New Clan Wars

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by sardaukar666, October 5, 2015.

1. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Oh no, I didn't think you were, but I felt the pressing need to speak anyway :p
    I will agree that games do slow down big time in orbital and multiplanet games, again because the 'big' plays that means something happen less frequently and require more 'setting up' as it were.
  2. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

I made that call to award win to [MR] based on the current statistics of that game, and to cut costs.
    The games were run on custom servers that made sure lag was minimal. But custom servers cost money over time, so you'll have to understand the decision.

I really want to stop doing last minute brackets.
    But people aren't reliable enough to show up / follow instructions unfortunately. Which is sad for the people that do.

I understand Burning's concern with the timezone, but this was just intentional sabotaging.
    I'm glad at least I could let theiban play as the only one who showed up from that team.

I'll still do the next showdown in AU time as I promised, but it's still going to be on my terms.
    Corgiarmy and mwreynolds like this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Here's the thing on multi planet. We can have great multi planet games if the maps are sensible. Planets should orbit each other, not be on separate orbits around the sun. Number of planets should be low. Two smallish planets and 1 moon (possibly smashable). Ideally multi planets should feature minimal csg for performance. Final requirement is multi planet spawns should be on with both main planets spawnable. This results in dynamic games, with players moving forces between battlefield and minimal need for orbital. Where orbital is used travel times are short. I think even @clopse could enjoy such a game and was for me the highlight of clan wars season 1. People should have learned by now that maps with 9 + planets are misery for players.
    walmartdialup likes this.
  4. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Maps where really good. Teamgame on 1 planet is way too simple compared to what we did yesterday.
  5. sardaukar666

sardaukar666 Well-Known Member

Intentional Sabotage? I'm a shift worker, I have never been able to predict my sleep patterns due to inconsistent workloads, as for others in Team Burning its as simple as being in a "Bad Time Zone" I knew a lot of people probably would not be able to show up at that time so I requested anyone that was unsure if they could to sign up so we could hold a team of 5. I wish accusations were not throw around with a lack of evidence considering a total of 4 members showed up to the tournament even if it was just too late.
  6. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

This is the best way to play team based PA. Spot on.

As for teams, I still think it should be constructed as an exhibition, meaning the actual teams are composed of members from any clan. Therefore, time zones will only impact a few players rather than an entire team. Some may say that this removes strategy because the teams would be somewhat random, but I'm skeptical. There is only so much strategy involved in a team game that individual player performance can easily compensate for. Besides, 99% of the players that sign up for such events arent exactly pubbers who will destroy the entire team's eco.

It could also provide for some interesting matchups, making clan wars less about the teams and more about the players. From a spectators point of view, its disappointing that certain clan matches are already predetermined due certain rosters.
    wpmarshall, cdrkf and xankar like this.
  7. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Well you know, it wouldn't really be clan wars then. It would be a 4v4/5v5 team tourney.
    cdrkf and walmartdialup like this.
  8. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

True. It does alter the significance greatly.

I guess there will have to be a change in title to alter the spirit of the event since it would be more of an all star/ pro bowl event. It needs to sound tuff though in order to scare the noobs away.

Noobs love participation ribbons. They don't deserve free ribbons
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well I think we need to run events that cater to both. Tourneys are a great way to encourage the next wave of 'pro' players.

I quite like the idea of a pro random teams tourney. A bit like @cwarner7264 'do si do' that was back in beta (?).

As for noobs, the main issue is the level they can ruin an economy in shared mode. This type of event would work fine in unshared though as they can't inadvertently sabotage their allies (i hosted ' the weakest link' tourney some time ago focusing on un shared teams). To make it interesting and fair I think organisers wood need to distribute the weaker players between teams, giving each team a more experienced player as 'captain'. To help filter out abuse, the requirement should be all players must have a ladder rank to assess their ability (great way promote ladder play as well).

I agree with @xankar neither of these would constitute a 'clans' event, but I like the general idea of mixed team tourneys. Also you say strategy isn't much of a factor but I'd disagree, the correct mix of players can punch well above their weight in a team compared to their 1v1 ranking if they have complimentary skills.
  10. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

world team battle. using legion.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

cdrkf likes this.
  12. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator