game crashed and now doesn't work

Discussion in 'Support!' started by ichinzen, July 22, 2017.

1. ichinzen

ichinzen New Member

I was playing planetary titans when the game crashed and went into a black blank screen it caused mycomputer to become unresponsive and forced me to restart it. However now whenever i try to play either game titans or planetary annihilation, all i get is a blank black screen.

Just before the game crashed the screen flickered black for a second as if another program was trying to get on top.

Also has anyone else experienced this at all or am i literally the only person to come across this. I should also note that i use steam. I've also reinstalled both games multiple times, with no luck on getting either one to work.

I haven't started using mods yet either.

the uploaded file has the tail end of everything that day.

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 22, 2017
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The PA log shows that it is unable to load several files. So it looks like the game data became corrupted. Reinstalling should have fixed that though, so that is kind of weird. Just in case, can you try verifying the game cache in Steam? See here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335

If that doesn't work, can you try installing the game on your C drive instead of D to see if that makes a difference?
  3. ichinzen

ichinzen New Member

Verfiying the files was the next thing i did after reinstalling. But everything is pretty much on d drive as i leave c drive alone so that my operating system has a lot of memory to work with when necessary. Why would moving it from d to c drive fix the issue? Also i should not this is not the only game to stop working after the sudden crash. Another steam game idling to rule the gods is also not working when prior to the game crash it was. I had been playing that for about a month prior. Somehow i feel the two issues aren't separate.

I can't understand why every other game would work on d and this one doesn't. It doesn't make sense to me.

Since outdated drivers weren't the cause (the game ran fine on them) and updating them didn't fix the issue and reinstalling it and verifying it didn't fix the issue, it became obvious what the only other possible culprit could be once you mention file corruption. Considering the fact malwarebyte was not working at all (had to reinstall it) It became apparent that a virus was behind everything and after removing it everything is working including the other game idling to rule the gods. I was right about the issues not being separate.
    Last edited: July 22, 2017
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Moving to a different drive was meant for testing the drive. The game is reporting that is suddenly cannot access certain files, so if moving the game from the D drive to the C drive makes PA work again, then something weird would be going on with the D drive. Especially if other games are also behaving weirdly.

But anyway, you already found the cause, so great! Happy PA-ing again!
  5. ichinzen

ichinzen New Member

One of the reason why i thought that it couldn't be the drive was because an unrelated game idling to rule the gods and another game running on physx sanicball which i downloaded to give me something to do were acting funny as well namely in that they had no interaction with the mouse even when right clicked aside from the area atop the window. However not all physx games acted up, which meant that if it was the drive it was an unusually inconsistent problem.