Supreme Commander 2D trailer, where did it go?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Engineer1234, April 29, 2017.

1. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

I need your help.
    I think it was 2005 or 2006 when I saw my first trailer for Supreme Commander.
    This was not the Supcom you remember playing, it was 2D and seemed to be running on the Total Annihilation engine, the trailer was awesome but "this" game never materialized.

Here are two stills from the trailer, please help me find this video, I've been looking for it for years.
    It was similar to the final Supcom ingame trailer in that it showed spiderbots mowing down tiny enemy units, and a nuke striking the center of that iconic land bridge from Seton's Clutch.

Do you know this video? have you seen it? I really really want go get my hands on it again.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Remy561 likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it's been missing from online. it's only referenced in articles of 2007 and the likes. I think it was actually the supcom engine but before they switched it to full 3D. Supcom had a long dev period and over that period the techs graphics and non-graphics changed alot. I've actually never seen it personally but i've seen plenty of stills from it and articles referencing it. it's entirely absent from youtube and that's the best place to look. the other best place to look would have been the GPG forum : even if it didn't have a link it would have left a breadcrumb trail. but that's now absent from the web as well. there's this : http://archive.is/forums.gaspowered.com but it's not good enough.
    Last edited: April 29, 2017
    Engineer1234 likes this.
  3. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

4. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Can't find any video before this one.
  5. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

Oh man that really takes you back don't it.
  6. tatsujb

yeah! damn that vid is good in so many ways. boy Chris Taylor looked so young!
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

8. tatsujb

Chris Taylor is like peter pan to me. I spend my time at the windowsill waiting for the day he'll finally return.
  9. jables

jables Uber Employee

If it helps, the images you posted were in the SupCom engine, and were 3d, just with early textures, effects (none of the effects were optimized and many were billboards. that nuke was made by our lead designer as the FX artist wasn't on the team yet) and lighting. It was the same demo we set up for our E3 announcement, but with it running at like 2fps, so it was a frame capture to make the video. This was also right before Chris decided it was too brightly colored and we moved to a more evergreen style color scheme for greens and pre-waves in water making it look more like primary colors. I think I was running the tradeshow demos and taking most of those screenshots at the time, and remember having to frame advance through that build for hours on end. By the time we went to E3 we had it at a better framerate, though you could still see some stuttering when I drop the camera to horizon. Was a very early build. SupCom was one of my favorite games I've been able to work on :) So many good memories.

If I recall we never did release a 2d demo, as even the proof of concept video we made to pitch the game was made in max. At one point we did have 2d billboard style trees, but they got replaced suuuuper early in development.

This was the fancier version of the same demo once we got it running better for E3.
    Last edited: May 31, 2017
  10. jables

jables Uber Employee

Also interestingly enough, before this video, I had a few screenshots that got released before we set the Aeon green, Cybran red, UEF blue color schemes and I was using random colors for each. I think it had yellow Aeon and green Cybran.. I know Chris vetoed my pink unit ones.
    Remy561, Devak, tatsujb and 3 others like this.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The Aeon should've been pink imo :p Pink is an underrepresented colour in RTS games!
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Damn that Trailer causes so much nostalgia.

And now we know it is partly Chris Taylors fault.
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. jables

jables Uber Employee

I think we shipped with pink.. just not as a main faction color :p I fought with a designer to use pink in every playtest.
  14. tatsujb

hey what do you think of FAF. curious.
  15. tatsujb

actually wherever it's an option I'd say quite the opposite. on FAF we have two different pinks and everyone's always trying to be both. most pros play as pink. voodoo zock lu_xun (before he started doing cyan more often)...
  16. jables

jables Uber Employee

I think it's awesome and I'm super happy to see the game still being loved so long after release. I logged in about a year ago to chat with folks. They had a lot of good questions and was fun to share some trivia from development. I was sad that my gpgnet custom icon wasn't there, but was good to see a few of the custom we had ones made the transition.
  17. Devak

Devak Post Master General

God, it's still a great trailer. I remember first seeing it and it just kept escalating far beyond what it'd seen.

The giant sub, large air fleets, ships going on land (one of my favorite features of all time), gargantuan tanks and robots and then it still managed to end in a nuke. I'd played Command and Conquer mostly, and watching what would normally be unique game-ending weapons were just now crawling over the battlefield as armies.
  18. tatsujb

Yeah i far as I know we never had access to GPG data nor did we sync GPG and FAF account. We do link to steam now though.

anf if you try the Java client you'll see achievements are back and in a big way. drawn by yours truely.

it not unreasonable to ask a mod to have your avatar or equivalent back though. it's worth the shot.
  19. jables

jables Uber Employee

I feel like it's y'alls thing now. Coming in asking for special treatment seems odd. I'm just glad it's living on.
    Remy561 and tatsujb like this.
  20. tatsujb

Hey I'm not saying they'd give it to ya : ) I'm just saying it never hurts to try.

As a generality GPG and cavedogs dev do get what you could call "special treatment" on FAF.... at the very least endless praise :D