The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

This is a pretty good summary to be honest, as is "omg why". This is possibly one of the most destructive moves for the Israel-Palestine situation in years.
    tatsujb and tunsel11 like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@NikolaMX I am interested in the topic and what you say but you mentioned UBI untethered at the beginning and never brought it back in. were you going somewhere with this? these are true and interesting points but whether it be net neutrality, automation or UBI you didn't tie any ends.

basically I agree with what you say albeit you don't say anything in the end. perhaps you forgot some text while editing you post?
  3. tatsujb

guy places massive balls of steel on the counter-top and speaks out against the trump tax bill against his own interest on live TV.

Apparently Fox had a message to send and it got massively trolled :

Last edited: December 8, 2017
  4. NikolaMX

NikolaMX Active Member

@tatsujb yeah apparently a paragraph dissipated;
    To put it simply: due to the inevitability of shift in workforce towards online freelancing, if Net Neutrality is brought down in the present, there will be a lot of political and economic capital to reestablish it in the near future, as large companies will profit from having cheaper and more independent internet. Of course, it would be nice if we didn't ever have to heal the leg, and would rather just keep it from breaking in the first place, by the looks of it, the bill will pass and with all the other events unfolding, it will go under the radar (in IR context)
  5. tatsujb

I think by now we've made sufficient noise about it that it won't go under the radar. but it really sucks to be in a situation where we think we have democracy but when the clear majority (even including those in power) want something, we don't get it. Net neutrality being canned is a clear example of this.

Makes you feel powerless and hopeless about the current state of democracy.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Hey that's the state of democracy in America. It's been known for a while that's not in a good state. That is probably even a thing most people can agree on. Just the solution is ... something people don't agree on.

Also in positive news Doug Jones apparently won Alabama. Just by 1% or so, but given that before that the Republicans typically won by like 20-30% that is a landslide victory against Republicans in a Republican state.
    NikolaMX likes this.
  7. tatsujb

godddddam so happy roy moore didn't make it in.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  8. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Positive news: Our tribe's candidate was 0.3% more popular than an alleged child molester. Don't clap yourselves on the back too hard now.

I'm willing to admit I was totally wrong about net neutrality. Not only are they going to do slow lanes and fast lanes, they are going to do coloured lanes too!

[​IMG]
  9. elodea

10. elodea

Oh and by the way, America isn't a democracy. It's a republic, deliberately so. Always has been. Representative government; don't like your representative, vote them out. Not a particular new or hard concept to grasp.
  11. NikolaMX

NikolaMX Active Member

Let me quote my favorite meme-machine: [​IMG]

The good ol US gov was based largely on the Roman Republic

tl;dr you could serve for up to 2 years, and couldn't occupy a post twice. Also if you f* up, you'd get pulically beaten to death. Also, people actually understood basic politics. All the things that are hard to apply in modern politics due to policy continuity.

Im curious what you have in mind by solution...

But back to Net Neutrality:
    Its not about what will follow imminently, its about what will slowly creep in over time, while everyone is busy with the next trump meme. Information flow can be controlled. If i dont want you to know how the US is sponsoring saudi-arabian suni militia training camps, Ill just cut your access to all outlets that have that tag. If I want you to buy more oil, Ill slow or restrict access to all liberal media. If I dont want you watching CNN or BBC, i pout them in a more expensive pack. And yes, minorities in the US are especially vulnerable, just look at what is going on in Portugal where there are little to no Net Neutrality laws; certain episodes on corruption and exploitation are completely gone from the net there.

so GG WP mass media
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I dunno how to fix America. Probably wait and watch it burn down, somebody will tag along and rebuild it at some point? Hopefully.
  13. tatsujb

Seeing all those movies like mad max fury road and the road ect gives off the impression that Americans themselves don't believe anyone would go especially out of their way to pick america up where it to fall.
  14. tatsujb

and so it begins....
    [​IMG]
  15. elodea

Agreed. Term limits are good, and while I wouldn't go so far as beating them to death there should be heavy penalty for corruption.

However you seem gravely mistaken about any of those specific claims applying to the politics of the roman republic. The senate had no term limit. All magistrate positions could be occupied by the same person more than once. Often it just meant waiting a minimum number of years before running again for the same office, or you could just ignore it and be like Gaius Marius and hol consulship for 5 years consecutively. Also, public officials were immune from all legal proceedings against them until after they are out of office.

Oh man have you been sold a big one. I would be angry at the people who told me that If i was you, I can't stand it when people try to manipulate me with lies. Portugal is part of the EU. The EU has net neutrality laws. Portugal is subject to them. Portugal has net neutrality laws.

"Net neutrality" in the US means Title II, which means ISP's can be sued for what someone using their network says or does, which means proactive ISP censorship and blocking in order to avoid revocation of their common carrier license to operate. To call any of this "neutral" is nothing but Orwellian.

Don't believe me go ask Cola, he knows all about German internet censorship. Hey, you might even be able to make an easy buck off him betting against the US burning down.
    Last edited: December 16, 2017
    NikolaMX likes this.
  16. tatsujb

in b4 :
    "The whole of FBI needs to be shut down because that one agent was anti trump during his assignment on the hillary emails!"
    NikolaMX likes this.
  17. elodea

Good to see you've progressed to creating whole extravagant strawmen out of thin air just so you have something to punch. Who on here was going to say that? Do you feel the need to get out infront of something? Is there someone inside of you saying something you don't want to hear? You should probably listen to that inner voice instead of fighting it before it disappears completely.

It's boringly obvious at this point to any reasonable person that Hillary and corruption went hand in hand to the point that it doesn't really need to be stated anymore. Water is wet - wow. Instead of jailtime for gross negligence handling classified information, she got a nice holiday courtesy of people in the FBI with TDS.
  18. tatsujb

wow do you realize noone in this thread disagreed with her eventual corruption and those same people all stated it's irrelevant to trump's own corruption?

the "nothing burger" turned out not to be a "nothing" but any glimmer of hope that it might be abandoned, you guys latch onto likes flies to honey.

that's what I'm criticizing.

let trump be incarcerated and let it happen before hillary. even that is fair. yes he is more guilty and yes there is more proof. why is it so hard to admit?
  19. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Standard diversion tactic. Trump does something? But Hillary... If people want to clean corruption out of politics, then hold them accountable. Yet in stead of going "we hate Hillary's rich people connections so we'll vote for someone without them" they go " we'll vote for someone with even more rich people connections".

Everything people hated (or said they hated) in Hillary is present in Trump. What's worse is that people seem to have forgotten that primaries are a thing and that they didn't have to choose the people they chose in the first place.

Trump isn't even hiding the blatant neposism and isn't hiding the favors being cashed in, ranging from judges with direct ties to the WH to massive tax cuts to himself and cronies. Yet point out that they hated this in Hillary and they'll go "but hillary..."
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. NikolaMX

NikolaMX Active Member

On Rome; it was just an example of why a modern democratic Republic can't work nothing like good ol' ream senate.

Factual fallacy: EU laws on net neutrality
    1) are not absolute, and rather mostly in principle
    2) under certain circumstances, local governments can create additional clauses that can outright negate an EU policy. This is common practice on the Balkans where I lived, but is also notable in the West.

Portugal is one of the worst examples.

Factual fallacy: US Net Neutrality and Title II
    Title II states that its not ISPs that can be sued for content posted via them, but rather websites and website domains.

https://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=20465

Attached Files:

Last edited: December 18, 2017