The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I didn't even realise the racism inherent in "one and a half black men", you can consider that the Bonus Round.
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Can you explain that inherent racism?
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

so there's no distinction in europe (and other places where latent racism has been wiped from the majority of people's minds) between a black and a white man therefore it's a purely racist-minded concept to be able to count men to halves.

see if you're neither black nor white then you're not half back or half white either.
  4. tatsujb

I like how you guys have no trouble at all admitting you're heading for a totalitarian america and that doesn't seem to worry you.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

False equivalency. The point was clearly wealth. Apparently you don't think so if you change the subject like that, despite the fact you're the one that brought up dem saudis are rich when dose syrians are poor. Yet, it's always wealth, and never race, but that "white cis male garbage" will be the enemy every time though. If they keep you chasing the wrong targets, oppression will circle-jerk itself rather than be corrected. Religion, no wait, race, no wait, gender, no wait, sexual orientation, no wait, religion, no wait, gender, no wait, race, no wait... ...just stop with it already, it's ALWAYS wealth.

I complain about the police state every 8 of my posts. In what way does it seem to you that I'm not worried? Was worried enough to vote Libertarian, the one choice out of 3 to go LESS authoritarian.
  6. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

I don't like your explanation because:

- I agree that in some places in Europe, such as Spain, there is not that hard line between blacks and whites that many people seem to have in US, Jamaica... BUT in this thread, racism in the US is an important topic so thetrophysystem wanted to show that money beats racism in the US.

- I think that counting Michael Jackson as 1/2 of a black was a joke.

And racism wasn't wiped from Spain, it was just too difficult to flowrish in a place where no one is white or black but lighter or darker and the skin color have very little to do with people's religion or culture.
  7. tatsujb

I know that defeats the joke but since we're past that anyways could you explain how it is funny to me? legitimate naïveté on my part here.

EDIT: we've covered the half and half thing. the actual humor is where I'm lost. For example try to apply the same construct of the joke but to another concept/descent/ect...
  8. Gorbles

trophy, you don't get to decide what my points are. I quite clearly mentioned race (and wealth), so no wriggle room for you there I'm afraid ;)

And gmase, calling something a joke doesn't absolve it of racism. And quite honestly, I don't care whether or not you "like" explanations given to you. People rarely do when it comes to confronting their bias. Heaven knows I don't.
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  9. arseface

arseface Post Master General

He's a black man who had his skin turned white because of repeated plastic surgery and skin bleaching. So the joke is that he doesn't completely count as a black person anymore.
  10. tatsujb

you quoted me there saying the half white half black thing is already cleared up but that I needed further explanation or another example of the joke with perhaps different context so as to explain the humor.

I'm persuaded there's technicalities I'm missing here because being fully aware of the context and trying my darnedest to get to the drop I just can't seem to get a laugh out of it.

not trying to be obtuse I just want to be proved wrong that this isn't HURR DURR kinda funny and has actual comedic worth. because.... as an example.... I can understand a severely mentally handicapped person laughing at squashing a rabbit's head with a rock but I won't make that handicapped person's laugh make the act rise to the standard of a joke. D'you follow?

I mean I think the term joke is officially off the cards here. Or I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, did you have a laugh?
    Last edited: March 16, 2017
  11. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Gotcha, I thought you just meant that you get they were calling him half black and didn't know why.

It's not the best joke, but it is one. Basically it's calling something by another name to force a perspective shift. It's about as funny as me calling coffee bean water. You might chuckle, but that's about it.
    tatsujb likes this.
  12. thetrophysystem

Bingo. He was entirely black, he has a skin condition. It was a joke.

If he was actually half black, "political correctness" does not a factual statement make. Saying it's "rude" does not change it being correct, just like saying one is black does not make them black if they were in fact white. They can acculturate, I am a weeabo myself, but it's disingenuous to say you can't call someone what they factually are. That's like saying what they are, is offensive. My family is strongly interracial, it's no shame because it's 2 fully functional humans.

You're trying to make everything super serious offensive Trump's fascist followers who want to cleanse the planet kind of bull crap. It's not. It was a joke, and I don't even like Trump.

You know what's super offensive? When someone takes offense to someone, who takes offense to the offense. Like George Takei, civil rights activist, japanese internment camp when he was little, LGBT community activist, and he mentions blackface once and everyone friendly-fires him, like wot m8 he's on your side bucha trigger-twits. He wasn't being racist by making a comment acknowledging blacks as a color of skin some humans have.

Some people are black, they apply to be cable guys or sunglasses salesmen in my experience, relatively white-collar middle-class jobs, and they live equally fulfilling lives. Some get prosecuted over marijuana, which is bullshit of anyone of any skin color, and that's why we need to legalize that. It's not about what color they are, it's about the government wronging generally everyone and specifically the poor.
  13. Gorbles

General reminder that "political correctness" is a phrase made popular by conservatives who don't like to be told how they're being bigoted.

