Any good cheap graphics card?s

Discussion in 'Support!' started by noobassassinz3, July 3, 2016.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well the RX 470 is going to be the same specification as the R9 380X (2048 shaders etc etc) with higher clock speeds and the various enhancements AMD made to 'GCN vs 4' that's used in the Polaris 10 gpu it's based on. So it should sit in between the R9 380X and R9 390 in terms of performance- not bad for $150

Edit: On the nvidia side it should be between a GTX 960 and GTX 970 in terms of performance.
  2. irvlipschitz

irvlipschitz Member

Off topic for the question of Good Cheap Graphic Cards, but I wanted to update something I said.

I have a GTX 980 and have been very happy with it. I also have been a fan of the GeForce Experience.
    It notifies me of and makes it easy to update the latest graphic drivers on my Win7 system. I also like
    that it optimizes the game settings for a long list of supported games. There is also the video
    recorder for their higher end cards. All that changed today.

The new version 3.0 requires that you have an Nvidia account to use GeForce Experience. You can't do
    anything with the program unless you login with an account. Supposedly you will still be able
    to manually update the graphics drivers.

I don't know why this bothers me so much. I gave Nvidia my email address when I registered the card.
    I also emailed them to get the keys for the free games that came with the purchase of the card. I know
    they have to scan my disk looking for supported games to optimize.

Why does the new version need to have a valid account every time you run the program? So that Nvidia
    can send you the latest ads, promotions, and marketing information. Of course to sweeten the deal
    there will be prizes and giveaways.

What chaps my ***? Read their End User Licensing Agreement where they talk about consent and collection of information:

"Customer hereby acknowledges that the SOFTWARE accesses and collects both non-personally identifiable
    information and personally identifiable information about Customer and CUSTOMER SYSTEM"

So it goes...
    sgrock and lulamae like this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Amd offer a similar system that does the same thing (driver updates and games optimisation). It autocreates an anonymous account on setup which I think is fair enough. The account is for collecting info about the gpu and game settings so doesn't request personal info.
  4. irvlipschitz

irvlipschitz Member

cdrkf likes this.