Any Major Updates?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by RaTcHeT302, May 4, 2016.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Yes, the pte is only temporary while the new changes are tested. This will all be included in the next update to the game, which should happen any day now.
  2. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You're basically describing Galactic Annihilation and its successor mod that's currently in development.
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. graushwein

graushwein Member

Okay then, step me through your solution, please. Remember, this algorithm must scale well when there are 1000 units using it so that it doesn't melt the computer or cause simulation slow downs.

First define:
    What constitutes the shortest route.
    How does the algorithm differentiate between pathable terrain versus impathable.
    How will you know when you've found the true shortest pathable route. (Each check takes cpu time)
    How will this same algorithm work for planes, where mountains could be higher than the flight level.
    How to do pathing and account for other units that are moving to the same/other destination as each collision forces more pathing checks.

I'm interested to know your solutions because, as it so happens, I've actually tackled these problems (as a hobby task) with wheeled robots in real life. Yes, I wrote many symbiotic algorithms to make 3 robots survey a 2D area to create map and then return to start so I could test my pathing algorithms' efficiencies. It took more time than could ever qualify as easy.

No, most easy algorithms died before the word computer was even coined. Yes, people researched pathing logic before computers. And I say died because they were all dismissed for their inefficiencies.

Until a person has written a single program with 1000+ lines of code, that person is incapable of assessing the logical difficulty of even the most mundane task. (I could easily write over 1k lines of necessary logic defining how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.)

As someone who has programmed, I know that it is naive for even myself to judge the tough decisions that programmers have to make every day. Decisions that limit your ability to deal with unknown problems weeks or months later, at a point when going back to correct a choice (and every piece of logic that relies upon it) is not a worthwhile option. So in the future, please consider what I've said above before critiquing developer decisions.

Spherical maps was stated to be a core feature from the very beginning. If you're complaining about that, then... (Hmm. Well I can't come up with a response that isn't offensive or incredibly condescending, so I'll just let you imagine how that thought should be finished.)

Past a certain point, critiquing someone's (Uber's) choices over and over again becomes disrespectful. PA is what it is. Could it be better? Of course. But nothing is perfect, especially when low funding creates difficult circumstances.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah I liked a lot of the principals in GA... my main issue was you kinda threw rather too much into it all at once imo.

Have you considered just doing a pure balance pass on MLA?
  6. graushwein

graushwein Member

I've been thinking about making an MLA balance mod. I know it would require a lot more work for me to rebalance Legion to accommodate it. But I feel that T1 bots and T2 bots/air need tweaking to be more useful. Also want to reduce naval torpedo spam. What else on the MLA side needs tweaking?
    "Simple" recipe' to fix MLA units:
    (Yes, I'm being sarcastic when I use "Simple")
    Leveler - Halve DPS to 300 from 600
    Grenadier - Enable shooting behind the unit again
    Gil-E - Increase cost to 1000 from 800
    * Radar Stealth (low HP (150) makes it a big risk to have them attack unsupported. Bombers natural counter.)
    * Movement speed buffed to 16 from 12
    * Acceleration nerfed to 72 from 720
    * Braking rate nerfed to 120 from -1
    * Turn Rate nerfed to 90 from 720
    * Weapon range buffed to 200 from 180
    * Weapon DPS buffed to 200 from 87.5
    * * Rate of Fire buffed to 3 from 4 seconds
    * * Damage buffed to 600 from 350
    Phoenix -
    * HP buffed to 500
    * Range buffed to 140 from 120
    * Weapon DPS stays same
    * * Rate of fire increased to 1 from .33
    * * Damage changed to 450 to compensate
    * * Splash damage and range increased
    Piranha
    * Add anti-torpedo weapon with a fire rate of 3-4 seconds (so that it stops half of the Barracuda's torpedos)
    Kraken - Rework missile weapon and somewhat reduce missile DPS
    * Damage buffed to 400 from 200
    * Fire rate nerfed to .5 from .2
    * Splash: 200 damage, radius 15
    * Add missile recharge mechanic so that it does 800 DPS during first 3.5 seconds (2,800 damage) and 400 sustained DPS after that
    * * Missile capacity of 4
    * * Missile recharge rate of 1 second
  7. stuart98

I'd do a pure balance pass on MLA, but 1. I feel like there's not enough pre-existing unit variety to make it work well, 2. it'd end up being GA lite and people would only be slightly more likely to play GA lite than they would be to play GA, for an inferior product.
  8. cptconundrum

GA isn't at all what he has in mind. All he wants to do is adjust the MLA balance so that more units become viable. GA changes the whole pace of the game.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  9. graushwein

graushwein Member

Indeed. But the torpedo changes aren't enough. Hmm.
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
  10. stuart98

Conundrum, lrn2readnub
  11. graushwein

graushwein Member

He was talking about what I was saying. I should learn to read while you learn to spell.
  12. cptconundrum

Stuart, I saw what you wrote and just didn't read the quote. I thought you were responding to graushwein.
  13. stuart98

As I said, lrn2read nub. :)
  14. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

It would bee awesome if the original faction was tweaked as well with sum new added units
  15. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  16. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I have titans..just feel it needs more. When sup com went from vanilla to fa I feel that was good enough but not so to titans