Thesis ideas please..Heelp!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by olexi, April 10, 2017.

1. olexi

olexi New Member

Hallo everyone. So because my Husband is from the UK; we are usually back and forth London and Florida. So anyway, i will soon have to hand in a thesis idea. I wanted to write on the refugee issue in the EU; but i have really no idea on how to frame this exactly. Any ideas on this?? Would appreciate some insight into this. Contradictions are also welcomed. Thank you!
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

@olexi my take is if this topic is something you need insight on then it's not the right thesis topic for you. on top of this the refugee crisis is an insanely touchy subject. any sidestep will make you look like a fool to your evaluators. I personally wouldn't want to have to write my thesis on it.

As for "how to frame this" : this is how and no other way :
    Last edited: April 17, 2017
    olexi likes this.
  3. olexi

olexi New Member

Thank you for saying this. It's true, this topic is very very sensitive, and i am thinking of changing it overall.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

If you want to add an extra spin on it- you can look into how the refugee crisis has been manipulated / used for other political goals (e.g. Brexit) "take back control of the borders"- when in actual fact the PM herself has said after all of this that "net migration is unlikely to change after Brexit"... It's a very complicated topic- certainly lots to look into for a thesis. The tricky part will be keeping it focused enough haha.
  5. tatsujb

well a thesis on "adverse effects/negative impact of the immigration crisis of 2014-present day" is something that is much more pinpoint and much less touchy. there there's plenty to say and at worse you "forgot" an axis that deserved pole or quasi-pole position but that's less of a foul then the possible fouls I mentioned earlier.
  6. olexi

olexi New Member

Who are you referring to PM in this case? A.Merkel?
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Theresa May (UK PM)... A link to a relevant article:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politic...theresa-may-triggers-article-50-politics-live

Edit: The irony of the above is that the campaign over here revolved around 'too many migrant workers', who were made into a political scapegoat for all of the UK's problems. The reality is though that unemployment in the UK is really low, and we rely on migrant workers to fill the gap in the labor market. To my mind it means one of the main pillars on which the 'leave' campaign was based was totally misrepresented.
    olexi and tatsujb like this.
  8. olexi

olexi New Member

Thanks for sharing this. I am still weighing my options whether i really want to do immigration, because i feel like it could evoke emotions. Being that i am someone who does not believe in any form of discrimination, this would be going against my principles.
  9. tatsujb