There are no "sides".

Takei screwing up is Takei screwing up, regardless of his other virtues. This isn't a bank, you don't withdraw and deposit credit. Bigotry is bigotry. Amsuing that you would like elodea's posts about tribalism and how I see people only in ideological groupings, when you attempt to do the same right here :)

And nevermind your hilarious insistence that only wealth is relevant. Wealth absolutely is. But race is as well.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  14. thetrophysystem

Cool story. No. Political correctness, is easily wrong, when it prohibits honest freedom of speech. Tatsu's example was perfect, you CANNOT bar someone from using a specific and scientific non-slang description of somebody. If they're half-black, how else do you call them half-black? They're half black, I didn't decide that was wrong to call them, and I didn't persecute them by describing them, you did. Your choice of words does 100% not determine what mine is, without being some uptight authoritarian oppressive force. Which ironically swings full circle, you're just oppressing someone white now, especially when you cannot enforce a black person, calling another black person, black, as being racist. Whether it's black, african american, ect, as long as it's not offensive, it's "politically correct" limiting it, not it limiting itself.

If a person WERE half-black, and you're not allowed to speak of that definition like it were "global warming" or something on a gag order, then are you honoring their right to exist, or hiding it? Thought so. Only fascists do that, and it's real close to where we are with both parties. People just got tired of one party doing that. Proof = Election. Nobody would vote for one idiot over the other, if they weren't tired of the platform the other idiot stood on. It got hostile, it lost it's appeal.

Also, you literally dodge how hostile the vocal examples of the liberal community are. Do you completely deny they are hostile? I 100% feel they are more frequently hostile and oppressive, than conservatives are, where the religious are nutcases even in-house, but the feminists talking about male euthanasia are encourage-able.
  15. Gorbles

Political correctness is made-upppppppppppppppp.

You calling a black man "half a black man" even "as a joke" is still racist. Deal with it, I guess. Or don't. It's your life.

EDIT

You editing your post after I posted ain't gonna get me to respond to bait. You got called on something, and now you're frantically trying to point the finger at me and misdirect with other issues.

It's not a good look, you know?
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. thetrophysystem

I'm sorry, but what is your damage!?! You can just go calling people racist so easily in obvious attempt to win an argument by cruse control? Your mom was racist, jack-arse. She's not on this thread denying it, so it must be true.

I, however, have stated MANY TIMES IN THIS THREAD, that you, ALMIGHTY GORBLES, are NOT the GOD-INVOKED RIGHTFUL JUDGE of what IS and ISN'T RACIST. You're claims are conflicts of your own better interests, petty, unfounded, and contested. Do you want me to start a god-damned forum poll asking who thinks I'm racist? We know you don't have 80 friends with no unobjective conservatives in these forums, and your opinion isn't the alpha and omega, you don't get to decide legitimacy of who's racist ffs.

I take full offense to being called racist. I am not racist. Calling me racist, is the #1 easiest way to escalate things, because I am fully offended by it. If ever there was a more rightful thing to take offense of, it's false and flimsy claims of racism.
  17. Gorbles

Your joke being racist doesn't necessarily mean you are a racist person, on the whole.

But you're not really helping your argument. "racism" as a phrase has a definition, and your writing by the definitions of English matches with it.

I don't need to be a judge of anything for that, and your "but you're the real racist" rant doesn't change that. Peace out.
    tatsujb likes this.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Jackson used skin-bleaching cream to lighten his skin. He was widely criticised at the time, particularly by black commentators, as providing a poor role model for youths by appearing to enforce the belief that being black was a barrier to being successful.

I admit the joke is in poor taste, but I'd argue it was directed towards the man's life choices, not towards the colour of his skin.
    mered4, elodea, arseface and 2 others like this.
  19. Gorbles

Being criticised by members of (what is ostensibly) his own community is a far cry from being used as a "half a black man" joke on a games forum, 20 years after the fact.

Regardless of his life choices, the joke focuses on a pejorative description of his colour (black or white, because how he chose to identify himself was a complicated subject that he never really explained much) is pretty much the definition of a racist joke, 101.

I'm tired from trying to explain this. trophy doesn't want to listen, that's fine. But it's funny that he gets to infer that those who cry "racist" are the real racist, call me oppressive, and all that jazz, and here you are sticking up for a Michael Jackson race joke. You should think on that.
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. thetrophysystem

Okay. Question. What racial background does this person identify as? Not self-identify, but identified by you? There is no right answer, but you're required to answer anyway, @Gorbles . If you were a government worker, filling out mandatory paperwork, what would you fill out as her ethnic background???
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Waiting for response like...
    [​IMG]
    Probably costing Uber some Uber-Data...