Please make forum session longer

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by Aryzing, January 4, 2016.

1. Aryzing

Aryzing Member

Hi, could you please make the forums session last longer, or add a "remember me" option to the login menu? In my opinioin, I have to log in all too frequently. Thanks!
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I've never had a forum session expire on me. "Remember me" is automatic as far as I know.

The sessions are bound to IP addresses though, so if your ISP frequently assigns you a different IP address, then the forum session will reset. That's a security feature so that people can't steal your cookies and use those to pretend to be you.
    Aryzing likes this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

which afaik happens to a large part of all people on the internet. To get around it you could use a proxy, though obviously only one you can really trust.
    Aryzing likes this.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yup. I think they all do it expect when you pay extra for them to not do it. That amount of time you get the same IP address differs wildly per ISP though. I think the mobile ones switch IP addresses very often. Cable seem to rarely do it. I think I have had the same IP address for over a year now, but I don't pay close attention to it.

Mobile was probably the last to get a batch of IPv4 addresses and thus only have a very limited supply of those. Maybe? Time for IPv6 already. :)
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I dunno about mobile, but I expect all normal ISPs to change the customer IP once every 24h, alone for privacy reasons and afaik most ISPs here in germany do just that. At least all I ever had to deal with.
  6. Aryzing

Aryzing Member

Ok! Thanks guys for the answers. At least I now know there is a purpose to the frequent login requests.
  7. LennardF1989

LennardF1989 Uber Contractor

I have since released a few more XenForo forums and the IP-lock is pretty silly in hindsight. I'm soon going to perform maintenance again on this forum, I'll see if I can either allow multiple IP's (so you are not logged out from multiple locations) or simply disable it.