The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Most homeschoolers who do well both in high school and after were taught by their parents, not by the system. That said, one of the major advantages in homeschooling is the personal attention. In a classroom, the teacher focuses on some twenty kids. Parents focus on one to two, and that leads to a curriculum focused on the ability of the individual. To put this in perspective both my brother and I 'finished' high school and started dual enrolling in a local community college at 15.
    walmartdialup likes this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I dunno enough details about your system to get any perspective from that.
    But the fact remains that "the parents teach everything to their children" isn't really a very viable concept for the majority of people. Sure if you have the right parents it's probably really great. But not everyone has and society should try to provide a reasonable solution for everyone.
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

They provide a really cheap solution to it called "sports coaches that teaches from the textbook on the side" here in America. Then again, that's what you get when quality takes a backseat to cost or genuine give-a-damn.

It's almost like society isn't paid to care about the greater good, like it's paid in full to do the most marginal job it can possibly manage to get away with.
    Last edited: June 18, 2016
  4. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

Big issue with public schooling in the USA comes down to money. Others have mentioned this, but I think an bigger emphasis should be on it. If you want good teachers, you have to pay them. If you want small classrooms, you have to pay for them. If you want special services, you have to pay for them.

States ranked with the best public schools in the USA have some of the largest budgets for education and are arguably some of the best in the world. If you have a school district within a well to do neighborhood, public schools will work.

The issue arises when the neighborhoods that go to the school district aren't that well off. Naturally, less money entails less support.

Things get even more absurd when children can't go to the better schools that are right next to them. Because their school district isn't a part of that school, they have to go to their respective school that may be worse.

Homeschooling has gotten popular because current advances in technology have made it viable for students to learn on their own. Parents who work at home see this as an opportunity to save some extra cash while providing their kids a decent education that could be comparable to most public schools.

It all comes down to $$$. Public schools only work if their respective neighborhoods have $$$. This is why there is a large emphasis on charter schools and school choice. In otherwords, the US public school system is through privatization. That's a whole other issue...
  5. thetrophysystem

I actually came from a good school. Best programs you could hope for in an American school, sadly. Texas. Here, we have the Texas Lotto (which we share with Tennessee and New York State IIRC), which people pay 5 dollars a ticket, to try to match 5 numbers from 1-50, and if they win they win millions of dollars, but if they lose their ticket cost goes straight to the state education funding. It's one of those quirky stupid government programs that actually turned out functionally incredible.

I hear our schools are actually pretty decent with programs and such. Still can be crummy for the bottom-students, but there's opportunity nonetheless. I hear that is a big difference from some schools, where if you are born someplace else, teachers just make your job of learning difficult whether you can learn or not, you at most aspire to getting a diploma and not much else, unless you go to private school or move to an area within a specifically great district and an equally evil homeowners association and property cost and taxes to boot.
  6. mered4

And this hurts us how? The Bible has the best moral system and most sacred view of life yet invented by man. Why the **** is it a bad thing?
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  7. cola_colin

ymmd
    MrTBSC, stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I went though religious education because of my father and I can say that, ignoring the religious aspects, Christianity and the bible nurture good people.

I'm an atheist tbh, even after this schooling during middle school. I don't know if it's the best like mered is talking about, but nature vs nurture.
  9. thetrophysystem

Living in Texas, I can tell you that this isn't what public schools teach. They teach Darwinism, Civil War starting over States' Rights, and all that unbiased real education stuff. Prayer is allowed but never encouraged. Really, religion is a non-factor.
    pieman90 and tunsel11 like this.
  10. cola_colin

I don't think that's an inherent property of that specific religion. Good people nurture more good people. Doesn't matter how many gods they have or how they call them. Religion is just a catalyst, that strengthens the believe in whatever you do has a reason and is "right". If you're a peaceful person that's good. If you're about to start a crusade not so much.
    MrTBSC, Nicb1, stuart98 and 3 others like this.
  11. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Agreed. Quite a lot that the bible preaches is both in other religions and commonly favorable. Like not killing people or stealing.

Not that it matters to many people, they make of the stories whatever they want to justify their own beliefs. Like the wonderful stuff like "god hates fags". It's just as made-up as Satan/the devil, purgatory, limbo, etc. People have interpreted and re-interpreted and re-re-re-interpreted the bible and used it whatever way they want.
  12. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

The issue with religion is the tribalism associated with it. If you follow a religion, it is immediately assumed you believe in X,Y and Z. Somehow, "religious leaders" correlate X,Y and Z with political views A,B and C. You therefore must vote accordingly if you are truly a religious person.

Actually, this whole perspective is a problem with any group within a democracy... People surrendering their individualism for the sake of the tribe.

The separation of church and state should be universal: the church of plumbers, church of chicanos, church of bankers, church of _________ all apply.
  13. mered4

Lolno
  14. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Actually, yes, in Exodus 21:24. Matthew 5:38 says no though, so as with the rest of the bible, it's a matter of picking between contradictions. If you have any questions as to what the Christian South in America believes, look at their love of the death penalty.
    Last edited: June 21, 2016
    tatsujb likes this.
  15. mered4

The Bible also says that sex is both bad AND good. Context is everything, isn't it?
    Exodus 21 is a chapter where God lists off some general socio-economic policies for the early Jews. It's directly connected to the Old Covenant. It's part of his whole *work to be holy* plan he had going for the Jews before Jesus came along.
    Then Jesus, son of God, comes along and declares (well, it's more than that, but I'm generalizing) the Old Covenant essentially useless. Matthew 5:38 is him specifically referencing that part of the Old Law to make a point - and to teach the followers of Christ to show mercy and love in all things.

As you see, it's not a contradiction. Bible don't lie :)
    cola_colin likes this.
  16. thetrophysystem

Good people do good things in the name of religion. Bad people do bad things in the name of religion. Either one would do it for themselves were religion not a factor.Honestly, bad people just need slapped. Religion is a non-factor.
    Nicb1 and mered4 like this.
  17. Devak

Devak Post Master General

A book can't lie. The people who wrote it can. The people who translate it can.
    MrTBSC, pieman90, tunsel11 and 2 others like this.
  18. mered4

What? Since when can a book not lie? Who made that rule?
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Finally! Something out of your mouth that makes sence! : D
    stuart98 and tunsel11 like this.
  20. mered4

Lol

If you want to see some salt, you're going to have to try harder :)