Does pushing fabbers work

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by trashmanf, April 6, 2016.

1. trashmanf

trashmanf New Member

Is anyone winning with an all-fabber strategy? In the endgame I've smashed foes (and been smashed) by pushing catapults and holkins, but in early/midgame does this work eco-wise?

When I try it seems to take too much metal and time to build laser turrets, anti-air, t1 arty, then you gotta build radars, etc etc... And it can get rolled over in an instant by a flame tank and a couple dox. Dang t1 anti air turrets are so weak also!

Are there any techniques that make this strategy effective or is it foolish to try, I assume it's been in the meta rotation at some point?
  2. huangth

huangth Active Member

In my opinion, it is not a good strategy unless you can deny the metal income of enemy.
    This only works when your landing zone is right next to your opponent.
    And you can try to use defensive structure to push your enemy away from his metal cluster.

In regular battle, pure fabricators spam is unable to expand because you have no units to protect your fabricators.
    The enemy dox can catch your fabricators and stop you from getting more metal outside the base.
    Since you have no units to attack enemy expansion,
    after few minute, your opponent will have much better eco to tech up and mass product the units or titan.
    Defensive structure will be overrun easily.
    Last edited: April 6, 2016
  3. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Early and mid game you NEED units other than fabbers both to pretect your own expansions and deny your opponent theirs.

That being said, you can play 'more defensively' (notice I did not say turtle) until late game when you have enough t2 fabbers/colonels and Eco to be able to support catapult and holkins with laser turret pushes.

Imo it's quite a high risk strategy to draw out the game until that point though because you are also giving your opponent time to build within their base (which you must keep scouting). This could backfire immensely.
    stuart98 and MrTBSC like this.
  4. jackburton176

jackburton176 Member

I'd recommend a breadcrumb trail of AA guns.
  5. trashmanf

trashmanf New Member

Can you expand on that? You mean constantly place them everywhere? The biggest problem I've run into is there is no effective ground based counter to t2 rocket air... They sit outside range of AA and pound me to death .. Dox/veh maybe I can block with walls and artys... Can't think of anything for air short of a microd unit cannon

EDIT ... Just thought of this. I can go reclaim the rocket airships with air fabbers!
    Last edited: April 10, 2016
  6. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

I'd recommend playing SupCom2. That game was so balanced that you could turtle and win, PA isn't.
  7. psdpro

psdpro Member

One could argue that PA is so well-balanced that you can't turtle and win.
    bengeocth, tatsujb, MrTBSC and 3 others like this.
  8. huangth

huangth Active Member

I believe that the one who controls most of the map should win the game.
    Turtle just gives up the map control.
    MrTBSC and tatsujb like this.
  9. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I believe that there should be multiple paths for victory and that there's a place in the game for turtling/teching. I do not believe that there's a place for spamming 20 shields and waiting for your opponent to get bored and dc.
    bengeocth, MrTBSC, ace63 and 2 others like this.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i would if the ecomechanics it has wouldn't be so vomitinducing
    carn1x, tatsujb and stuart98 like this.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yup. I'd argue the same direction.

And I'd say the same for supcom FA you can't turtle and win either. not at a pro level.
  12. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Turtle and win? FUUUUU
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Did you really just say that? Lmao.
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. perfectdark

Yes I did. What is wrong with the ability to play different strategies? In PA there's only ever one winning strategy! Only ever one "best way to play".

BORING!
  15. MrTBSC

if you mean hornets gil-es and angels shoot down their missiles ... ranged sniping is the role of the hornet ...
    Gil-es also can shoot air ... still if your opponent goes heavy air and outranges your aa you should consider going intercepters yourself
    otherwise build t2 flak as it wipes air clean of planes that don't have the range to deal with it
  16. MrTBSC

different strategies - nothing ... lame strategies that turn the game into a snorefest only to end them with highfirepower but not much else inbetween - horrible

basically the last third turns into a large slow sluggingfest with large parts of the map being devoid of any units until one player crashes a giant pile of scrap into the enemy ... is that a good strategy? it sure is boring to watch atleast to me
    Last edited: April 22, 2016
  17. perfectdark

For a start, that's Supreme Commander... not Supreme Commander 2, which is a different game.

I agree that having a long period where nothing happens is completely pointless, which is exactly what happens in PA as soon as you hit orbital.
    ace63 likes this.
  18. MrTBSC

but that's "just" a orbital problem it is not a problem when players fight on the same planet ... meanwhile both supcom AND supcom 2 despite being different have the issue with shields turning the game into a longrange snorefest and players barely engaging with low tier units instead of longrange or txspam lategame
  19. perfectdark

But that's simply not true for the majority of games in SupCom2. If you played a game against experienced players then all aspects of the game game into play. The defensive structures were so weak that it barely made any sense to build them. The only way you could get a long range slugfest is if you had two players both of which weren't any good. I have to admit this did happen a lot, you often had bad players building up an army in their base and then attacking with one attack and finishing the game. But that was the fault of the other players for allowing that to happen.