The Performance Update: Titans Build 99377

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by wyao, November 21, 2016.

1. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I haven't got an eight or sixteen core xeon though like Amazon has...
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Doesn't uber host their servers on 'PlayFab' now? As in a propitiatory service? I thought they only dedicated 1 or 2 cores per game on their servers (so there'd be no benefit)...
  3. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

static const float RECONNECT_DELAY = 0.5; // seconds
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that playfab was hosted on Amazon, my bad. The bolded is probably the case because until now, there was no reason to dedicate more than 2 cores per game.
  5. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

So glad to see development is still ongoing. Haven't played for a few months but this game is still special to me.

<3 you all.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so how is it with artilleryunits such as grenadiers running into their death instead of stopping at max range? do you guys still have problems with that?
  7. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Thanks for posting this.
    I fired up PA after a very long time again to test this patch, only to find that this bug still exists.
    This is still the most annyoing thing in the entire game.
    stuart98 and lulamae like this.
  8. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

Awesome! Massive update, still reading through the changes. You fixed the disappearing CSGs!!! I can build planets again!!! Great update overall. Thanks a lot and very happy to see continued updates.
    stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  9. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I was being serious. This makes the game unplayable for me as all the units keep suiciding.
  10. ZakTheEvil

ZakTheEvil Member

So the game is definitely faster. I haven't seen simulation slowdown yet and I used to see it a lot, down to 30% or worse at times.

The editor is fixed indeed. I was able to finish my maps without the frustration of disappearing CSGs.

Thanks again for the update.
    captain81, cdrkf and MrTBSC like this.
  11. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

deleted
    Last edited: December 5, 2016
  12. lulamae

Tonight I joined a game in progress as a spectator. Chat was closed.I clicked/opened the 'Friends' popup. I then closed the friends popup and I was no longer able to rotate or zoom in on the planet. I could still switch planets but had to resort to F5 to restore navigation
  13. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Fixed... you must have minimised via the tiny minimise icon on top right (vs icon toggle) so the capture was still active to prevent zooming of holodeck while scrolling contacts list.
    lulamae likes this.
  14. lulamae

Thanks!
  15. SourceSeeker

SourceSeeker New Member

me & my friends had a LAN this weekend! we were expecting a nice performance improve for PA:T, because the dropping SIMSPEED was the reason we stopped playing PA:T & PA & SC & ...
    we had 1 match: we 3 against 3 AI [difficulty: 1/4, 2/4 & 3/4] on 1 big custom planet (radius was 1300) without any mods. the first 20-30 minutes, SIMSPEED indicator at bottom right showed 100%, but after that it dropped until 30-40%. we could still play compared to old versions where you almost got no movement at all, possibly at a SIMSPEED at 1-10%? but still, every second took 2-3 seconds & my friends got bored!
    now my big question i have:
    how do i know for sure whether i have multicore feature active or not???
    i just created a game by adding a tick to "Spiel lokal ausrichten" (have a german version, but it could be translated to something like: "set local match"). now did this enable multicore or did we still run on single core? because as i said, we still weren't convinced from these new performance improvements. one friend uninstalled the game right after this one match...
    is there a guide for enabling multicore mode?
    Last edited: December 11, 2016
  16. Heizmeister

Heizmeister Member

When you enter your server settings, make sure you have "local server multi-threading " switched on.
    Nicb1, cdrkf and tunsel11 like this.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

As I said, multi threading is done on a per planet basis (1 core per planet) for the simulation.

A single r1300 planet won't benefit from the multi thread sim as it's one planet. you would be much better playing that match on 4 r500 / r600 planets than one much bigger one imo.

You should still have got some improvement as the AI is now multi thread as well, and things like area patrol use much less, however the system you picked is going to benefit much less than a multi planet system due to how the multi threading works.

As @Heizmeister says you need to go into settings, local server and tick the multi thread enable box to turn it on, but you also need a multi planet map to get most out of it (and keep the planet sizes down! r1300 can kill fps on any rig- I'd keep your planet sizes to r800 or less for all except gas giants).
    lulamae likes this.
  18. SourceSeeker

SourceSeeker New Member

Ah! You mean:
    SETTINGS / SERVER / LOCAL SERVER MULTI-THREADING --> ON
    Okay, already had this enabled for the mentioned match. so the match should have been already on multi threaded?!
    Whats about:
    SETTINGS / SERVER / LOCAL SERVER --> AUTO / ON / OFF ?
    I have it on AUTO.
    And the mentioned "Spiel lokal ausrichten" is found under:
    MULTIPLAYER / CUSTOM GAME below the button CREATE GAME
    I had this ticked for the mentioned match.

Yeah, the decision for 1 big planet VS more small planets was made by my friends, already told them that performance would be better for latter one.

Thanks for the quick reply!
  19. MrTBSC

I still hope they'll tweak aibehavior with weaponranges :/

orbital also still needs work ... like seriously its visibility needs rework imho
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Never in the history of the Internet has 'I think you should do X' followed by zero justification, been a compelling argument.
    stuart98 likes this.
  21. MrTBSC

simple ... it´s TOO visible ..
    something i wrote on a steamthread about orbital scouting
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/386070/discussions/0/1842367319516184832/#c152391920351159493

as for ai weaponrange behavior .. for how long do grenadiers and hornets run into their deaths not being realy used now? over 3 years?
    Last edited: January 15, 2017