Anyone here interested in a 20 player FFA on a single planet system? Quad-core Xeon 32GB RAM 1Gbps

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by zihuatanejo, March 16, 2016.

1. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

One of my favourite things in PA are FFA games on single planets (I can't multi task on multi planet systems!!). In particular, I love them with as many players as possible. The first custom server game hosted by @cola_colin was a blast (well, it might have been the 2nd or 3rd). 32 players on one moon, fun times!

Anyway, in the near future, I am considering hosting one of these games on a dedicated server, hosted by a gaming community called Laerad (irc.laerad.net #laeradchat).

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz (good single threaded performance)
    64GB RAM
    1Gbps

It's a fine server, I have used it before for PA.

So before I start tinkering with things and doing work, please let me know if you're interested. I'm thinking 12/16/20/24/32 players. I have a few planets already designed which have even metal spot distribution and are designed for 20 players or so, so it is a very 'fair' map (everybody has the same amount of metal and the terrain is mostly flat).

Here's hoping enough of you want a game! Ideally I would host it at about 8-11pm UTC/GMT but we can vote for the most agreeable time if necessary.
    Last edited: March 16, 2016
    tatsujb, huangth, andreasgg and 5 others like this.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

YES!

And about that time: You mean just today? Or daily? Or just weekends?
    tatsujb and zihuatanejo like this.
  3. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

I mean in the near future :) As and when I have the time to play.
  4. xankar

xankar Post Master General

I am much interested.
  5. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

I'm still perplexed as to why 20 player games aren't available as standard
  6. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

bruh, the games still lag to **** even below 10 players
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'd be interested, although as usual limited on time.... I can't play this weekend for example. One evening next week would work. @zihuatanejo any chance you could run a few of these?
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

If able to play when its up.
    Maybe some teams games or large team ffa. And maybe add some gentleman's rules to try limit dox and bomb bot spam to limit lag a little.
  9. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

<<<< if its when im not working
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I'd be up for joining if it was at a reasonable time according to my timezone. AEST here. (Aussie).
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. perfectdark

Not if you play on a single planet map.

The whole multi planet thing never quite worked but they made it a big feature of their marketing campaign so they're stuck with it. It would have been better if they just scrapped that idea entirely and spent the time on making more interesting single planet systems from the start.
    ace63 likes this.
  12. cdrkf

Actually I disagree to some extent, based on the fact I've had some fantastic multi planet games with one simple change (lol I sound like a click bait article haha)....

Cut out orbital. Team games on multi planets where you can spawn on all planets from the start are great. Set up gates early and you can shift forces around between fronts and so on. It plays really well.

The orbital combat isn't much fun and detracts from the otherwise land focus of the game. I'd possibly say they should have restricted orbital to scouting and transport only, relying on unit Canon, gates and nukes for late game invasions. With planet smashing of course...
    tatsujb and ace63 like this.
  13. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

depending on what time it is sure, i think it's time to derust =3
  14. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

This is great stuff @zihuatanejo U would love to join big games. I miss them. I think it would be cool if those who are intrested in the social aspect of it joins a ts as I think it is much funier then :)
  15. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Wait you mean like the community begged Uber to do but which Uber decided to ignore because "we know how to do it"? Oh boy who could have seen that coming.... :rolleyes:
  16. whisperr

whisperr Member

YES! I'm interested. Big games are much more fun.
  17. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Performance wise I'd recommend 16 player ffa games. Single planet is the best scenario and I find those the most entertaining. I'd love to join in with those
  18. cdrkf

Heh, if you look back it kinda makes sense how we ended up where we did... Whilst some of the community like us wanted minimal orbital, an equally large proportion wanted 'orbital multi unit drop ships' and battleships and everything. Add to that the fact it took them a lot longer to get a unit Canon in, I guess they needed an orbital unit roster and so on in order to support multi planet.

Orbital could certainly be paired back now, as there are other tools in place, however that would probably upset many players, and I must admit the titans orbital game is definitely better than it used to be.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  19. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

any update on when this might be if we're doing it??? =D
  20. perfectdark

I agree to some extent.

The main reason I don't like orbital is because it removes the tactical element from the game and when you get to that phase of a game instead of planning a few tactical well places attacks the game forces you to spend 30 minutes building up an orbital army before you do anything.