.

I am unable to play online multiplayer. Though it appears I am still able to do anything single player.
    This problem started about 24 hours ago.
    This is for the steam version.

I have tried the following solutions:
    1. Restart steam
    2. Restart computer
    3. Restart router
    4. Disabling firewall completely (I use Window 7's firewall)
    5. Disabling firewall and virus security software(Avast + firewall, even then the free version of Avast I have does not have firewall enabled so should not affect.)
    5. Reset network configurations and DNS cache via command prompt
    6. Disabling all mods (and clearing mods folder/cache)
    7. Launching game from the pa.exe (unable to sign in due to funky steam id number gibberish)
    8. Verify integrity of game. (Results: No errors/file needed to be replaced)

If there is any other additional solutions that I can try, please let me know.

Edited: Clarified this issue is for the steam version of the game.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

That sound like an SSL error. I think it comes from the Curl library that is used. It's weird though that only the revocation server would be unreachable. From what I can tell from searching that error in general it seems often to be antivirus related, but you already tried that. And I'm assuming you are not using proxies or anything.

You could try linking your UberId and Steam so that you would be able to try step 7 there. See here: https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Lost_Titans_Ownership_When_Linking_Steam_to_PlayFab_/_Ubernet_Login
    You might want to try that on a weekday though because there is some risk the Titans part get lost and needs to be reactivated manually by Uber.
  3. nightcross00

nightcross00 New Member

Thanks, I'll try that on Monday. In the mean time, if anyone knows what is the address of the revocation server it is trying to contact please let me know. So that I can fully rule out if something is blocking it for some reason.

EDIT:
    I figured out the issue somewhat. I reinstalled the Amazon certificate, based on the gibberish error message the event logger was picking up.

I grabbed their certificate from this URL:
    [REDACTED DUE TO NON-WHITELISTED URL]

Due to the whitelisted url restriction I am unable to post the link I used. For any future people who encounter this same/similar error, please google "Amazon Trust Services Repository", should be the first link. Then download the self-signed certificate "Amazon Root CA 1" and install it.

Though that does not explain why it says the revocation server is offline if reinstalling the certificate fixes it. I'm not well versed enough in how the certificate authority structure/networking security works.

In any case, I am now able to play multiplayer and all options are available as was before this issue started. Cheers!
    Last edited: May 13, 2018
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  4. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Please upload a full dxdiag.

I suspect you have an out of date operating system which does not have up to date root certificates.
  5. nightcross00

nightcross00 New Member

That makes sense since I do manual updates, since for some reason, updates and me have a bad history of things breaking. So I tend to be a month or two behind updates just so I know which one is good or a bad update from Microsoft. Less hair pulling for me. Though security patches gets priority so I'm usually not behind on those.

6. lorodion

lorodion Member

Just tried this but it did not work unfortunately. I am running Windows 10 64-bit version 17134.112, Windows Update says there are no available updates…

I have tried:
    1. Restarting steam
    2. Restarting computer
    3. Restarting router
    4. Disabling firewall completely (I use Window 10's firewall)
    5. Reset network configurations and change DNS
    6. Disabling all mods
    7. Launching game from the pa.exe and signing in manually
    8. Verify integrity of game. (Results: No errors/file needed to be replaced)

Any other pointers?

Attached Files:

7. DeathByDenim

You could try the list of incompatible software software here: https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Windows_Incompatible_Software
    Also are you on a university network maybe or something else that could be interfering?
  8. lorodion

lorodion Member

Don't have any software from the list and am running the game at home.
    Will try a network inspector to see which URL is contacted and what the response is.
  9. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

You mentioned restarting router.

To be sure, power it down completely by pulling the plug and removing any installed backup batteries.
    Same thing with your modem - pull the plug & remove batteries if that's the type you have..
    Wait at least 30 seconds before plugging back in.
    That should clear any cache they are holding
  10. DeathByDenim

The URL is either uberent.com or 4.uberent.com. It's the same certificate anyway. For reference, it should be this:
    Code:
    Certificate chain
    0 s:/CN=uberent.com
      i:/C=US/O=Amazon/OU=Server CA 1B/CN=Amazon
    1 s:/C=US/O=Amazon/OU=Server CA 1B/CN=Amazon
      i:/C=US/O=Amazon/CN=Amazon Root CA 1
    2 s:/C=US/O=Amazon/CN=Amazon Root CA 1
      i:/C=US/ST=Arizona/L=Scottsdale/O=Starfield Technologies, Inc./CN=Starfield Services Root Certificate Authority - G2
    3 s:/C=US/ST=Arizona/L=Scottsdale/O=Starfield Technologies, Inc./CN=Starfield Services Root Certificate Authority - G2
      i:/C=US/O=Starfield Technologies, Inc./OU=Starfield Class 2 Certification Authority
    Revocation list should be at http://crl.sca1b.amazontrust.com/sca1b.crl

By the way, if the full router/modem reset that @lulamae mentioned doesn't work, also try the clean boot option that was mentioned at the end of the incompatible software list.
  11. lorodion

lorodion Member

Thanks for the quick response!
    I used Wireshark and also found the URL you mentioned (4.uberent.com). Installing the chain of certificates from the issuers (Starfield and Amazon) did not help, however installing the actual Uberent cert did solve the problem.

Solution:
    1. Download cert, either use open ssl to download from 4.uberent.com or go to server IP (https://52.9.58.101) to avoid the redirect and download the cert via a browser
    2. Add cert to Trusted People in local machine
    3. Profit!

Attached Files:

grandhomie and lulamae like this.
  12. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

A friend had the same issue as you and fixed it using the steps you described, thanks a lot. FYI, for those wondering about your 2nd step, he followed these instructions: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/manage-trusted-root-certificates-windows