Wii U Concept Design

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by whiterocker, March 4, 2016.

1. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

Well, for a long time ago I asked the crew about a Wii U version of the game. Well, that didn't end well...

I left the concept art and the files were forgotten... until now!

This is my final concept art for the Wii U version of the Planetary Annihilations: TITANS!

Even if the game won't be ported to any console, what do you think? pac_001.jpg pa_002.jpg
    Last edited: March 4, 2016
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

3. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

The concept def's looks cool. Wouldn't happen due to hardware limitations, but it definitely looks cool.
    martianhunter and tatsujb like this.
  4. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

5. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

The problem wasn't really the hardware limitations, Wii U is quite powerful and there are games to that console that looks better than many games on XBONE and PS4. However, the limitations are the installbase. If Wii U at least had sold as much as 50% of the amount of its predecessor, it could have been considered.
    That's the Uber Entertainments answer.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

No way in hell it is powerful enough to run PA like that.
    tatsujb, stuart98, xankar and 3 others like this.
  7. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

A Wii U got 2 gb of shared memory, and ur saying it's not hardware limitations? :p
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

No, it's not powerful enough to run the game on Uber definition as I'm doing on the screen above. To make it more believable I should run on the lowest configuration.

This post is not about if the game should come or should be able to run on the console at lower configurations. It's just about a concept about how it could have looked like if it was ported to the console.
  9. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

No way to command effectively. You would need to use the stylus to make it work, but then you could not access half the buttons quickly.
  10. huangth

huangth Active Member

I can't figure out how to play a RTS game without hot keys.
    It is unfair for console players to fight against PC players.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

dude it can't run PA be it up down left right or sideways.

it doesn't matter what you DO to PA. WiiU can't run PA. period.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'd actually not say it is absolute. I imagine if one were to take a lot of money a solution could be fine. Probably would require some limits like:
    - Servers are only online. So only online play.
    - A massive rewrite of the client to specifically target the wii u, with even simpler graphics
    - No coherent in the UI. Instead a fixed function UI. No UI modding
    - maximum player number of 4 or less
    - big restrictions on planet size and numbers
    - also a unit limit, probably 500 or so.

etc. Pretty sure it would be possible, but it would not be "the PA" we know and play.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

that's exactly what I was saying I just didn't have the courage to go into details since details he does not understand.
  14. walmartdialup

walmartdialup Active Member

Awsome! While playing an RTS like PA would not be a smart idea without a keyboard, I always like the idea of alternative controls. Heck, sometimes I think an RTS could be managed well with a stylus if the developers took it into consideration during the design phase. Especially with the Wii U since they could do some interesting things with the TV-tablet combo.

While Pa couldn't be played on the Wii u, there are a lot of alternatives like streaming and such that could hypothetically support games like PA. One example of this is Nvidia's game streaming service. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of gaming goes in this direction within the next decade.
  15. whiterocker

whiterocker Member

Yes, I do understand. And I think you would if any of you would dig into the topic I linked in the post.
    The Uber staff said "Hell no", but that was mainly due to the lack of installbase.
    Sure, it wouldn't look and feel the exact same way as it does on a computer and that goes for every RTS-game. RTS is for computers, not consoles. The Wii U is the only console were a RTS-game could work thanks to the stylus.

So yes, Wii U isn't powerful enough to run PA as is does today on a pc. None of the consoles can.

As I said before, it's just a concept that I finished.
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

Considering playing supcom 2 on xbox one the one thing that incredibly infuriated me was the lack of controlability and precision
    and considering the challange of navigation and awareness of a spherical battlefield in real time of PA make the playability and enjoyment of a theoretical port just the more questionable ...
    i'm not even talking about the wii u's lack of powerfull hardware but the neccessary perifferal to properly be able to play the game because there is also only so much you can do from a userinterfaceperspective i imagine to make the gameplay as fluid and nonclunky as neccesary or possible
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. infowars

infowars Member

Could be done, if you had a PC doing all the gruntwork and the wii U just being a dumb terminal, like nvidia shield, or a low powered steam box.
    Nicb1 likes this.