The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

here's a meme for ya
    [​IMG]
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i can't even find words to write what i think ...
    one thing for sure i won't visit america as long as that guy is its leader ...
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

It's actually worse than that, as we'll now have global warming deluxe with Trump being a climate change denier and promising to break up the Paris agreement.

"Trump asserted that the 'concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.'" (2012 tweet by Trump)
    Oh brother...
    Geers, stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

There were over 15,000 write-in votes for Harambe.

I'm beginning to think you guys aren't taking this seriously.

That child has a lot to answer for.
    Geers likes this.
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

what a time to be alive
  7. killerkiwijuice

8. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

9. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Right because the death of the USA couldn't possibly have meant,

1. Electing Goldman Sachs as president
    2. Electing a machiavellian puppet under criminal investigation who takes money from foreign powers, some of whom also fund ISIS
    3. Permitting further corruption and compromise of the judiciary
    4. Funding and arming terrorist groups to destabilize middle eastern countries, with the side effect of flooding Europe with migrants. Poor Libya.
    5. Ratcheting up hostilities with another nuclear power who has no desire for war
    6. A complacent, bought off, fourth estate
    7. The continued march of left wing authoritarians and identity politics
    8. The continued persecution of moral actors like Manning, Snowden, Assange

I could go on but I won't because I don't need to. Glad to see America still has a spine. Well done to you!
    [​IMG]

This election has been most enjoyable seeing all the hypocritical left wing statists suddenly realise centralisation and expansion of executive power weren't such good ideas after all. /popcorn
    xankar and killerkiwijuice like this.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Here in Germany our President has a mostly representative role. He's the shining figure who shows off nice behavior and idealistic values.
    It's so utterly beyond me how half of the Americans voted a misogynistic, xenophobic, racist, nationalistic, climate change denying, human rights ignoring, impolite, hate preaching, fear mongering liar to be their President.

Are those the values you stand for? 50% of the US? Really?
    Not to mention the men has little experience as a politician, but a good experience of how to use public money to enrich himself.

I totally agree Hillary would've been a huge "meh" as well, the US has driven itself into a corner the moment they ended up with just two big political parties.
    I agree with the intent of voting for somebody who isn't her, somebody who shakes up that status quo. But that does not mean one should just blindly vote for whoever screams the loudest and behaves the rudest and promises the most breakage of human rights.

Well now all there is to do to wish the Americans good luck. May Trump at least do some good things and may the deep separation between the two political parties close so that there won't be another "only voted for to shock the liberals"-president.

I wonder how long it will take until his own voters will get upset with him. He did promise so many ridiculous things, it's clear as day he'll not actually get to do half of them. They got fooled by a trickster and when they realize the next question is into which direction they'll throw their anger then.

EDIT:
    Just a short list of Mr. Trumps great promises taken from a German page:

- Revert the progress on public healthcare Obama made
    - Double the size of the US economy, becoming the most powerful economy of the world
    - Create millions of new jobs
    - Drastically cut down on taxes
    - Force US companies to produce their products in the USA
    - Question international trade agreements
    - Build that giant wall and make Mexico pay for it
    - Deport 11 million illegal immigrants
    - Deport Syrian refugees
    - Bomb ISIS to hell
    - Reintroduce waterboarding and things much worse than that
    - In doubt disallow any Muslims from entering the US
    - Cancel the Paris climate change contract thingy.
    - Climate change is an invention of the Chinese anyway. There is snow in Texas after all.
    - Renewable energies are just expensive, no need for them
    - Build lots of nuclear power plants. Nuclear power is great.
    - Rebuild 100% of the coal industry.

I had forgotten half of them since when they were actually said by him, but oh my that list is full of scary **** and impossible promises. The middle ages will look good compared to what Trumps American might be if he actually goes through with this.

As much as we may disagree on how a state should work exactly, you can't seriously say that Trump's supposed policy is a good or realistic thing.
    Yes voting Trump meant to shake up the bad status quo. But voting in a democracy should be done with more consideration than "I want to shock the other side because I hate them".
    Last edited: November 10, 2016
    cdrkf, tatsujb, Geers and 3 others like this.
  11. killerkiwijuice

bruh XDDDDDDD
    [​IMG]
    elodea likes this.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's pretty. Some sort of water snail?
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. killerkiwijuice

yeah it's a sea slug or nudibranchs
    cola_colin likes this.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Do you get fined for not purchasing healthcare, which you then need 3,650€ just to use for the first time? No? Then it sounds like you don't fully understand or appreciate why Hillary wasn't elected. It wasn't a "meh" candidate, everyone felt she's a criminal, half were willing to overlook it, but at the end of the day, that middle class wasn't willing to vote themselves a financial hole in the foot.

In a democracy (well, republic), especially an unfortunately two-party one, the only person you have to blame, for a bad candidate winning, is the career politicians in charge of appointing their direct competition. Sanders, Warren, or even Michelle Obama, would have done better at the polls.

Also in a republic, we have an entirely different branch that writes the laws, and another one that interprets them. He can't do anything on his own, but if he does none of that stuff you listed off, except kill Obamacare, His favor-ability would probably be 65%
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Certainly an exciting year, I'll give you that.
  16. elodea

elodea Post Master General

[​IMG]
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  17. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

This was honestly the biggest nail in the coffin for Hillary to me.
    I can't for the life of me understand why someone would vote for someone who wanted to actively raise hostilities with Russia. Clinton was ******* insane.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I honestly don't think that's more insane than denying climate change or wanting to build a flucking wall in an era where wall-circumnavigation technologies are so freely available a kid with a flucking gift card can get over one.
  19. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

I get that obamacare isn't perfect, but why isn't it good? It seems to me republicans did everything in their power to make it as bad as possible. And then they are the first to complain it isn't good. In US, politics isn't about compromise it's all about making the other ones look bad, which is such a shame, cause in the end the people lose.
    stuart98, cdrkf and tatsujb like this.
  20. killerkiwijuice