1. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

I just watched the original trailer again. When the asteroid was heading for the planet, I got goosebumps - and after it impacted I actually teared up! It's just that good. In my book, if anything can do that, it's pretty damned awesome.

Thanks again, Uber (with a tip of the hat to Jon, who I recently named my latest/19th mechanical keyboard after) - PA was a good ride.
    dom314, Corgiarmy, wilhelmvx and 3 others like this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It really is a great game.

I kinda hope the engine is released publicly because PA is one of those games that could live for a very long time: the art and unlimited unit cap are future proof.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What do you DO with those poor.... xD
    jomiz, xankar, cptconundrum and 2 others like this.
  4. arm2thecore

They're normally filed in USPS boxes on a rack. I'll pick whichever one fits my mood. Or, sometimes I'll just settle on a board for a whole week, but that's rare. Finding/buying an older keyboard and cleaning it up to enjoy its unique sound/feel is a rewarding experience (but so is typing on a brand new one!). Bottom line is, life's too short to own < 1 mechanical keyboards!

Keyboard blog: https://klikkyklik.wordpress.com/
  5. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

Dayum son ~ I had around 12 at one point sold some of them bought some new ones...atm im sitting at 4.
    19 though is a lot...normal people won´t understand.

It is not that differen from having a lot of sneakers.
  6. arm2thecore

Thank you for understanding! :)

Some are not at all conducive to playing PA well (not that I ever really could in the first place).

What 4 do you have?
    wilhelmvx likes this.
  7. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

Currently owning a Zowie Celeritas with mx reds and a CmStorm Quickfire TK Stealth with Mx browns.
    My main board atm is a CMStorm Novatouch with sideprinted poker rgb keycaps.
    The last of my old boards is my Realforce 87u 55g.

So yes atm im using topre...

The only boards I really miss (sold) my Leopold 660m with mx blues and my Filco Majestouch-2
    (Ninja variant with mx reds).
    arm2thecore likes this.
  8. arm2thecore

You know your keyboards!
  9. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Since you both seem to know your keyboards, and I very much do not: do you have any suggestions for someone who has been thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard for a few years, but has no idea where to start or what to look for?
  10. arm2thecore

Visit https://deskthority.net or https://geekhack.org - two of the most prominent mechanical keyboard sites (Reddit has something too). There are many threads there from people like yourself, wondering about the same thing. I can try to help too if there are still unanswered questions.
    dom314 likes this.
  11. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Well I had started by flipping through your blog you posted a link to and was looking at the MK2016 keyboard's website and a couple of other places. It seems like one of the biggest differences in keyboards is the switches. I think (that being the important word here) that I'm starting to understand the difference in the cherry switch colors or at least the red, blue and brown ones.

Basically what I can tell so far from the switch colors. Red and brown take the same force to register a key-press, blue is somewhat more force to register a key-press. The reds are straightforward switches, the browns have some tactile feedback (a registered press spot), and the blues have both tactile feedback and are designed to be audibly louder than others. Is this basically correct?
  12. arm2thecore

You're pretty close, yes. All of them take a certain amount of force to register the keypress, and all will have a sound when the keycap bottoms out, but in addition, the blues have an audible 'snap' when the keyswitch is actuated. The Cherry blacks are essentially tougher reds; they're also linear with no tactility or click, but have a stronger spring. I don't care for them much.

Pretty much one of the most common and inexpensive mechanical keyboards you can get is a Cooler Master Quickfire. There are a number of different ones in that series, but they all have the same selection of Cherry switches available.

You will probably want to get something with standard keyspacing. Some keyboards, like the Das Keyboard for example, don't have a standard-spaced bottom row, so you can't just go out and buy a replacement keycap set for it. The Cooler Masters are all standard as far as I know, and if you flip through eBay or Massdrop, you can see some really interesting-looking keycaps for Cherry keyswitches.

Another question to ask yourself is whether or not you're wanting a tenkeyless version. They do save on the desk space, which increases the amount you have for mouse movement, but some people just need those extra keys - particularly if you're going to do something like work with Blender 3D or other programs that almost require that you have those available (or it's really clumsy if they're not there).

Most of my mechanicals are old; probably in the late 1980's to early 1990's, and they don't have Cherry keyswitches. But that doesn't stop them from being enjoyable. You just have to keep your eyes open for them and be willing to clean them up (because they do get gross!).

Good luck in your adventure! Let me know if you have any other questions.