Why is there so many terribads in this game?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by MarkyX, February 22, 2011.

1. Mail

Mail New Member

Oh my god why can't we just not have this discussion in every single thread? Seriously it's always the same people on either side just wanking at eachother and I'm getting tired of everyone being so juvenile. If you all just took the time to be polite and consider differing viewpoints maybe the argument wouldn't have been going on so long and so strongly.

A little grammar wouldn't hurt either.
  2. eternal

eternal New Member

*facepalm*

Just want to point out, in TF2 shotgun actually outdps' the flamethrower and is a much more effective single target weapon in the hands of a good player. However if you are facing multiple enemies, or an enemy with projectiles (demo/soldier) then the flame thrower is a better option.

Its more like watching a pyro in tf2 who uses the Backburner instead of the Flamethrower, or uses the flamethrower but never uses airblast.
  3. ohknee

ohknee New Member

Valve realized how terrible the Pyro's primary is and gave him an arguably overpowered mechanic to make up for it. And then, as if they didn't look at the Axetinguisher and then look at the ground and then look back at the Axetinguisher and then make a puzzled expression beforehand, they released the Degreaser as to further push the Pyro away from, well, being anything but an annoying gimmick class.

...And that's why I love playing Pyro. They so mad.
  4. eternal

eternal New Member

The afterburn damage by itself is fairly small. Axstinguisher is a different matter entirely. However even then you still face the issue that the pyro is less mobile than many classes. Its precisely the reason why they gave him the "attendant" buff that ups his movement to 110(however this requires giving up your axstinguisher) and why only 1 player even attempts to play pyro regularly at a competitive level.

Simply put the shotgun is a weapon on equal footing with the flamethrower for most situations. Taking out heavies and spies and engineers of course the flamethrower and the axstinguisher are most definately superior. Fighting scouts its equal footing (shotgun can two shot a scout and a good scout isnt going to make it easy to puff and sting since he can double jump out of reach after you puff him into the air and he can 2shot pyros with scattergun.) Its about equal with demomen since a good demo will be doing everything in his power to keep you out of flame thrower range, however the shotgun can do significant damage from farther away and allow you to force him to retreat. If you get the drop on a demoman the flamethrower is better. Solly flamethrower is better unless he whips out shotty and/or has a pocket medic. Medic its about even, puff and sting can potentially devestate them but it also leaves you more vunerable to a counterattack by nearby players as you have to switch weapons twice and the medic moves faster than a pyro. However the ROF on a shotgun means that if you get the drop on them you can 2shot them before they know what hit them. Its a toss up.
  5. Beargod

Beargod New Member

zomg, maybe they are learning a new class. i'm sure you have been spanked several times while learning to play.
  6. DehydratedWater

DehydratedWater New Member

I bet this guy is one of the snipers who gets like 4 kills per game and thinks he's hot ****.
  7. hickwarrior

hickwarrior New Member

I would be that sniper. Why? Because HSing is so damn hard for me. Also, this thread already ended long ago, so please let it be.
  8. Salad Snake

Salad Snake New Member

Personally I think it's because even though the characters themselves speak a lot, there is little interaction between players. There's no voice-command menu (this is the most important one imo, as most players don't actively use mics), you can't see who's talking on the mic when some DOES decide to talk, and the text input is lag-tastic. Players not communicating together means that "bad" players do not learn what they are doing suboptimally because they only learn through gameplay (bad players are typically casual players that do not look at forums or strat guides).

I can't tell you how many times I wish I had a voice command to call out assassins, or warn of and incoming juicer, or tell people that we need to focus on a certain lane without using my mic. I can't tell you how many times I wish I knew which person said there was a "Firebase to the left". These things are all minor, but they definitely add up.

These problems are unavoidable with this game being from wastelands of Xbawks Live, but I they could be fixed in time (or in Monday Night Combat 2: Tuesday Night Combat). I've always been pleasantly surprised at the quality of the game itself, but the level of communication in the game definitely needs work. I'd say a good example of effective communication systems in a game is fellow Unreal Engine mod Killing Floor by TWI. Even though it's PvE it's evident that the knowledge level is very high among the playerbase, and that is because communication is made intuitive and simple in that game. Surely some lessons could be learned for future implementation.
  9. Dragon-Guard

Dragon-Guard New Member

hmm, im sorry if this has already been asked but why arent there any ingame tutorials for the other classes?
    tbh, even the one for the assault is pretty much horrible and wil get bugged if you dont EXACTLY do want the game tells you (ill get stuck without a way to finish it).
  10. Kel

Kel New Member

I have the answer to all questions.
    Steam shows that only 55.8% got the achievement "Finish Tutorial". Seems ~45% of all newbies just start without a clue into multiplayer games.
  11. Raconteur02

Raconteur02 New Member

I don't have the "Finish Tutorial" achievement.

I do have the "6-kill multikill" achievement.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions from these two tidbits. ;)
  12. Kel

Kel New Member

You belong to a small part of the 44,2% of newbs who can play. Easy going :cool:.
  13. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Neither, both achievements were bugged on release. "easy going"
  14. Raconteur02

Raconteur02 New Member

The point that I was trying to make was that experienced players (esp. in the shooter and/or DotA genres) are very likely to skip the tutorial and just start playing. Heh.
  15. saints9r

saints9r New Member

I've been spamming every game so far with questions trying to get better yet NO-ONE responds. I don't understand a lot of things and often get raped, try to help them improve instead of being a douche.
  16. PKC

PKC New Member

im not taking time out of my game to type to someone. just watch what other players do and learn from them. there was a time in gaming where people would just learn by doing, rather than expecting everything spoonfed to them.
  17. Salad Snake

Salad Snake New Member

It's just as annoying to use the text/voice chat to answer questions as it is to ask them.
  18. Ailure

Ailure New Member

Actually there was a early bug when the game was released when some achievements wasn't awarded properly.

Including the "Finishing the tutorial" one. Which I didn't get, despite doing it once during beta, and one time right after release. Then I replayed the tutorial just to get that achievement a day after it was fixed. ;)