Lets talk about RTS as a genre

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by dawnbringerhun, February 7, 2016.

?

If it possible, do you want Upgrading Units and/or choosing Factions in PA?

1. Yes, I want to Upgrade Units and choose a Faction

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Yes, but I just want to Upgrade Units

2 vote(s)
    5.4%
  3. Yes, but I just want to choose a Faction

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. No, I dont want to Upgrade units or choose a Faction

14 vote(s)
    37.8%
  1. dawnbringerhun

dawnbringerhun New Member

Hello and Welcome Players, and naturally Uber! [Devs!]

So I just started to play with PA (Titans) about few weeks. I was really excited about a brand new RTS (Yeah, thats new for me) and I'm NOT disappointed, because PA is a really good RTS, and , I think , it's resurrected the RTS Genre. I'm a big RTS fan, and waited for long time , for a good RTS. What do you think (Players, and Devs both), what elements, or thing makes a game Real Time Strategy? (And not just the real time, and the strategy layout). I like the idea, how there is 2 resource (Energy and Metal). It's simple , but super! Nothing more needed. The no population limit/cap is the most awesome future, so we can build extra large armies.
    But, there something I want to ask.

What do you think about reseraches, upgrading, leveling?
    If it not clear, I mean upgrading units, reserach new techs, leveling up units, or something like that?
    Maybe +armor,+damage,+accuracy, like in other RTS games. Devs, what do think, what are your opinions?

The other thing, usually called races/alliances/civilizations/nations/factions, but now, I call them Factions for example. So, every faction have a unique trait, or, special ability, like Aircraft build time -10%, for example. And/or every Faction have unique unit(s). (Remember RA2). I know ATM all players have the same units,what makes a good balance, and put the victory condition on Players' skills. But what if..? Devs, what do think, what are your opinions?

And Players, what do You think? Use the poll, so we can see. :)

Have a nice day.
    wilhelmvx and wpmarshall like this.
  2. trashmanf

trashmanf New Member

I don't think new units/abilities etc are needed. Your doom army is your unique faction - add an angel or combat fabbers for healing boost... If you want 10% buff on air unit build just assign a fabber to the factory... Etc. +armor, lead with flame tanks ...
    Greendolph likes this.
  3. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

RTS as a genre; a really touchy subject. ;)
    Nicb1, cdrkf and Furballman like this.
  4. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

In fairness, I think this is more a topic of people's personal feelings about what makes an RTS in terms of fations upgrades etc rather than OMG WHY NO FACTIONS :p
    Nicb1 likes this.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

@DawnbringerHUN have you seen the 'legion expansion' mod being built at the moment (have a look around forum you'll find it, I would link it but on phone).

Whilst it's not official from devs, what they're building looks spot on. The best bit, thanks to ubers clever mod system anyone should be able to join games with the new faction :)
  6. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

true, I will give you that
  7. dawnbringerhun

I never seen or head, I'ill look on that, thanks. :)
  8. dawnbringerhun

Guys guys... Why so offensive? I just talking about ideas.
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

?
  10. dawnbringerhun

Picture comment, for example.
  11. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Not a fan of upgrades, since they make it less clear what your fighting.
    On the factions front we'll soon see how the new faction mod turn out.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  12. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

You sir obviously don't remember how unbalanced RA2 was and how little it encouraged diversification of strategy. In PA though I have seen numbers of strategies that are effective and counterable with the units given to you with no unit felling ridiculously overpowered. The only "strategy" in RA2 was mass the basic lvl tank then rush, nothing else (or if you were allies the jumpjet troops because they were op). Upgrades cause more balance issues along with more fraction (look at starcraft, 1 fraction is far more favored in the competitive scene). I have no particular issue with a game having more than 1 fraction or upgrades, etc. but it doesn't work for PA as the game is balanced and works around each player having access to the same units and thus same counters to them.

Tldr: Nothing for PA but I wouldn't mind seeing it in PA2
  13. dawnbringerhun

Hey Sir, thanks for sharing your thougts.Yes, I remember the unbalance in RA2, but look, every faction with their own specials, need another tactic. You cannot use, the same tactic , for all factions, that was the point. BTW since you mentoined the rush. In PA I see so many rushers. :( Yes, the same units have the same counter but this... You know what to do when see a tons of Leveler Tanks. So every time, when the enemy comes with Levelers, you will do the same.
  14. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

It was a G0hst post though, ie pointless and lacking in substance. Nothing meaningful was lost in its destruction.
    Greendolph likes this.
  15. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

So basically anything that comes out of your mouth or your mods
    @DawnbringerHUN I posted that picture because this is the 5th one I have seen in the past 2 weeks and really I just dont want to try and aruge for another time why a.b.c need changed/fix/redesigned/rebalanced/rethough/created/destroied etc. So now I just post another one as my reminder not to bother people
  16. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

You can counter w/ pure bots vs tanks easily. It's just more micro intensive and take a little more meta knowledge but mass tank pushing is the easiest strategy to do on lower levels on higher levels it's usually accompanies smaller mirco like inferno drops and fabber snipes that may cost the other player the game rather than just a tank ball. It's just that most players don't understand that in the early game some loses are far more deadly than a tank push and can greatly contribute to your late game advantage. In general though PA encourages mass spam as the idea is to have massive armies destroy each other.
    martianhunter likes this.
  17. amphok

amphok Member

i like upgrade, but i can live without them if units are made very well and interct well between each other
    but i think that factions are needed, it will ad much more to the game, even sub faction would be good
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

playing various rtsgames since the era of good ol command and conquer (sry dune 2)

i mostly came down to sticking with the general total anihilation formula

as in build factory and get a number of unitoptions immidiately, built fabricator or constructionunits to get more options .. no research and all options perform as they should without needing upgrades or changes

i donĀ“t mind factions to kinda HAVE TO pick a playstyle or distinct advantages/disadvantages but i rather prefer a general unitpool that gives me everything i need to adapt to any situation ...

totaly despise leveling because it makes it potentionaly more difficult to defend against a succesfull aggressive army that managed trades better than you .. it gives rather unneeded extramomentum and makes for a worse snowballplay imo

what makes a real time strategy game? ... intresting question ...
    imo primarily commanding numbers of units, squads or even armies (depending on the scale of the game) of various compositions with different types of units be they mobile, static or semimobile with different abilities ...
    what is definitively great to have for larger scalegames with multiple opponents is a sort of diplomacysystem were you can share resources units etc. and declare non agressionpacts etc. to influence a game to your advantage
  19. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Ouch.
    g0hstreaper likes this.
  20. Greendolph

Greendolph Active Member

Imo PA does have factions.
    Bots or tanks.
    Ksgrip likes this.
  21. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

It will eventually have two more ;)