[WIP] Alien and Utopian Colored Biomes (Client-side only MOD)

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by maxpowerz, September 30, 2013.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

EDITED

!!!Alien Biome Mod v.01!!!

Temporarily taken down Mod until PA is ready to use this type of mod.
    The 2 files included in this "Biome mod.zip" will add "Alien Template" planet to system editor.

they are :-
    system_editor.js
    this file needs to replace the one in this folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\ui\alpha\system_editor

and
    alien.json
    this file needs to go into this folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\pa\terrain

Done! :)
    you should now have a box in your system editor that says alien template, and when you select it it will add an alien.json planet to the system (i made the atmosphere and specular highlights green, i made this as a placeholder while i finish making the custom tree biome and green water map)

P.S this only works in the system editor ,, Custom Planets wont load in games yet!!!
    This is for modding purposes only!! to help or to inspire the creation of new biome types.
    -----Original Post -------

I have an idea to add 2 new biomes.
    or This could easily be done by UberTeam artist's at a later point when Beta Development isn't as demanding as it may be now.

it would be good if i or uber could clone the Tropical Biome and create 2 new boimes "Alien" and Utopian" with color shifted textures. and slightly modified tree brushes.

Adding example pictures
    Alien.jpg
    utopian.jpg
    Last edited: October 31, 2013
  2. maxpowerz

if these were implemented into the end game it could add more diversity to the procedurally generated galaxy.
  3. maxpowerz

Slowly making new Biomes happen, still need some uber help later to get Template icon working and water a bit better looking.
    template icon.jpg
    Last edited: October 2, 2013
    vackillers likes this.
  4. maxpowerz

Working on second Mod idea,

Instead of just adding 2 new "Clone Biomes" im going to try to add a slider to the system editor "planet editor" user interface to change a biomes atmosphere RGB values and land/water Specular highlight values.

This should eliminate the need to create new planet-template.json's just to change planets coloring.

This may take some time as i may need to impose a set of rules for the sliders, i have noticed some color values have a very unusual or glitched appearances when planet is built/previewed (this could be due to my intel integrated graphics tho!)
    Last edited: October 1, 2013
  5. maxpowerz

fixed water.jpg Fixed water issue, was missing a papa for the texture.
    Last edited: October 2, 2013
    vackillers likes this.
  6. maxpowerz

!!!ALIEN BIOME MOD v.01!!! (very outdated)

The 2 files included in this mod.zip will add "Alien Template" planet to system editor.

they are :-
    system_editor.js
    this file needs to replace the one in this folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\ui\alpha\system_editor

and
    alien.json
    this file needs to go into this folder
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\pa\terrain

Done! :)
    you should now have a box in your system editor that says alien template, and when you select it it will add an alien.json planet to the system (i made the atmosphere and specular highlights green)

Attached Files:

Last edited: March 20, 2014
    vackillers likes this.
  7. Baleur

Baleur Member

Awesome. We need more planet types and biomes. Even if they are only recolored existing biomes.
    More variety is always good.

Would be cool with like red sand on deserts like mars, and having the cracks in ice planets be reddish like on europa.
  8. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Didn't Spore have what were pretty much paint-pallets for planets, so you could launch rockets into the atmosphere, at the ground or at the ocean and change the color of the entire planet?

That'd be pretty cool to have in PA. It wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, as the color of a planet is determined by its mineral composition, the color spectrum its star outputs and what kind of atmosphere it has...

But whatever.
  9. maxpowerz

PA uses the same style of game engine tech as spore to create deformed shpere's, and the basic atmopshere color (Radial Blurred and Transparent Sphere bigger than the planet to make color atmosphere).
    In the system editor with a few changes in the system_editor.js file you can add a slider to change RGB of atmosphere color, but it doesn't save the changes , just lets you Preview the color it will be then it saves it as its default color.

Here's some more Demo art i made.
    This one Demonstrates a "Dynamic Volumetric Atmosphere" or Spore styled planet atmosphere.
    I may be able to add this as a MOD but it wont be easy, i will most probably need to patch the game engine to get it to work. which i cant do yet :( but maybe soon.

--Edited---
    I made this planetoid rough and spikey so you can see the depth of my atmosphere.
    PeggleFrank and vackillers like this.
  10. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

impressive max... keep going there is a lot more you could potentially do with this mod in way of colours, atmosphere density and alien vegetation

Love it....
  11. evilotioncr2

evilotioncr2 New Member

Could you please update this mod?
  12. maxpowerz

Yes, but even if you install an updated version it currently doesn't function when playing AI or multiplayer games, it only works in the system editor at this point in time, it will most likely stay like this till release (all the game runs server side and some mods like planet biomes and adding new units don't work at this current point in time)
  13. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Would this work now that server mods are a thing?

Revive pls. :)
    PeggleFrank and squishypon3 like this.
  14. maxpowerz

I'll try to revive this mod when i have some free time.
    I have been very busy with life issues and haven't had time to work on PA modding or to even visit the forum on a regular basis to assist people :(

Hopefully i will have some time to put toward this soon but at the moment it may be a few months before this gets worked on.
    Sorry guys :(
  15. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

Updated this mod, so that it works again. Still does not allow multiplayer.

Mod is in attachement zip.

Attached Files:

maxpowerz likes this.
  16. maxpowerz

Thank-you @emarkus
    I haven't been online very much so i haven't had time to maintain some of the mods i have made.

If i manage to download the game soon i'll add more variant's (Blood Red, Alien Green, Utopia Purple) each a different atmosphere coloring.
    I still want to look into modifying the editor at some point to add sliders to adjust the RGB of each biome so we don't need to add new templates, just modify atmosphere color on the existing biomes we have already.
    Also at some point i might get around to adding in planetary rings, dynamic atmospheres (clouds and fog) and some other fancy effect's i learnt to make using puppets.
    Last edited: March 23, 2017
    billthebluebot likes this.