Brexit

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by proeleert, May 9, 2016.

1. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

@Gorbles
    "arguably-racist statements"? If you don't have it clear don't insult.
    What is your fact? the definition of racism?

Hating people without a valid reason is the SAME, in my morality. The existence of specific words or laws about some types of hating doesn't make them special to me. I see that it does to you so no point arguing about it.

I personally didn't want Brexit (I'm spanish so I only see inconveniences for me and my family) but I think the arguments for were valid. Anyway I don't think it's such a big deal, take it easy, peace and love.
  2. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

It's taken less than a day for like, most of the major talking points of the Leave campaign to be backpeddled on.

This whole thing was stupid and I'm back to square 1 of "I hate being british"
    tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I still think the EU has slowly been devolving into a beuracratic headache for their members. Yes, it's a good trade bloc for members in the middle, but so is any well-managed trade bloc. Germany's been fronting the cost for the Greek fiasco, and I'm sure a lot of other EU members don't appreciate the recent Syrian refugee influx.

This could either signal the end of the EU as a functional entity or the beginning of a major British decline. Either way, the elites are pissed, which means I'm okay with this. Lol
  4. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Aaaand a million britons just voted for a second referendum.

You have a weird sense of humor.
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

So are we going to keep voting until the 'correct' side wins?

Besides it was a referendum, we STILL need to wait for the government to decide what it wants to do.
    tatsujb and cwarner7264 like this.
  6. Devak

Some people still think there's a correct side.

Really, it looks like the Brexit side has no idea of what it actually wants. One moment they cry to leave, now there's suddenly no haste with a new PM or an Article-50 invoking. It looks like Britons need to talk. A LOT. Half the country (literally) wants to stay, half the country (literally) wants to leave. Looks to me like significant communities are screwed over by the british government, not "europe". It just gets the blame.

And then there's gold like this:
    “All we are asking for is some control over roughly who comes in and roughly in what numbers.”

Really brittain, next time you hold a referendum, think about the problem and define what you want. THEN ask the people. not this rushed BS.

A referendum ultimately is the will of the people, and democracy is about the will of the people. No matter what, it can't be ignored.
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. Devak

Just some quotes of Brexit voters:

Seems to me there's quite a bit of anti-London and anti-government sentiment. Perhaps more than there is anti-EU sentiment.
    tatsujb, walmartdialup and cdrkf like this.
  8. igncom1

So I can't dislike both our government AND the EU?

I wasn't aware I had to be so two dimensional.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yea tell that to tsipras and the people who voted against the harsh austerity measures .. .. apearantly it can
  10. Devak

In thise case it would be one-dimensional.

I don't think the EU ever acknowledged that they'd do anything with those results.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  11. igncom1

Nicely done.
  12. Devak

Thanks. The news is depressing enough, gotta keep a bit of humor in it
  13. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

Interesting post making the connection between anti EU and anti government. It helps bring into perspective the sentiment within the country.

In some regard, perhaps there was a perception that voters were barking up the wrong tree. Voters could have voted for something that was completely irrelevant to what they were feeling.

If this were the case, where is the vote that supports this feeling towards the government? If people don't feel that the government is supporting them enough, why hasn't there been a vote to fix these issues, whatever they are. This is where the issue lies.

Having more information of the situation, I can't help but notice the correlation between the Trump voters and brexit voters. In some regards, a vote for Trump isn't for him as an actual president. Its more for a vote against the establishment and what it stands for. I imagine its the same for brexit.
    cdrkf and tunsel11 like this.
  14. igncom1

Well, we operate as an indirect democracy rather then a direct democracy (Thankfully) so we vote for representatives rather then on topics.

One currently popular discussion is changing how we elect our representatives that could or could not give people a greater feeling of effect during general elections.

I'm just a dude however, so it could be very different.
  15. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Which sadly lacks the clarity and forethought of the consequences of said action.

It's very good to say "screw the system". It's another thing entirely when your utterance has consequences beyond the pale for a large amount of people that aren't necessarily you.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

nah i'm not speaking about the eu but the greek goverment basicaly immidiately giving up right after the referendum ended ... they didn't even try to do something that goes towards the will of their people ...
    in a similar case britain may if it actualy sees later that things go wrong that they may turn aswell against the referendums results ... that's what i'm saying ...
  17. Devak

Ah i'm sorry, i misunderstood you then.

Well, the greek economy is in **** for a reason. Would be miraculous if the government suddenly became competent. Besides, Tsipras made promises about things outside his control.

As to going against the referendum result, well technically Cameron could declare the referendum too close for a decisive action. Boris Johnson, seen as prime candidate for the next PM, already came back on his promises and outright lies.

So far it seems to me that Brexit hurts the UK much much harder than it will hurt the EU, especially considering the massive difference of opinion and the massive divide in age and class it laid bare. Time will tell, but the numbers are 3/0 in favor of Remain so far.
    tatsujb likes this.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

90% of right-ist politics explained right there. Just find a scapegoat and undo yourself of the blame.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

So I was watching Yahtzee's latest Drown Out, and Brexit came up...

Apparently some people (or at least one) voted for leaving the EU because they were convinced it wouldn't get through anyway.

Democracy just became Steam Greenlight.
    tatsujb, stuart98, MrTBSC and 5 others like this.
  20. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Saw that yesterday on imgur, made me laugh. How stupid can you get.

I've been reading up on a lot of the reactions in the elite/leaders of various EU members, and they all act the same:

1) What, they voted yes? PREPOSTEROUS!
    2) Why can't we do that?
    3) Wait, wouldn't that be bad?
    4) OR IS IT?

To top it off, pro-EU journalists seem to think that no one really cares about brexit, despite the massive percentage of people who voted in the referendum.