Spoiler Thread for Force Awakens [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, December 18, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yeah. live action not animation is what I meant.
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I'm laughing at the deconstruction of Ren's lightsabre fight. It's implied the blaster shot was very serious (that was a lot of blood, and he is a human).

It's implied Rey's connection to the Force is as good as, if not better than, Ren's.

This was all pre-ordained, shall we say :)

Just came back from it. A very good shot indeed, and boy am I glad they just went and found Luke instead of delaying that for the next movie. I expect we're going to get a training montage and into action, but heck that's what each trilogy does best.
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I love how he kept beating the wound to get the pain and rage going. The path to the Dark Side are they.
  4. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Well, I found the movie to be pretty predictable. It follows a very similar path that the other 6 did (and they tended to be similar). Not that it's a bad thing, I still really enjoyed my front row* seats. Besides, my girlfriend really liked it, and it was her first Star Wars!

I kind of see the force as electromagnetic manipulation, which is why they can control what they can (everything, really), but explaining the mind reading is kind of rough. If they hadn't let her read Kylo's mind, then I could just write it off as having a very in-tune understanding, but perhaps it was more of experience the same synaptic connections firing as they are (thus emulating a memory? Not really sure of the validity, but I sound smart!). I have to agree that him holding the lazer was amazing. It really made him come of as terrifyingly strong for a non-master Sith. Rey (is that how I spell it?) already had the previous experience with her staff, and was clearly a good fighter, at least against thugs, so her doing decent against him was believable--especially considering he's probably never had a perfect experience to that kind of real fighting, even against the Supreme Leader (What's his name? I'm not even guessing how to spell it) in training. he was also hurt, so while he may have thought the pain helped, there is no way that it didn't cause issues in his concentration.

*Screw front row seats
    tatsujb and stuart98 like this.
  5. Geers

Stop trying to explain the Force. Nobody wants that George.
    Devak, stuart98, mered4 and 1 other person like this.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The lightsaber duel at the end seems to be the biggest point of contention, so I'll just jump straight into that:

There hasn't been a lightsaber fighting academy for over 60 years. The last person to receive any type of formal training was Like Himself. It's not unreasonable to assume that Ren's abilities are subpar. I mean, his saber is super unstable and stuff. It fits.

The whole laset bolt thing in the beginning of the movie was meant to show power. It shows the viewer that Ren has a tighter control over energy than any Jedi or Sith that we know of. That's scary as ****.

Ren's ability to break him scared the absolute crap out of Ren and amused Snoke (that's what it felt like, at least). After beating Finn and knocking Rey to the edge of the Doomcliff, he got his *** handed to him because Rey was lucky and ******* strong in the force.

Let me put it this way:

Ben Solo/kylo Ren isn't actually that strong in the force, he's just been taught well and trained religiously.

Rey is ridiculously strong with no training, and she is so attuned that she beat out Kylo with little to no lightsaber experience. That should scare the **** out of any darksiders around here.

In the original trilogy, Luke was never the best force user. He was like eragon: young, inexperienced, but with great power and the one-last-hope-for-the-good-guys responsibility. His enemies could have tossed him around like a rag doll - and they did. Sidious beat his *** into the ******* ground. Vader cut his hand off in V after playing with him for a few minutes.

Rey seems to be the exact opposite: she is The One, as they say. It's an interesting twist to the original way of doing things in Star Wars.
    Bsport and stuart98 like this.
  7. Geers

@mered4 You keep calling Rey, Ren. Stahp.
    stuart98, mered4 and tatsujb like this.
  8. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Just watched it. My only complaint is another death star. Other than that, really good.
    tatsujb likes this.
  9. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

I agree. Without the whole death star thing I guess the movie would be even better.
    tatsujb likes this.
  10. Gorbles

The Empire has a habit of that kind of thing.

Geez, nobody complained when it turned up again in RotJ. Then again, criticise the original trilogy and you get shot, apparently :p
  11. tatsujb

I used to like them the most because I'm tall and my knees weren't being compacted by the seats in front of me and aso this way I had a clear line of sight and less chance of proximity noise but the neck craning is just too damn much.
    yipeee! did she like it?
  12. tatsujb

technically, no. tons of people did.

check out all the parodies.

this

and this

included but not limited to. :p
    Last edited: December 21, 2015
  13. Gorbles

Those aren't, strictly-speaking, complaints :p

Good videos, though, I like the "should have ended" series even when I don't agree with them!
  14. tatsujb

I'm sure if you check out fan forums and such you'll find full-blown "complaints"
  15. Geers

Pretty sure they did actually.

Also HISHE got ROTJ wrong. The second Death Star didn't have any exhaust ports, instead it had millions of millimetre-wide openings all over the surface which could automatically seal themselves if there was an excess energy reading detected.

The Death Star wasn't finished, if it had been, the Rebels wouldn't have been able to fly inside it. This is a common misconception. The Rebels decided to attack because they thought the weapons system wasn't operational. It was. But the station itself hadn't been fully completed.

Nerd-Man AWAAAAAY!!
    stuart98 and mered4 like this.
  16. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Sorry. Tablet autocorrect. The names are so similar it wants them to be each other. :S
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. Gorbles

Now, yes. There's been thirty years to critique these established works of fiction.

But eh, I'm stuck on a tangent commenting on both popular opinion of Star Wars and also the tie-in between initial reception of both trilogies.

TFA is holding at 95% user rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Star Wars as a series is rife with cliches and MacGuffin plot devices. To criticise TFA for having one is . . . well, simply a reflection of the entire series thus far. I don't care beyond that, honestly, if that's what anyone's critique rests on.

(also check out the people mad that Rey is a girl)
  18. Geers

Not sure if this is "better" or worse than the people who were upset that John Boyega is black. Have you seen that guy in interviews? His god-damn hilarious! First celebrity I have any real desire to meet. Such an awesome guy.

3:55

stuart98 and Gorbles like this.
  19. Gorbles

Have you seen him going round surprising fans? Such a gent.
  20. Geers

mered4 likes this.