Any Major Updates?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by RaTcHeT302, May 4, 2016.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I suspect that was driven by SUPCOM having really high spec requirements and its subsequent commercial failure.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am doubtful of that argument, SupCom 2 was basically the same tech, but years later. So the average gamer had a better cpu to play it.
    Quitch likes this.
  3. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

SupCom 2, had better performance on the same hardware.
  4. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Making units point the right way is as easy as a single matrix multiplication. The hard part is still actually the pathing. The complexity of pathing scales up much more with graph complexity than it would for 'spherical' pathing.
  5. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

So does pong.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  6. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

[​IMG]
  7. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

cdrkf - is there anyway to make sup com more tactical like ta was? Is it possible to somehow mod the game for this? This is what I feel pa is missing also but I do find it makes a difference based on the size of the planet your playing
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well in sure all of this is possible with mods. A large part of the tactically of ta stems from units having high health and low rate of fire / slow projectiles. Units in ta last a while, which allows for all kinds of micro management simply not possible where units die in a couple of hits.

That's all down to unit stats however, so all doable. The problem is I think most sup com or PA players would find the game too slow. TA does feel sluggish after playing PA.
  9. Quitch

TA was very much of its era in terms of pacing. Try going back to C&C after playing C&C3.
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. cdrkf

Oh yeah I agree- I think the slower pacing has it's plus sides though, it's just players probably wouldn't play a game at that pace long enough to appreciate the benefits (I mean in TA you could keep 1 AK alive vs a 10+ rokos by dodging the slow rockets, required epic mouse work and concentration but definitely possible- there are no units in PA that live long enough and when we did have that a bit with Dox it got removed).

What I do think is however, that there is a middle ground that would work in a modern context. I think of all of the various mods BA on the spring engine manages quite a nice compromise on this front. The pacing of BA is much faster than TA, but you still have the ability to micro units, dodge shots, nano block with building frames and so on. It's a very fine balancing act though to keep both play styles viable, without making certain units ridiculously powerful in the process.

I would personally love a slower paced version of PA, I'd also like to see weapons changed up to be less accurate like they were in TA, so we can see some effective unit micro. One big issue I have with PA and legion (which by definition has to match PA balance so not criticising it for that) is most of the weapons are pretty much guaranteed hits due to high fire arcs meaning wreckage is ignored, high projectile velocity and accurate aiming (long range fixed cannons are far far too accurate imo for example- automatically leading fast units, imo dox should be able to effectively run past a line of holkens with the shots missing the majority of them, whilst slower more powerful units wouldn't be able to). I'm not sure other players would appreciate it though "my holkins misses enemy units, it's broken!" is the kind of reaction I expect.
    Heizmeister likes this.
  11. Flatlander

Flatlander Member

A thousand times this.

I Mod games as a Hobby. And there are always hundreds of stupid fans that have no idea what they are talking about trying to tell me what to do.

Most people (I would say 99% of all players on games) have absolutely no idea how to make a game fun, or have any original ideas, or even a remotely good idea.

As a game designer, you have to learn to read feedback, but only follow it if it makes sense.
    Will this make people angry? Yes. Will people say you are ignoring the playerbase? Yes. But you have to ignore a huge amount of players to make a good game. That is just now life works.
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
    elodea, Nicb1, lokiCML and 1 other person like this.
  12. cdrkf

I'd say is more a case of how these ideas mesh with the vision for the game / mod in question.

The best idea in the world in one context would be horrible in another- like the principal I've been discussing about a slower paced, more micro focused mod for PA- you can't just throw over unit like that into vanilla and expect it to work. It would require a full rebalance with that game play in mind, and I can guarantee when players used to vanilla pick it up for the first time it'd generate multiple comments about how it's too slow... 'nice but make it faster'... Even though that would fundamentally undermine the purpose of the mod. Development (of anything) is by definition a compromise, uber tried to explain this to us during development. I think the game they made makes a lot of sense given the direction get wanted to go.
    lokiCML likes this.
  13. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Does uber plan on going any further with pa? Kind of sad there are no supcom like games coming anytime soon...
  14. cdrkf

Well they are doing pte testing for an updated version now... Have you tried legion mod yet? That adds many sup com like features (dome shields are in!). That one will be available in game for all players too once the pte goes live as uber are building an in game mod manager! :)
  15. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Thanks for the heads up cdr. Is there an eta on when pte will go live?
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. Quitch

Within a week.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Hope this mod can breathe life back into pa..I think it might be best to mod and tweak the vanilla units or even add sum cooler units with stealth or other advantages
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  18. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

How do you get the legion mod? I thought I read somewhere that paam is not needed but correct me if I wrong, thanks.
  19. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

If you have pamm currently you will meed to move/uninstall/delete your mods.

https://exodusesports.com/article/legion-expansion-community-faction-mod/
    https://exodusesports.com/guides/exodus-explains-planetary-annihilation-pte/

20. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Thanks Reynolds however Will this pte become standard so you don't need paam or the pte to play legion?