Future Events - Ideas/Planning

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Murcanic, September 12, 2017.

1. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Hello! I am getting back into PA and have been thinking the more events we have the better. So I have some ideas of some fun "mini game" type of Tourneys to get used to arranging them before doing some other events.

I am prepared to start arranging these events but before I do so I'd like to get some input on the ranking systems for the players and what people are most interested in.

1v1 Com-boxing Tourney
    -Where some maps are premade (probably 3) each player removes a map from the pool to play on and the remaining map is played on till the death. matches should be short, limited metal and a small battle area to keep in the spirit comboxing (I don't plan on using the comboxing mod)

1v1 Boom-Bot War Tourney
    -Where some maps are premade (probably 3) each player removes a map from the pool to play on and the remaining map is played on till the death. Likely to be short battles with lots of explosions. metal will likely depend on map. I plan on getting players to use the Boom Bot Server mod.

*EDIT* additional event ideas
    1v1 Water Planet Wars
    -As Title says a 1v1 on a full water planet thus no bot or vehicle factories. I don't think many people play with much water in their battles so a full water planet might be fun :3 (also reminds me of the first match of my KOTP vs Matiz good times those were)
    *Edit end*

Those are the two ideas I plan to start with if there are other fun mini games that someone thinks might be fun please tell me about it below, Also after these and the experience of running them I am thinking of doing standard non mini game single planet 1v1/2v2 matches and can also run 2v2 or 3v3 of the ideas above. *EDIT* The future plans after the mini games, The 2v2 and maybe 3v3 standard matches will be team games where anyone can join as a team, no clan needed mix and match with new players encouraged.

The hope is to have good sim rate while mixing up some play styles of players and exposing more people to the mini games and different types of maps.

Type of ranking system for tourneys
    Swiss - 5 rounds?

Standard Bracket 1 elimination out

Standard Bracket with losers bracket

Standard Bracket with 3 rounds between match ups.

^ those are the systems I am aware of that have been used before if there are better systems feel free to let me know. Any Advice on which of these would be better for which tourney's please let me know below :)

Timing of the tourney
    Set a time and start for each round and have all players meet up at once for their matches
    or
    Set a week that the two players matched together have to meet up and have their match

-then report the results in combo with PA Stats (assuming still working)
    Have players list contact info of PA username and say discord name in order to arrange match plus timezone or time range/day most likely to be available.

I plan to reach out to multiple PA pages to advertise these tourney's when dates and sign ups are complete. Also will need to look into PA stats or another method to confirm results, its been awhile since I've been in the tourney scene so any tips are welcome.

Thanks for reading this and I look forward to working on these :)

*EDIT* If you are a caster and might want to take part in casting some of these matches in these events please also let me know :) will of course figure out more details as dates and details are figured out.

*EDIT* If you are the creator of one of these mods and don't want a tourney run in it or know of some bugs/ issues since it was released please let me know so I can adapt accordingly :)
    Last edited: September 12, 2017
    aknof, cdrkf, Clopse and 2 others like this.
  2. Murcanic

Even if you have no Ideas or Recommendations for the above ideas. Please like this post if one of the above Ideas interests you and you might like to play in one of them. :3
  3. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

3v3v3 tournaments?
    Rainbow Racers and Guma Guma Slide games?
    Murcanic likes this.
  4. Murcanic

3v3v3 might be possible later on I don't plan to start with them though.

As for Rainbow Racers and Guma Guma Slide I've heard of these but never played them will try them out tonight and see how they work.

I know people love them or at least did back when I heard of them so it's certainly likely I could make events around them. There is a server mod that makes them possible I assume?
  5. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Neat idea!
    I also like the idea of 3v3v3 tourneys.
    cdrkf, Nicb1 and Murcanic like this.
  6. Murcanic

Thanks!
    Also do you like the 3v3v3 for standard games or for the mini games or both?
  7. gitaxian

gitaxian Member

Unit Rush is another mod we could run an event for.
    river39 and Murcanic like this.
  8. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Standard.
    Mods are best as BIG free for alls.
    aknof, cdrkf, stuart98 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Murcanic

I'll check this game out tonight as well see how it plays and then how I could work it into an event.

