Control groups

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by corwin1, February 15, 2016.

1. corwin1

corwin1 Member

Are there any mods for improving control groups? I could use keys for both adding and removing units. Couldn't find any, unfortunately.

The most common control problem I run into: I have big army bound to #1. Now I want to select bunch of units from the army and send them somewhere else. So I drag select them, and hit Control-2 to bind another group, send them on the way, and hit 1 to continue controlling the main army.

Except that the units in group 2 are still also in group 1, so I just overrode the previous orders. I suppose that might be useful sometimes... but in practice I feel it never is for me. So it seems like quite strange UI choice. There doesn't seem to be any easy way to rebind #1 again without waiting the detached units to move out of way first, which is not very practical.

So... Am I missing some obvious in-game solution? If not, can this be modded? At minimum I'd really like to have a "remove selected units from all groups" key. Or just making groups exlusive be default would do as well.
    ljfed likes this.
  2. corwin1

corwin1 Member

Pretty quiet in here... Well, for potential benefit of someone looking for the same thing: I decided to give the problem another shot. I have little patience for undocumented APIs and codebases though, so manipulating control groups remains a mystery.

Selections, however, can be manipulated. There is nice little mod in PAMM called Super Select. It lets you cycle individual units in current selection (very nice feature, thanks), and go to next/prev selection in buffer. This isn't what I wanted as such, but with minor tweak I could make it go back to previous selection excluding all units in current selection.

So you can for example select the whole army, pick all dox, send them somewhere, then with one key go back the army with the dox excluded.
  3. irvlipschitz

irvlipschitz Member

4. corwin1

corwin1 Member

Thanks. That doesn't seem to have exactly what I wanted either, but no worries, I already got it working by modding the Super Select.