[REL] Legion Expansion [Released!]

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by Nicb1, May 3, 2016.

1. Bbrink1996

Bbrink1996 New Member

Hey, I activated PTE, downloaded the mod(UI changed red and all so I know it installed correctly) but when I try to do a AI Skirmish I can't play because the "PTE servers are unavailable". Is this an issue or are PTE servers only up at certain times or something?
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Turn local server on

The pte servers are offline
  3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Yeah youre going to have to turn on the local servers in your settings menu.

The official Uber servers will become available again when this update hits stable.
  4. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Or you can play in the Supercommander Legion 1 tourney this saturday where 8 custom servers for PTE are provided.
  5. huangth

huangth Active Member

I found this page. https://exodusesports.com/article/legion-expansion-walkers/
    The description of Investigator is here:
    --
    Recon
    T1 Walker - Jumps Up cliffs - Deployed Stealth - Deployable Radar - Fragile - Fast

Using a modified spider chassis, the Investigator buries itself in the ground and deploys sensitive radar equipment to detect nearby enemies. Although detectable by radar, trials proved so effective that some of the initial protoypes have still not been found.

So it is not radar stealth, it is just invisible.
    And it is intended to be spotted by radar.
    I originally thought it hides as the same as a land mine.

But this gives me an idea, what will happen if we have the mine with vision or radar?
    Will it become overpowered?
    I guess the developers have already thought about this.
    I am just curious about your ideas.

By the way, there is a typo in the unit introduction.
    initial protoypes => initial prototypes
  6. elodea

elodea Post Master General

[​IMG]
    Don't overthink it. If you think something should be able to detect the investigator, it can. Vanilla mine detecting units have been given pseudo 'radar' to detect it. Functionally, it is the same as if the investigator was a mine, only it is easier to detect because traditional 'radar' will detect it too.

I don't know what you mean by mines with vision or radar?
    Quitch likes this.
  7. huangth

huangth Active Member

For example, a special land mine has 100 vision range.

Since land mines can only be detected by mine detector rather than vision or radar,
    a mine-based scout unit can be very stealth.

Some of other RTS games have similar units or skills,
    an invisible scout can be placed to overwatch an area temporarily or permanently.
  8. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Well, there are two forks of this line to think about.

1) Add another mine with vision radius.
    The unit would not be differentiated enough from the other mine, or create any specifically interesting gameplay to warrant it being another unit. Adds to choice fatigue without much real benefit.

2) Give the current legion mine vision.
    Doubles up on specific units that already fulfill this role of vision while hidden (investigator). The mechanic also does not fit/flow smoothly with the way it is used in practice. Very clunky to move a slow combat fabber beyond your front lines in order to place hidden vision scouts that blow up and disappear the moment a unit comes near to it.

So while it can be used to invisibly scout areas, it will rarely be used for that purpose, thus rendering the vision property nothing but a novelty feature of the unit. Vision doesn't help the unit perform its function, so it's kind of like a loose end.

Also breaks internal consistency when the player comes from a vanilla PA background and carries assumptions that mines do not give vision.
    Quitch and huangth like this.
  9. austin391

austin391 New Member

Can you run other mods with Legion? So far I have not been able to get other mods (Metal heck & war turtle specifically) to work with Legion.
  10. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Only one mod may define the list of units, and so if those mods rely on any new or modified units, they'll be competing with Legion and only one can take precedence. Apparently this limitation may soon be fixed, but I've heard nothing other than "soon".
    cptconundrum likes this.
  11. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Making mods that add units work with Legion requires Mikeyh sorcery. Metal Heck is much simpler and is something I'll get and get out within the next two hours.
  12. stuart98

Metal Heck updated to support legion. Unless KillerKiwiJuice gave me bad info, in which case Kiwi, you are bad and you should feel bad.
  13. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

T E S T - I T
    Nicb1, gmase, Quitch and 3 others like this.
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Stuart doesn't know what testing is, he didn't have time to learn about it, not with all the untested commits he has to make.
    stuart98 and elodea like this.
  15. austin391

austin391 New Member

I just tested Metal Heck with legion and it's working great, thanks stuart98!