Cool will think about it for standard game events after I get some experience with the mini games.
    I agree that mods are best as big FFA but its kinda hard to do a event around it IMO but maybe this event will lead to more people finding out about these modded games and we will get more lobbies of them going around who knows xP overall I hope people have fun ^^
  10. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Id like me some FFA too. It's still in the pipeline to do some kind off FFA tourney as soon as I have the maps.

These mini events. I think structure in these is most important. If you can make em come back weekly on the same day same time then people will anticipate and plan for it. You should be able to gather a solid player base overtime.
    Murcanic likes this.
  11. Murcanic

An FFA Tourney would be chaos but a fun chaos xP keep me posted on it I'd love to play in it :3

also thanks for the tip I was leaning towards the week span to complete the matches you have been assigned that way anyone from any timezone could still play but I wonder if I could merge the two ideas where most games happen at a certain time but players can opt to do it at another time in the week.

Certainly for swiss if I released the matches people need to do on Monday, they have till Saturday at some time to do it on their own time and host the big event for most players that have the time slot on the Sunday. or something along those lines.
  12. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

13. Murcanic

Just finished testing these mods. I have an issue with the Rainbow Racers mod as all 4 maps in the RR map pack are broken and won't let you get to the end.

Other then that though both mods look like they could have events done with them, 10 person lobbies with RR and I'd probably revert to the 1v1 model for events for guma but I am seeing demand for FFA mini games.

Hey thanks for the input :) though how would swiss FFA work? the one winner gets 1-0 and the rest all get 0-1?

I tested out unit rush as well it has some path finding issues here and there but overall the concept is good, will have to test it a bit more and see if lazer towers aren't a bit over powered or not in it.

So overall I am wondering if I should be making tourney's or just more like a weekly game day where people with the maps and mods host lobbies and play these fun little game types as large FFA's like a Mini Game Monday's or a Friday Fun Day (names not finalized) but ya so instead of some of these mini game events getting their own tourney since many of them are better as large FFA's and its kinda hard to figure out for sure who is the best in a FFA style tourney as far as I am aware of anyway.

Please let me know what you guys prefer/think. Certainly the mini game days would be open lobbies so anyone could join at any time which might increase the amount of people that take part in it :) (many players aren't on forum or discord right?)
  14. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Good question.
    I was thinking more like, winner gets 10, last place gets 1. Maybe extra points of com kills. Or maybe say 5 points for a win 3 for second, 1 for third, plus a point for each com kill.
    How swiss tie breaks work, may take some thinking about, but after a few round of FFA it would be less likely anyways.

Ideally it would be nice to have a mod or in game option to hide who your opponents are, like you have in off world trading company. This would need work to both the lobby and in game. It could help stop high level player from being picked on front the start and prevent lower ranked player from feeling intimidated by high level players.
  15. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

I'll gladly play some rainbow racers. I remember being very good!
    Murcanic likes this.
  16. river39

river39 Active Member

Glad you liked the mod, path finding for the "guard" functionality is terrible yes. you need to pick the right maps for this mod.
    lazer towers ain't OP cos grenadiers and other long range units use there max range and would kill it with ease. the mod makes some units that use to be useless great and some great units useless.
    Murcanic likes this.
  17. Murcanic

Would be harder to set up then say PA stats on 1v1's but its possible to do. Do people want ranked FFA's or just a day to meet up and play large lobbies of FFA mini games?

No clue how one might do the name hiding mod but I understand the idea of having it, I would hope that for mini games people don't care as much or the top tier players aren't also amazing at all the mini games xD

^^ Cool, I'll have to get in contact with the map makers or figure out how to make my own as every map in the map pack is broken...

fair enough. I tested it on large moon when I did it, looked like some units got caught on factories but maybe I just built the base too close together.

Overall I'll do more testing on these gamemodes, but certainly all could be done up for an event though I am still unsure if people want ranked FFA's or just a day to gather people for mini games FFA's

I personally don't see ranked FFA's being as easy to host as the 1v1 tourneys or the event gathering mini game days...