Unit Cap?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by mwreynolds, July 2, 2016.

1. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Any chance at all of adding a unit cap as a lobby option ever, or maybe with a server mod?

I noticed that in the kickstarter it did mention a unit cap.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/project...nnihilation-a-next-generation-rts/description
    I do know things changes in development and in general agree with having no unit cap and there may be reasons/ideology that makes it not possible.

However it would make a nice option, to let people play longer games with unit caps that should play smoother without slowdown.

I know this has be discussed and rejected before, but some people just can't accept the game slowing down and stay is bad/not optimised and can't see how this is not possible without a unit cap.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/population-cap.51308/
    whisperr likes this.
  2. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

This could be interesting as a lobby option, as long as people don't start setting it too low.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i think a caprange between 500 to a thousand should fit
  4. ReddWolff

ReddWolff Member

This is what Sorian said in a thread that I started and I quote "There was already a cap, I just added a way for people running custom servers to adjust it (or remove it). There were other changes added to PTE to help alleviate lag in large unit count games."

So at the moment if you want to alter the unit count it is in the ai_config.json. I haven't tried this yet so I don't know if it works. But it is there and the default unit cap is set at 3000 units.
  5. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

This is in units per person?
  6. mwreynolds

7. MrTBSC

the thread back then asked for AI i think, this one asks for cap per player ... i´m not against the option and i don´t think i was back then in that thread but i think my posts to still hold true ..

the problem is you would have to adapt the cap to what system you play on or vise versa, the system to the unitcap .. because otherwise that would lead to problems of its own ... primarly not being able to propperly cover a large planet or areas of a system .. i just think it´s pretty tricky to find a unit cap for large planets or systems without there being either downtime between attacks or having large uncontested areas because the players can only focus the unitcap on that much .. so you would have to make planets/systems were those caps are used to there best, allowing a consistent flow of action
  8. mwreynolds

How about instead of a unit cap, but instead a soft sim time dilation cap (minimum speed speed) , where by when time dilation (in term of sim speed) goes below a thread hold set in the lobby all building for all players will be pause until the sim speed recovers to above that limit.

Issues with is would include not being about to rush build defences when the sim speed is too low. But some may prefer this to ever increasing lag.

Would it be possible for a server mod to pause all construction for all players when the server speed drops below a threshold, like how the free energy mod paused construction.
  9. MrTBSC

i think a hard unitcap is because you can better plan beforehand what you build to avoid that unitcap
    having a simspeedlimit/minimum is more difficult to plan actions with because it might be cause by few players who spam basicaly affecting the game for everyone else .. a hard cap makes sure a player can not spam beyond beyond his capabilities thus making sure the simspeed not being as affected for everone else ...
  10. mwreynolds

For a hard cap, maybe the lobby could recommend one based on the system and number of players.
  11. MrTBSC

i wonder if it is possible to have a dynamic unitcap that adapts on battlespace and playernumbers as in the less players and more battlespace there is awailable to the player to compete over the cap adapts to that up granting you a higher cap till a certain point .. now that could limit you heavily at the beginning forcing certain ways of aggression but then open up more capabilities as the match progresses ..
  12. mwreynolds

Maybe in FFA the one who kills them get the extra unit cap, a bit like bounty mode.
  13. MrTBSC

..... nope .... no ... no .. no ... not like this