Titans on Ubuntu 16.04 Steam not working

Discussion in 'Support!' started by tracert, April 24, 2016.

1. tracert

tracert Member

I installed Ubuntu 16.04, latest Nvidia drivers and steam. When I launch Titans from steam a window appears for a second then crashes. If I launch the game from the terminal it works. Launching the PTE either way doesn't work. Anyone else getting this?

Attached Files:

2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

PTE doesn't work on linux
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, like @killerkiwijuice said, the PTE is broken, BUT there is a workaround. The game crashes due to case-sensitivity issues. For some reason the PTE now expects everything in the media subdirectory to be lower-case. However, there is a workaround. Simply make a symlink for every file that has capitals to an all-lower-case version. You can easily do that from the terminal. So cd to the directory "<PA install dir>/media" and then run this:
    Code:
    for f in `find . -name "*[A-Z]*" -type f`; do ln -sf "`basename $f`" "`echo $f | tr [:upper:] [:lower:]`"; done
    EDIT: Oh, sorry. I didn't read your post properly. The above solution is specific for the PTE. But it would always crash, through Steam or not. After studying your logs, it seem you are not running PTE, but the current stable version. So did you mean to say the latest stable version is crashing when running through Steam?
    Last edited: April 24, 2016
    tracert likes this.
  4. tracert

tracert Member

To clarify, I was saying I can't run regular Titans from steam. I can run regular Titans without steam from the terminal.

@DeathByDenim thanks for the info - but when I run that code it outputs a couple hundred broken links all into the media directory
  5. tracert

tracert Member

That's OK. Yeah the latest stable version is crashing when running through Steam.
  6. DeathByDenim

Oh, oops, the spaces disappeared when I copy-pasted somehow. Fixed now in the post above for future reference.

According to the logs, the crash occurs just before fmod is initialized, and indeed the crash involves libasound. Can you try running steam like this:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2" steam
    or if that doesn't work, cd to PA directory in "~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/" and start PA like this:
    Code:
    LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2" ~/.steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/run.sh ldd ./PA
    tracert likes this.
  7. tracert

tracert Member

Code:
    LD_PRELOAD="/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libasound.so.2" steam
    So the above code works and allows me to launch regular Titans thru steam, and the case-sensitivity script has got the PTE working as well (from the terminal).
  8. DeathByDenim

Ah ok, then you ran into Steam for Linux issue #4139. See here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-for-linux/issues/4139
    Hopefully it will get fixed soon, but at least you have a workaround now.