TITANS Performance Issues

Discussion in 'Support!' started by hattedsandwich, July 20, 2016.

1. hattedsandwich

hattedsandwich New Member

Hello all,
    I'm new to this forum and PA in general, have been playing since I picked up TITANS during the Steam summer sale. I have been noticing ridiculous lag spikes while playing matches in Galactic War mode. It doesn't matter whether I'm playing a small single planet, or large multi planet battles, the game will randomly chug like a train at random. At first I thought it might be the engine trying to load in textures when I would zoom in quickly from max out zoom, but I've noticed the issue persists even when I'm zoomed in all the way and ground textures are loaded. I'm not running any weird mods, just a few that add in extra maps. I can confirm lag is present on stock and custom maps, so that is not the source. I have also lowered every graphic setting to minimum and the issue is still present.

Here are my specs:
    Windows 7 x64 Pro
    ASRock z77 Xtreme4
    32gb g.skill 1866 ram
    MSI GTX 980ti LE
    I5-4790k OC at 4.6 (holds at 76c so temps aren't an issue).

I've noticed cpu usage tops at 40% while GPU never breaks 38% (monitored with MSI afterburner). I'll post a log, hopefully someone can help me out here, TITANS is a wonderful game and I want to enjoy it properly.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, using most recent Nvidia drivers

Attached Files:

Last edited: July 20, 2016
    tunsel11 likes this.
  2. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

How is your internet?
  4. hattedsandwich

Thank you both for your input, I'm going through that list of conflicting software right now, will update if I find anything.

My internet connection is solid, getting 5MB/s downloads right now so I don't believe that is the issue, thank you regardless

EDIT: Removed MSI Afterburner and performed a clean boot, on the whole things are much better, however I still had some major choppiness while fighting an enemy commander, and also right before my Ragnarok fired
    Last edited: July 21, 2016
  5. hattedsandwich

If anyone else has any suggestions I would appreciate it, after further play I have found the game still becomes unplayable with massive lag spikes, even though hardware usage is at or below 40% :(
    Clopse likes this.
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Ah yeah it just sounds like server lag. I know "just" sounds harsh but that's what we got to deal with. What kind of system you play on? Multi planet with large radii? does it run smoothly on single planet systems?
    hattedsandwich likes this.
  7. hattedsandwich

Hmm I hadn't thought of server lag being the root cause, is there anyway to host locally in order to test out that theory? I mean if that is the problem I guess there's not much I can really do to fix it besides start Steam in offline mode, but I would be happier knowing the root cause of my lag. I play on both single and multi planet, whatever Galactic War throws at me. Lag is fairly consistent across both setups, but strangely some maps will run completely fine up until the enemy commander starts taking damage, other times no lag at all.
  8. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Don't login when you start the game,maybe you have to enable local server in the settings.
  9. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

@hattedsandwich
    You can set the server to be local for single player games, this should be enoutgh for you to test if this helps with lag issues.
    Main menu > SETTINGS > SERVER > LOCAL SERVER > ON

FYI for starting the game offline
    You can launch PA directly, if you know where the exe is, you can make a shortcut on your desktop
    e.g.
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Planetary Annihilation Titans\PA.exe"

Or use the uber launcher that has a launch offline option.
    https://store.uberent.com/download/pa