Look who I bumped into last week!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by cwarner7264, March 1, 2017.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

For those who've been with PA a while: I happened to notice that @garat was in the UK last week, and managed to convince him (Lord only knows how) to make time in his busy schedule for a meal and a pint :)

(Not sure how to make pictures smaller on here...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Man, that's so awesome!!! I miss garat on these forums!
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah a really nice guy, did you find out what he's up to these days? I'm assuming working for a different studio?
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

He's a lovely chap, and I'm glad we've kept in touch :)

I did indeed find out what he's been up to, but it wouldn't be proper for me to embellish too much here in public. I'll let him know you guys are interested and see if he wants to pop along onto here for a catch-up :p
    tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey folks! Thanks for the kind words, and yes, been busy! I was working for a Wargaming owned mobile studio up until about October, when the studio got fully shut down (long story, but it was ok - they treated us great and handled it like pros).

Since then, I've been working with a small team of engineers porting a first person open world title from it's original XNA source over to Unity, and as of January, started an actual job search. :) I've narrowed in a few different things, some that will keep me in Seattle for a few years, but at least one or two that would result in a pretty massive move. Hint: That may be why I was in TWC's neighborhood. ;)

Other than that, things are normal. Busy being a dad to a crazy child just shy of two years old, renovating our house, and just.. living.

Sorry I haven't been by in ages. Since leaving PC gaming as my primary focus at Uber, it's changed a lot of my browsing habits, and I forget to check favorite sites much of the time. Though that may be the whole dad factor as much as different games focus of late. :)
    Nicb1, stuart98, gmase and 6 others like this.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Great to hear from you, and good luck with the job search!

I know the feeling regards time- the older I get the less time I get for gaming, forums or any of that :p I hear it's that way until retirement... Still great to hear from you.

Dare I ask- did you brave a few British beers / ales whilst you were here?
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Sadly no ales or beers. I've been on an unwilling no alcohol thing for most of the last year. Had throat surgery that long since "healed" but it's left me hyper sensitive to most types of alcohol. I can have an occasional glass of wine, but much stronger than that, and I get sick. So.. kept it simple and just don't drink right now. :) And even under normal circumstances, I'm not much of a beer drinker, though I've always enjoyed it when I have it.
    stuart98, tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  9. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Always good to see an uber developer in the flesh having a good time. Cheers Garat and good luck with finding a new job.
    Nicb1 and dom314 like this.