Brexit

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by proeleert, May 9, 2016.

1. Devak

Devak Post Master General

That link gives some nice insights. But i think the most interesting insight is that the non-voters and the cant-remember group are fairly equally divided on the brexit (as compared to Remain/Leave voters who generally agree with their own POV ie Leave being against new referendum and soft brexits).

The problem is simply that the 1.8% majority is paper-thin, and it may not take all that much to flip the majority opinion back and forth. Keeping in mind the roughly equal proportions of the voters, it means that the undecided (or weakly decided) voter can easily flip back and forth as this story unfolds.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

That yougov page does a wonderful job of illustrating how people don't understand government. The fact that people who voted Remain are split on staying that way, or "think the government has a duty to implement the decision and leave" demonstrates this.

The referendum was not legally-binding
    . There was no duty attached to it, no mandate. The closest you could get would be election promises, which as we know parties regularly discard depending on the phase of the moon and what they had for dinner that Sunday.

But people have been conned into thinking the referendum holds actual legal weight, by the hot takes from people not actually up on lawmaking (disclaimer: I am not up on lawmaking) and by the relentless campaign from a lot of the media that is managed by certain specific horrendously-rich and unscrupulous people (Murdoch). As a case in point, I shall reference the papers that called for the sacking of the judges that ruled that Parliament had to vote on Article 50.

They were just doing their job. Of course Parliament has to vote. Theresa May does not have the unilateral power to invoke the Article, because she's not a dictator. And yet they were published as front-page news for betraying our country's principles. And let's not forget the racist and homophobic attitudes these stirred ("ex-Olympic gay fencer judge opposes Article 50", among other select headlines).
  3. skyhigh91

skyhigh91 New Member

Yea, people are turning more and more against brexit nowadays, hopefully they find a way to reverse it.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. Devak

A full reversal is unlikely. I don't think that after all that transpired, the EU would just say "you know what, forget all that and stay"
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

why not? It wouldn't have been unheard of.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

7. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Everything's fine.

I mean, what's 1.094 Euros to the pound, really? We only got 1.18 or so this time last year, going on holiday. What's another drop?

I mean, apart from the rhetoric that our currency was supposed to stabilise.
    That companies would be investing heavily in the UK.
    That after stabilising, our currency was supposed to rise to its former glory.

Ignoring all of that . . . we're fine!

:)
    cdrkf, Devak, MrTBSC and 1 other person like this.
  8. Devak

<insert obligatory "this is fine" dog>
    tatsujb likes this.