Long time, no update. Is development still ongoing?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Aryzing, December 21, 2015.

1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Have it and i do not enjoy it at all :
    1) Units are soooooooo slow .....
    2) Only Hoover units, no robots, no tanks
    3) Unit diversity is incredibly poor
    4) No real strategic zoom
    It's going to require an insane configuration to make it run.
    as far as i am concerned, they just took a 3D engine and tried to build an RTS on top of it.

PA is definitly much more intense and supcom was much more epic.
    wilhelmvx, mwreynolds, ace63 and 2 others like this.
  2. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Already seen aos game and it didn't look that great..the gameplay looks slow and as the poster above said not much to look forward to..
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

You never know. There could be some work on the backend or something else.

No I'll only believe that development has stopped when Uber has truly supported mod support to keep PA going. That means server hosting, mods etc.
  4. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Frankly, gave it another try today, just to get a better picture of the current game state.
    - it's true that now there are faster units, but, and this is a big "but"

* All the units looks pretty much the same, which make them very difficult to distinguish
    In PA, TA, Supcom, there's no such issue. Plus strategic icons provide a global picture.

* Units, structures lack animations which increases the difficulty to make the distinction between them.

* There are type of units with tiers, but for a specific type of unit, each tier roughly uses the same unit shape, they are just bigger ... where is the inspiration coming from ?????

* Since there are no strategic icons, it's basically impossible to take advantage of far zoom out. And this is really driving me crazy because when you're zooming out the units are so small that you can't see where they are - where strategic icons would have helped -.

* The only piece of information you can get is from this ******* tiny minimap which is to me non-sense when using large far zoom out. I don't understand this obstination from main game designer to maintain a large zoom out and refusing to implement strategic icon, just because they don't want the game to be played like supcom. So why do they put such zoom out when all units/structures are non visible ?????

This is strictly the opposite of what Uber did. Uber used the technology to serve the gameplay, not to show off.

* The maps look like supcom maps, but when you think you will be able to take advantage of relief, forget about it, all units are hoovers so they move anywhere you like. It's all about knowing the 2d map, the height does not really matter.

When i hear they speak of TA of one of the influencer, i really Wonder which ingredient from TA they put into their game.

damned, Draginol should let TA/designer make great games like TA/supcom/PA and stop claiming he's taking inspiration from TA while there's Nothing about it. They saw this oxygen tech demo and decided they could make Something with it....

Hopefully PA dev is not over. Hopefully Uber has plans. Hopefully C.T. has also plans. Hopefully there are plans for great game design before tech.

Speaking about tech, let's come back to this topic about Nvidia not taking as much advantage of DX12 as AMD. Oxygen and stardock spent their time saying that with DX11, drivers were the bottleneck and that dx12 would remove this bottleneck. This is probably true, but A.O.T.S Embedded benchmark reveals Something very funny : By displaying the amount of CPU used by drivers, you can check the difference between DX11 and DX12 drivers. Yes with my AMD card the difference is really big and as a result, DX12 helps a lot. Basicall my 290x poorly performs on DX11, and very well on DX12. But, my GTX770 performs very well on DX11 and the same with DX12. Simply because Nvidia DX11 drivers cpu consumption is really low compared to AMD DX11 drivers.

So here we have an additional bullshit : AOT performs better on DX12 just because AMD DX11 drivers are not as optimized as Nvidia DX11 drivers. When Nvidia provides equivalent DX11 and DX12 drivers.

Sure, Nvidia architecture might not scale as well as new AMD architecture. But so far, Nvidia cards outperforms AMD cards on DX11.
    Last edited: January 3, 2016
  5. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Search a little more. The main reason that AMD doesn´t ussually perform better in games is just because as Nvidia sort of tries to sabotage AMD works, all code related to using AMDs is open source. As proven by the witcher 3, maybe the developer improves the use of AMD cards over the months but suddenly Nvidia gets in, pays for them to use their technology (which surprise surprise tends to destroy AMD performance but no backwards as AMD is open source..) and BUM. Now you have a game which runs far worse on AMD than Nvidia which probably wasn´t like that before.
    Don´t know about you but if have to chose between giving my money to corporate assholes or people who actually shares their tech so anybody can benefit of it, then..I think the answer is pretty straight.
  6. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Let's just say, that Nvidia had "minor" issues with DX12 to begin with, which caused an outright horrendous performance in early versions of DX12 AotS. And the issues actually still persists, most devs I know have now resorted to providing a second code path for Nvidia cards which explicitly avoids the feature in question. (The feature being async execution, in early DX12 presentations shown with these zipper like pictures.)

