PA.exe has stopped responding 1-5 minutes into game.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by NeonTheCoder, July 1, 2017.

1. NeonTheCoder

NeonTheCoder New Member

I have been trying to play this game with a friend for a while now and whenever we try to play he crashes very soon into the game even though we have almost identical PC Specs.

Game crashes with PA.exe has stopped working, tried turning off steam overlay and updating Nvidia graphics drivers.

Game starts with the message "Possible graphics card driver crash detected!" message after crash.

His specs
    Windows 10 latest update
    AMD Ryzen 1600x 3.6ghrz
    16gb 3000mhrz ram
    GTX 960 ACX 2.0 4GB

Page file is set to have up to 14gb

Tested on Nvidia driver versions 382.05, and 384.76.

PA Log https://pastebin.com/jQxLJVm9
    DX Diag https://pastebin.com/2JnMyzvb

Edit: Happens in original Planetary Annihilation as well, the PA Log might be from the original PA, Also this is a clean install of windows with only Steam, and Nvidia Geforce Experience installed, I just built this PC for my friend and it's nerve racking that he still has problems with this game.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The DxDiag.txt is reporting crashes in nvoglv64.DLL which is part of the Nvidia drivers. It's weird that this happens after a clean install of Windows even. Are you sure you don't have any software from this list: https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Windows_Incompatible_Software ?
    (Also try the clean boot option at the end of that list)
  3. NeonTheCoder

NeonTheCoder New Member

Shadowplay is the only thing possible on that list that would be "incompatible" however the game crashes still with it disabled. I have reinstalled the drivers on the computer multiple times, and there were no other programs or games even installed on the computer. He has been wanting to play this game for a while and it was the first thing we installed after chrome and steam (windows had automatically gotten nvidia drivers that were a version lower than current). The game crashed and we updated drivers and it still happened. I confirmed it's not a hardware issue with the graphics card as I plugged in my Graphics card into his computer (same model different manufacturer EVGA vs Asus) and he still crashed. It might be an incompatibility with the drivers and the AMD RYZEN CPU, but I am not sure.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, that would be a weird connection with a Ryzen CPU. I doubt that is the case.
    Did you also try the clean boot thing?

One last thing you may still want to try is doing a clean install of the drivers. This would also be a bit weird since you have a clean install of Windows, but it probably doesn't hurt to try. So uninstall the current Nvidia drivers from the Windows Control Panel, reboot, and then reinstall the drivers again, and reboot. You may even want to try that with freshly downloaded drivers in case the download was corrupted somehow.
  5. NeonTheCoder

NeonTheCoder New Member

Unfortunately I have already done it twice already for him, and he just did it again, and the problem was not resolved. I'm not entirely sure what to connect this issue to other than the Ryzen processor because the graphics card was ruled out as it was not faulty
  6. NeonTheCoder

NeonTheCoder New Member

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I am still having this problem a year later. He just recently bought an MSI gtx 1070ti brand new, and is still crashing with the same issue. I reinstalled windows and this did not fix the issue as well. The only thing I can think of is the game is having issues with the cpu.
  7. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

DeathByDenim likes this.