So slow servers, it's time to show community servers without requiring PAMM!

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by lorodion, January 1, 2016.

1. lorodion

lorodion Member

As the title says, seems stupid that Uber abandons development before handing the community the proper tools to keep the game going. Most games I've played during the holidays have been super laggy to the point where they where not playable, even after just 1-2 minutes of gameplay.
    It's not really viable to require 3rd party tools to find mods when this is not clearly advertised and so few players find their way there.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

So your blaming what could be your poor internet connection/computer. Do keep in mind that it is the holiday and with smaller servers to run on with more people playing the game, smaller servers but more people will cause lag.

To try and pin PAMM as the issue seems like your swinging in the dark, PAMM is community made,not company made so of course it will not be promoted. If they did would show bias towards one person in the community and they would have more threads saying "UBER YOU P.O.S PLAYING FAVORITES HOW COULD YOU BE SO STUPID I WANT MY MONEY BACK" or something as...kind. From what I see this is just a b8 thread and I took it.

SO FOR ANYONE ELSE!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's bait lads and laddies

(Intentional double image post for more space on front of thread Kappa)
  3. lorodion

lorodion Member

I don't disagree with what you're saying. Also I know there are lots of posts about similar issues.
    I did check my Internet in several of the laggy games and had 130/130 Mbit as usual (bredbandskollen.se). The other players were also complaining in the chat so seems the problem was not solely on my end.
    I'm not saying PAMM is the problem, it would be the solution if players found their way there.
    Of course servers will be laggy in the holidays when more players are online. Community help isn't a bad thing and extra servers would benefit the community, now if players could only find them...
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Yes, G0hst, PAMM is the problem. The fact that it is needed is the problem. The fact that PA Stats is needed, that PA Chat is needed is absolutely a problem.
  5. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

wouldn't it be impossible to have the client pretty much scan the internet for pa servers? Or am I missing something
  6. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

You are missing all the ip addresses a computer would have to check for PA servers :)
    The way it actually works is that the servers report to one server, and that server holds a list of all the servers that has connected to it telling it they are servers for the game. The list server is the one the game asks for the active lobbies, and custom servers don't appear on that list automatically.
    bengeocth and killerkiwijuice like this.
  7. elodea

elodea Post Master General

well, eu to au was basically unplayable last i played a few days ago. Same like it used to be.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  8. lordathon

lordathon Active Member

When the server was laggy last day, a lot of our games crash in lobby or in middle of party. We check how many players are still playing at this moment: 500 players only. So the Uber server didn't support 500 players ingame at the same moment?? So few....... :/
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

uh no, they're just laggy.
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

stuart98 likes this.
  11. bengeocth

ohhhh, I thought it was completely independent when someone set up their own server o_O
  12. killerkiwijuice

It is
  13. huangth

huangth Active Member

I have no idea what happens on the server,
    but the lag performance is real.

I install the mod to know the simulation speed of the server.
    Lag.png
    The speed should be 100%, but it is only 35% after 30 min.
    Everyone is playing the game with the slow motion.
  14. killerkiwijuice

Not surprising honestly. There must have been large armies.
  15. stuart98

There are five or six factors to individual sim performance.

1. Total surface area. Several small planets do not have the impact of one large planet.
    2. Number of players in game. A 1v1 strains the less than a 10 player FFA.
    3. Pathing. More units trying to path -> more
    strain.
    4. AIs. AI players are more impactful than humans.
    5. Other games. I believe each server handles up to 8 matches at once.

Total number of people playing PA shouldn't matter.
    Last edited: January 3, 2016
  16. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Are you sure about the bolded bits?
    The first probably being a typo, the second I am not sure if you mean that it does matter but you believe it shouldn't, or it actually doesn't influence sim performance?

If it is the latter, I would argue that given a certain number of servers being operational, more players means I higher likelihood of the pathological case where you have 'up to 8 matches at once'. Which would mean the slowdown occurs more often.
  17. killerkiwijuice

your second bullet is backwards
  18. stuart98

19. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

UBER NEEDS TO MAKE DEDICATED SERVERS VISIBLE TO ALL PLAYERS.
  20. bengeocth

completely. that implies that it is COMPLETELY independent (meaning no server to report to.)