How about allowing the tactical missile to hit the air units?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by huangth, December 5, 2015.

1. huangth

huangth Active Member

How about allowing the tactical missile to hit the air units?
    Including units are catapult, bluehawk, stingray, and hornet.

The tactical missile can target the orbital units, but they can't shoot down the air units.
    This is quite strange.

I think the tactical missile can also provide a good method to counter the air titan Zeus
    since the weapon range of tactical missile is much longer than the weapon range of Zeus.

And I believe the tactical missile launchers won't become overpower even if they can target the air units.
    They are expensive, and their rate of fire are very slow.
    Moreover, they don't have area of effect.
    Thus, they are certainly less efficiency than T2 flank cannon and T1 AA.
    However, they can shoot down air unit from long distance.
  2. proinegoproxy

proinegoproxy Member

Honestly, it would be a lot nicer if every single tactical missile hardpoint/unit decided to attack separate units instead of deciding to have all 500+ hardpoints/units decide to attack one unit and one unit alone. Seriously, I have 23 missile hardpoints and they're all attacking the same single unit. Granted it would not be so easy to implement separate targeting but this would be nice to have.
    nosebreaker, tunsel11 and tracert like this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

understatement of the year :p

When one friendly unit fires at an enemy, another friendly unit fires at that same enemy unit because there is just nothing to communicate the targeting. It's like gathering friends and telling them to pick a random target out of 5 targets, sometimes they all hit the same target.

Obviously irl people would talk to each other and say their target, but the game engine does not.
    nosebreaker likes this.
  4. huangth

huangth Active Member

In PA, all units just fire when there is a target in their weapon range, they don't hold fire.
    Thus, you can also see shellers waste their first shoots on the wall rather than the turret behind the wall.

And the units in PA have the target priority.
    I feel that the tactical missiles and arty buildings much more like to shoot the enemy factory rather than enemy unit.
    Sometimes, it is quite annoying.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

How... is it strange that a cruise missile can't hit a fighter jet? Or a scout plane?
  6. huangth

huangth Active Member

As they can hit the ground units such as tanks and little bots without large area of effect,
    I believe it is not a cruise missile.
    It is more likely to be the smaller missile which can trace the enemy vehicle and fighter jet.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That's shaky logic at best.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It works in player mods. Just need less "damage" and "rate of fire" for more "convenience" and "utility".
  9. elodea

elodea Post Master General

oh that might be fun experiment for a mod. tactical missiles with pretty long range but have a low turn rate so they are more something that you use to push air away a bit instead of actually killing or sniping them.
    nosebreaker, huangth and n3ur0o like this.
  10. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

Rockets really miss their point in this game.
    1-i completely agree that rockets should be able to target air units.
    2-rockets are supposed to be smart when there target is destroyed they should (turn) and fly to another enemy unit
    3-in the case of PA rocket bots should be targetting orbital before anything else due to they are the only mobile unit that can shoot orbital
    4-IF they do all the things i said before their rate of fire can become even less to not overpower them.
    5-same reason as above, more units should have anti missile capabilities especially naval, missile warfare is really missing in naval!
    huangth likes this.
  11. huangth

huangth Active Member

I totally agree with you for point 1 ~ 4.
    But for point 5, I think it is not real.

I think that your idea is to make the missile range longer than the range of battleship.
    It is true for current naval situation, but it may be not for the future.
    US are researching the railgun weapon for their navy, the railgun may have longer range than cruise missile.
  12. stylisticsagittarius

I once played a mod (can't recall it and it doesn't seem to be in the pamm anymore). That redid alot of things but i really liked how they made the missile work. The where longer range but also flew in a way higher arc but also alot faster and fired burts of missiles. It was a bit to much but something more that direction was nice.

Also in supreme commander1(for those who remember) I know there was a very cool cybran unit that could turn incomming missiles and return them to their source. Perhaps this would be a very cool thing to implent in pa unit as well.

However someone thinks missiles should work we all have 1 thing in common.
    This games missiles do not feel like missiles at all.
  13. stylisticsagittarius

agreed but missiles DO need more utility purpose