Unit idea, sub commanders

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by delta1441, June 17, 2016.

1. delta1441

delta1441 New Member

• a unit that is designed to take control of assigned factories and build units that it uses to attack enemy teams on designated planet surface/space.

• Or the sub commander could be assigned a ratio of income to build its own forces on designated planets.

• For multiplayer or skirmish instead of just galactic war.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

.... hhhmmmmmm .... rather not ...
    there is a good ammount of automation already we and we don´t need AI to partly play the game for us ..
  3. ordinarypi

ordinarypi Member

In theory, this would be a good idea and probably a great way to solve a (minor) problem of PA of commanding units across multiple planets.

In reality, the AI sucks. Even Queller AI's Uber level AI still does dumb mistakes that a human player could easily catch. And it only controlling "part" of your army probably wouldn't work, or it'd just breach that and try to control everything.
  4. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

Dunno, sounds like a cool idea for a mod...there was that game, space fleets thing (name escapes me) where you assign a little AI fella to go off and do his own thing...that was cool
  5. MrTBSC

i don´t think it solves that .. because even if you have a assisting ai that doesn´t take away of overseeing what it does .. the problem of multiplanetplay is primarily one of a lack of overseeable visibility .. but that is rather by design
  6. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

i do not know how to strongly enough disagree with the above 'statement'... without resorting to personal insults
  7. huangth

huangth Active Member

I like this idea, but I just wonder whether it is possible or not.
    If it is possible, I believe it must be server mod or in-game ability.
    It is like to create an AI dynamically and transfer unit to it.
    And player can take them back when he needs.
    It is similar to the sandbox.

Though the AI is not smarter than human, but AI can do multiple jobs than players can.
    Players have only very limited actions per minute, while AI has only very limited intelligence.
    It is good to see a game which allows player to balance both abilities.
    If both side of players can do the same thing, I believe that the game is still fair.

AI takes control of players units and building is quite common in 4X games.
    I think we can borrow some ideas from them.
    For example, the eco structure controlled by AI can only receive 75% income.
    Thus, the player should do the jobs as more as possible rather than fully deposit in AI.

In my opinion, the early expansion on a new colonization planet is very trivial.
    I hope the AI can take over the expansion on new planet.
    Thus, the players can focus on fighting and unit control.
    Last edited: June 22, 2016
  8. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

The lack of overall visibility across multiple planets isn't by design, it's by lack of design. The game would be much much better if new tools were made to make it more inter-connected. It would be good if we had live minimaps of each planet on the screen, and when you hover over a gate a popup appears showing you what's on the other side. They could do a lot more in this area.
  9. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

10. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

That looks good, and so it turns out Mavor was right when he said he wasn't going to do it because some modder would. Excellent. Now incorporate it into the standard game.
  11. MrTBSC

how do you want to do this with 16 planets though?
    there is only so much you can fill a screen with ...
    personaly i´m rather for a map of the current planet in mainscreen
    and an additional temporary one either when you set up teleports to other planets to send your troups through and hover over another planet in the planetlist may still not be optimal but at least gives more information