The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

uh, I've said this before in this thread and I'll say it again : guns are also a major factor in U.S.'s economy.

guns aren't exactly cheap yet there are more of them then people in the US.

this is crazy. literally crazy when you consider this isn't the case for cars, microwaves, friges, a full cooking set....

this same rule aplies to countries that have NO guns and yet you'll have the GALL to tell me it's not a major economical force???

dude I think we can safely say if it weren't for guns the U.S. would have half it's current GDP.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Depends. I'd say the US owes a lot of it's economy, to early inventions like manufacturing, steampower, radioactivity, nuclear fission. The other half were military based from WWII to Cold War. Doubt WWI would have made a damn. Then again, where would the REST of the world be without firearms? I think the US could have won freedom without firearms if neither side had them, however would have easily lost to indians even with equally adequate bowmanship or ample supplies of crossbow arms. I think a lot of other things would have been successful, but other important ones would have been unsuccessful, ones that established modern globalization. Then again, maybe Russia and the East would have ended up entirely different. You are talking "Timeline Changes C&C Red Alert style".

EDIT: Also wanted to point out a LOT of firearm manufacturing is done in Europe, strangely enough.
    Last edited: July 18, 2016
  3. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

No. Dont count military spending. Its rather silly to consider gun economy= US military. Especially when this entire conversation is derived on whether civilians are allowed to posses firearms.

The cost of the actual car, insurance, maintenance, inspection, registration, tolls and fuel alone are more expensive than the firearm. Nevermind the medical bills and court fees if you break the law.

These are all things that the US economy depends on which branch into many different industries. More importantly, these industries have a good outlook moving into the future so they wont disappear overnight.
  4. tatsujb

HOW do you manage this? I have the word military literally nowhere in my text above.
  5. tatsujb

none of you guys make relevant points!

I'm not saying "400 years ago"

I'm saying: now ! Right fuckin now!

what the **** are you on about Indians. You guys sound like twelve year olds trying to divert the attention from the bad thing they did by bringing up something else entirely. When you see a kid do it you find it painful to watch because you know the parents aren't going to fall for that trick but jesus, you and I are grown adults, act like it FFS.

what is the fuckin point of fuckin guns right now apart than to bloat your economy? exactly; it's the end-goal.
  6. Devak

Devak Post Master General

That i can agree with: i think a major difference with EU vs US is that in the EU there's the belief that the government can, in fact, benefit society. Among the Americans seems to be a belief inbetween "they're incompetent to do anything" and "they're straight up evil".

I can't speak for the political mindset in every nation, but where i live there's the general belief that we need to cooperate, and if that means we can't achieve *all* our goals but need to sacrifice some, then that's acceptable.

Something like a Shutdown (which happened a while back in the USA) is truly inconceivable.
    walmartdialup likes this.
  7. thetrophysystem

We don't even produce a lot of firearms, FN is Belgum, Baretta is Italy, Glock is Austria, Remmington and Bushmaster are America... but produce airguns as well...

I assumed you HAD to be talking if "guns never existed in the first place", because if they "magically disappeared right this moment", not only is it "impossible", but it would have little to no affect except to make policing more difficult because broad-shouldered mofos with clubbing weapons would dominate. Also, if your comment assumes military can have weapons, I'd wager some countries would try some stunts, globalization or not. NATO is a big threat, but they are also soft and want to avoid trouble.

Economically, as stated above, it would hurt small European countries that manufacture, more than it'd hurt the American economy. We don't need guns economically anymore. Pharmecuticals and Petrochemicals, now THOSE would strike us with poverty, but we'd barely feel firearm-economy issues. Do your research.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  8. tatsujb

Colbert you absolute wizard x'D ......
    Last edited: July 19, 2016
    tunsel11 likes this.
  9. tatsujb

10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Guns can be a lot cheaper than the other things you mentioned. Especially a cheap pistol for only a couple hundred if even. Guns don't cost thousands mate. They're not cars.

As far as I can tell the majority of people in the US do not own a weapon. There's a couple people who own a few though.

For the record I want more gun control just don't spout silly things like that.

Edit: I mean half it's GDP without weapons??? No way.
    Last edited: July 20, 2016
  11. thetrophysystem

12. tatsujb

13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here I'm told Trump isn't the one to flip flop. ;P
    tatsujb likes this.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You can probably find a better example than a statement from 2000 vs a statement from last year though.
    tatsujb and tunsel11 like this.
  15. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Didn't realize government was supposed to regulate items that do 'good' in the world. Thought it was about safety, not a flipping mind game. The government is not supposed to provide for the well-being of its citizens. It is only to provide the freedom to those citizens so they can pursue happiness as they see fit. If they are unfit to pursue that happiness, then aid should be provided, but it should be limited so that it cannot be as extensively abused as our current welfare systems.

I'd also like to point out that few people own true automatic assault rifles legally because they are illegal if they were manufactured after 1986.

I'd also like to point out that the black market will always have firearms for sale, even if they were all outlawed. I daresay there'd be tons of normally peaceful and well-behaved citizens buying guns there too.
  16. Qzipco

Qzipco Active Member

17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The whole point of the government is to provide for the well being of the citizens.

You demand too little from your government.

Interesting. Although I honestly don't know what "true automatic assault rifle" even means. My knowledge about specifics of guns is at best limited to "I saw that gun once ... in counter strike".
    I do know that you have a lot of guns and some of them certainly look like they're not "just" small pistols.

Peaceful and well behaved citizens buying guns on the black market? Define peaceful and well behaved xD
    tatsujb and tunsel11 like this.
  18. tatsujb

by who?

Drumpf is the uncontested flip flop king
    tunsel11 likes this.
  19. tatsujb

hey mered.

I think since you were away awhile that this post of mine got missed by you :

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/the-murrica-politics-thread.70907/page-53#post-1132185

admittedly it's 4 pages back. I've got most people's input on this but I'm curious as to your own.

which reminds me @cola_colin and @stuart98 and @killerkiwijuice I'd like to have your vote as well.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Never voting for Donald. Ever.

Whether Hillary gets my vote is dependent on whether she chooses a progressive or a corporatist for her VP on Saturday. If she chooses Tim Kaine or Tom Vilsack, as some sources are suggesting are the front runners for the position, then I'll probably throw my vote to the Green party to help them secure federal funding in 2020.
    elodea likes this.