[Linux] Graphics issues

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by tr26, July 12, 2017.

1. tr26

tr26 New Member

I'm having problems with the game Planetary Annihilation: TITANS. When i start it, it starts normally but has severe graphics glitches (appropriately named screenshot attached). When I start it with --software-ui the menu is black and I am not able to play the game. Refreshing with F5, resizing the window, and switching between windowed and fullscreen mode with Alt+Enter does not help with either problem. I tried starting PA with STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam and then launched it, launching it without steam doesn't help either.
    I have Debian testing with kernel 4.11 and this is the output of glxinfo | grep OpenGL:
    OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
    OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.10.0 / 4.11.0-1-amd64, LLVM 3.9.1)
    OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 13.0.6
    OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30
    OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
    OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
    OpenGL core profile extensions:
    OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
    OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
    OpenGL context flags: (none)
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 13.0.6
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.10
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    Output of inxi -G:
    Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
    Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.3 ) drivers: amdgpu (unloaded: modesetting)
    Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz, 1920x1080@60.00hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD POLARIS10 (DRM 3.10.0 / 4.11.0-1-amd64, LLVM 3.9.1)
    version: 4.3 Mesa 13.0.

I have a RX 480 and use the amdgpu drivers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: August 19, 2017
    emarkus likes this.
  2. mason1920

mason1920 New Member

I'm having the same issue on Debian 9 AMD64
    stats are:
    • Ryzen 5 1600x @ 4.1 GHz
    • AMD/ATI R7 240 (2GB memory)
    • OpenGL 4.3 (core profile)
    • Mesa 13.0.6
    • Linux 4.9
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hi, I think your best bet might be to try the open source driver rather than the one from AMD. AMD have basically changed tack and the open source driver is now the one you should be using on Linux (the propitiatory driver is slower and aimed at professional workloads instead of games). As I understand it the only down side to that is you can't use some of the power saving features but I doubt that is a huge problem.

I no longer have an AMD card to test with or I'd check to see if that resolves the issue, however I used to be able to run PA fine on my R9 280 (which is an older card admittedly). That was using open source drivers on the last LTS release of Ubuntu (honestly can'r remember the name now haha).
  4. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

5. lifeenthusiast

lifeenthusiast New Member

I have exactly the same problem on an i7 7700K system with 16Gb RAM and rx 580 Nitro+ graphics atop Fedora 27:

I get the animation at the beginning, and later a completely blank welcome/menu screen with just a thin bar at the bottom (which seems an overlay with a list of servers or something similar).

If I find out this is a driver problem I'd wait for Mesa 17.3 + Linux 4.15.x. But if this is a game related bug I'd check whether they are actually interested in solving it. If not, the next step would be asking a refund from Steam.

The thing is, I can't find a single official reply about this issue. Is this new or have they already replied?. Is there a place where I can fill a ticket or collaborate with information?. This is unclear to me after checking out this thread and the info on bug reports...

Cheers!.
  6. mikeyh

Unknown what the issue is at this time. There are people playing on Linux (not many).

I won't be making a pass on Linux for a while. When I do the focus will be on Mesa 17 / Ubuntu 18 / Linux 4.15 with the new patches.

Even then I'm not sure how much I'll be able to do with Coherent UI in the mix and my lack of Linux desktop experience. My Linux experience is all Debian / Ubuntu servers.

Side note: My RX 580 eGPU works really well on macOS even via Thunderbolt 2.

If someone Linux / OpenGL savvy wants to help then let me know.
  7. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I am on Ubuntu 17.10, so that's kernel 4.13.0 and Mesa 17.2.2. I installed the RX 550 (2GB version) just days ago to drive a 4K monitor and the title screen works fine for me.

However, during a game the UI is very sluggish though and prone to screen corruption. I haven't determined yet if that is due to running at 4K or due to the amdgpu drivers. The game runs at a comfortable 25fps at the start though, so I'm not sure why the UI would be so sluggish. It barely reacts to mouse clicks. To drag I have to hold the mouse button for a second or two before I can move it. I didn't have those issues on my laptop's Geforce GT 650M at 4K with Ubuntu 16.04.

Oh, and I should mention that I run PA outside of Steam. I also got rid of the steam-runtime stuff so that PA uses my system libraries instead.
  8. DeathByDenim

9. mikeyh

Is that device input lag or delayed Coherent panel updates? Is it the same with mouse and keyboard input?

Are the issues always within Coherent panels or do they also apply to main holodeck content?

Maybe try 4.15 RC 7 via UKUU.
  10. mikeyh

11. DeathByDenim

So I did some more tests. Keyboard works quickly, so no lag there. It is just the mouse events that are not well registered. Also I discovered that I can get rid of the mouse lag by not playing full screen on 4K. If I reduce the window size to about 1/3, mouse operations functions smoothly again.

In ever case, I still get the screen corruption though. And those only occur in places where the UI is supposed to be. No issues with the holodeck.

I'll try the 4.15RC7 kernel soon too and let you know.
  12. DeathByDenim

So I tried the 4.15RC7 kernel and no change with the graphic glitches. Here's a 4K screenshot that I've rescaled to a more forum-appropriate size:
    Screenshot_2018-01-11_11-38-28.png

EDIT: I'm not sure what went wrong with the sun there... I think the screenshotting tool messed that up. It definitely did not look like that in-game.
    Last edited: January 11, 2018
  13. lifeenthusiast

I'm no expert, but you won't get good performance on anything rx550 going 4K. Most of the times you won't with an rx 580. Even with the latest improvements [...]

This game is known for being a bit demanding from hardware as far as I can tell from Internet forums and YouTube.

Maybe you are asking too much from this game in particular. :confused:
  14. lifeenthusiast

Also tried my hypothesis on Linux 4.15 (rc 5 and rc 6) + Mesa 17.3.x from rawhide.

No useful results, so went back to stable. Already found the proper channel to submit bugs so I'll try there.

Cheers!.
  15. DeathByDenim

Ah yeah, definitely. I'm actually surprised at the frame rate it is able to produce (25fps with just the commander).
    This was just for testing purposes for the amdgpu driver.

I get further than you for some reason though. The main menu works fine for me and I can actually get into a game.
    By the way, how many CoherentUI_Host processes do you have running? I have 9 when I'm just in the main menu. I wondering if maybe some of them crashed for you.
  16. DeathByDenim

Just a minor update. I tried the latest released v4.15.5 kernel to test PA, but the behaviour remains unchanged. I also tried it with amdgpu.dc=1 to see if that made a difference, but it didn't. There is still corruption of the UI as in the screenshot I posted earlier.
  17. mason1920

mason1920 New Member

I now have an AMD/ATI RX 480 on Debian 10 and the issue is still present.
  18. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Please open a new ticket at https://support.planetaryannihilation.com/index.php

And be sure to include the latest PA client logs and server logs:
    https://support.planetaryannihilation.com/kb/faq.php?id=182

and System Info file:
    https://support.planetaryannihilation.com/kb/faq.php?id=212