At lot of devs trying out DX12 kept cursing Nvidia for that, since it makes a lot of smart engine designs straight-out impossible.

Their current architecture is just DX11, perfectly tailored to it, but no reserves left or features to unlock. Whereby the basic DX12 architecture is almost specifically tailored for AMD cards all the way back to the 7800 series. Sure, formally Nvidia has also DX12 compatible cards, but only if you read the specs in such way that you replace a lot of "should" with "nah, don't want to".
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Yep you're absolutly right. And hopefully Nvidia will work on a new scalable architecture for DX12. Well i guess they have no choice.
    What i wanted to stress here is that (And yes i should have posted screenshots), AMD DX11 drivers consume a lot of CPU while Nvidia DX11 drivers do not, thus i looked like to me obvious that we were not going to see dramatic improvement with DX12.
  8. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Except that for PA, Nvidia helped much more Uber than AMD, while PA was not some kind of million seller ...
  9. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Might be best if Uber actually pulled PA and Titans from steam, and tried to keep it going without Steam. Toxic bunch the steam community is. Killed the game I think they did.

Ungrateful, immature people most of the people on the steam forums. PA/Titans was a wonderful game. :(
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Steam is where Uber has probably gotten 90% of their sales. Not happening.
  11. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

It's unfortunate that PA got hit by a heap of tossers over on the steam forums. Such a good potential franchise that probably won't be able to sustain future iterations now due to all that crap.

Unfortunately it's also too late to take it off steam now. I can almost guarantee that if that happened another shitstorm would start with all the anti PA crusaders following along. Not really much that can be done now.

EDIT:
    Well gone offtopic here, would like to hear from someone over at Uber if they are still working on updates for the game or if it is simply not sustainable to continue at this point in time.
    Last edited: January 6, 2016
    devoh and stuart98 like this.
  12. spartan234

spartan234 New Member

This kind of information doesn't serve business well. So expect none of that kind in the near future, but a more politically correct one in a few months.
  13. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

If thats the case, alot of Kickstarter people will be pissed. Especially those who ordered custom commanders, and never got them.... Uber would have a much more bigger problem if they fail to deliver....
  14. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

People get things for free = other people getting pissed.
    People getting different discounts then other people = getting people pissed.
    People not being able to buy original = people pissed.
    People being able to buy original = people pissed.
    People getting a message that development has stopped = people pissed.
    People getting a message that development continues = people pissed.
    People getting a message that a new expansion is coming out = people pissed.
    People getting no message at all = people getting pissed.

Lets just replace the people by 'the mob' and yes we can confirm that game development isn't simply about making games but it is about politics.

Thats why I think over there in Amurica we (well not me since I ain't an american) should start a campaign with Uber entertainment as the party and @jables as the political leader.

Jables.jpg

I belieb in it

Your vote is important too
    Last edited: January 6, 2016
    komandorcliff, cdrkf, MrTBSC and 15 others like this.
  15. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

The development cycle for uber in a nutshell
    cola_colin, wilhelmvx, Nicb1 and 4 others like this.
  16. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

World in a nutshell.
    wpmarshall, cdrkf, cola_colin and 5 others like this.
  17. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

Jables don't run for the US Presidency. Besides being a waste of money, the PA community needs you more than ever!

Also (snowflake warning) please do something about your those amazon or whatever servers the game is running on its hurting the game when it crashes or freezes so frequently.
    andrehsu, huangth, lordathon and 2 others like this.
  18. chrisjshull

chrisjshull Member

Hey Uber, if you need more money, tell us what you need and why you need it.
    Maybe go through another crowdfunding round. I've gotten my money's worth so far and wouldn't mind pledging more, even if it's just "no big features, just more polish".
    And if the crowdfunding fails, at least you gave us, the community, a chance.

I'm much more likely to buy into crowdfunding though, because I know you'll get a lot of money if is succeeds (or I'm out nothing if it doesn't).
  19. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

For people who enjoy the game (you and I) this makes sense and would be a good idea, to anyone outside of rational reasoning see this "WE ONLY WANT MORE OF YOUR MONEY YOU STUPID MONKEYS" and thus another flame S*** post flurry begins. Sadly if uber make any moves now while they could be good in the long run everyone seems to only see it as "another" failure.
    doud, ljfed, stuart98 and 1 other person like this.
  20. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I wish they had a "Donate" button somewhere. I'd push it.
    mwreynolds, g0hstreaper and stuart98 like this.