Edit:

It looks like there are a few issues I found, one was that all icon descriptions say they are metal extractors, the Icons themselves are fine just the description is wrong.

Also it looks like the AI is screwed up as well, I tired all the AI levels and they all act like normal or worse really because they dont even attack they hardly build any units at all. When I uninstalled Metal Heck mod the AI was fixed. I am using the stock legion AI, no other mods installed.

EDIT:

After further testing it looks like the AI does not build metal extractors anymore when I use the Metal Heck mod.
    Last edited: May 21, 2016
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Ok so new release of legion everyone.

Big change in this build is that you can now join a Legion game without the mod being installed. All elements including client will be auto downloaded upon joining a game if you do not have the mod enabled.(I still recommend installing the mod from cmm before launching a lobby just so that you don't hold up everyone else if the download takes a while)

v0.12.0 - 2016/05/23
    General
    Improved MLA selection graphics in lobby
    In-game menu is now red when Legion UI is enabled
    Removed blue shadows from UI elements when Legion UI is enabled
    Novas prioritise air
    Optimised Nova effects for performance
    Standardised colouring of commanders on game launch splash
    Standardised colouring of Commanders in lobby
    Infiltrator's probe scan effect plays more than once after deployment to more clearly show its function
    Wraith renamed to Spectre
    Excalibur renamed to Paladin
    Added idle effects to the Havoc
    Improved PA startup time when Legion is disabled through use of new companion mod feature
    Improved Investigator description
    Improved game logging
    Balance
    Diplomat buffed
    Cost reduced from 50,000 metal to 40,000 to match Halley
    Fixes
    Fixed build icon weapon symbols for Catfish, Bowhead and Talos
    Fixed numerous textures being too bright
    Adding unit card pictures for Booms spawned by Necromancers
    Log no longer shows errors for invalid impact decal
    Fixed placement size of basic and advanced Vehicle Foundry and the advanced Walker Foundry
    Build bar buttons turn red when clicked not blue
    Sub-orders from the orders bar are now also red
    Fixed boundary and selection box of the Holocene
    Legion lobby no longer obscures Lobby System Preview mod's planet display
    Slot colour now correct shade of grey after removing an AI player
    Legion Commanders highlighted red in commander selection even if the Legion theme is disabled
    Fixed ready button moving after being clicked
    Starcannon pods correctly display their trail
    Description of Kosmos now correctly states that it attacks land
    Starcannon description no longer claims it's a teleporter
    Booms spawned by the Necromancer now have alt-fire
    Purger can attack surface naval ships close to the shore
    Fixed strategic icon warnings in log
    Intro buttons properly sized for latest PA versions
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
    huangth likes this.
  17. huangth

huangth Active Member

Please tell us more about it.

I have played 10+ Legion games.
    My understanding is that the host uploads the server mod to the PTE room,
    and then other players download the mod from the PTE room.

For my internet, the upload takes about 7 min, and download takes about 5 min.
    Even if I have installed both the client and server mod of Legion, I still need to download the mod when I join the room.
    Is it possible that the game can use hash to detect the mod of player is as the same as the room?
    If the version is the same, the players except the host can avoid the redundant download.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  18. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

The suggests your upload speed is under 0.5 Mbps.

It's not currently possible for me to modify the network code in the engine and it wouldn't be on mod level hashes.

Everything is loaded into a memory based file system and mods are mounted into a context over that on a last mounted wins basis for each file.

Because hosts can combine filesystem changes and multiple server mods the final state of the memory file system is uploaded to servers and mounted over the servers memory based filesystem. ie not individual mods.

If I do get to implement something it will be based on memory file hashes using an rsync still approach.
    stuart98, Nicb1, cptconundrum and 3 others like this.
  19. stuart98

I'll look into it.
  20. thatguy135

thatguy135 New Member

i don't know what this means:

uuuhhhhh....png