Opinions on Fallout 4

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by maxpowerz, November 22, 2015.

1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I know there's a few Fallout 4 fan ere so i'll ask you.
    What's you opinion of fallout 4?, Was or is it enjoyable or up to par with your expectations.
    I'm playing the PS4 version of Fallout 4 and just want to see what others thought of the game.

My personal opinion so far after 60-ish hours of gameplay.

For an open world First Person Shooter it's pretty fun, but the RPG side of things seems a bit empty.
    It seems to be really good as a shooter but that's it, Feels like playing a game with Deus Ex mechanics but mixed with a post apocalyptic Skyrim map.
    The story seems to have a few nice twists as i'm trying to visit every faction and do good by them all, but it feels like i have no influence over the story and the dialogue system is a bit of a guessing game in it self.

So far I'm at the point where i have to save Danse or lose him as a companion (not that i use him anyway, i use the lonewander perk and take dogmeat everywhere).
    I'm around level 33 and have explored a lot of the map, scored my self some pretty sweet X0-1 mkV power armor with a nice hotrod shark paintjob, and built 1 heavily fortified settlement.
    I don't think there's much else to do except run n gun my way through the rest of the story and side quest's find all the items to get the trophy and i'm done.
    Don't think it needs another play through unless i miss a trophy quest somewhere.
    Doesn't feel like a game you'd want to play through more than once.
    Last edited: November 22, 2015
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I'm just over 40 hours in so far. To sum up my opinions thus far:

Pros:
    • The weapon crafting system is really fun to play around with
    • The settlement system, while somewhat bare bones, is a nice time waster that serves a purpose
    • I really like the new "legendary" weapon loot system thing, I thought it was a neat way to diversify the loot you get
    • The writing seems pretty decent, though I had the ending spoiled to me by someone so I can pretty much guess where it's going and how it's getting there
    • There's a mod that fixes the stupid, terrible dialogue wheel bullshit
    • The best radio soundtrack in the series
    • The shooting is functional and well made
    Cons:
    • While the RPG system isn't as terrible as I thought it would be, it's still pretty bad
    • The introduction, while nice the first time around, is going to make repeat playthroughs unbearable for the first thirty or so minutes
    • Since weapon crafting is tied to the gun nut perk and the level requirement for gun nut 2 is 13, your weapon options are pretty limited for a significant chunk of the game
    • The power armour is a ******* vehicle (seriously, who thought this was a good idea???)
    • I know it's Bethesda standard, but good god the bugs in this game.
    • Side quests are still pretty boring
    Mixed:
    • Weapon repair was removed
    • As far as I can tell, the NCR Ranger armour isn't in the game
    • While the legendary weapon and weapon crafting systems are neat and fun ideas, they can eventually lead to some insanely overpowered weaponry. Right now I have a .44 that shoots two bullets per shot and it just melts everything

It's definitely a good game, but it really feels like Far Cry: Apocalypse more than Fallout.
    Still can't wait for the GECK to come out!
  3. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

After 70 hours I'm still into it.

The settlement building taps into my OCD. I just wish I had unlimited resources to work each settlement into it's own thing. After fortifying 2 or 3 big settlements with a fence around the perimeter, I'm tapped out of wood and steel. I think I'll just use the console and get more wood and steel, otherwise I'll be hundreds of hours in before I can fortify all settlements how I like. And there are so many more settlements, not sure how I'm going to get it done. On the flip side sometimes timed settlement side quests events get forced on you sometimes and that just makes me angry when I want to focus on the main quest.

I like the weapon modification system, choose how you want to tool your guns to suit your playstyle. I'm focusing on high DPS single shot rifles to conserve ammo.

The karma system is gone, and I think that is a good thing. But they replaced it with what companions think of you. You have to play to their likes if you want to unlock their side missions to gain their loyalty perk. So if you want to unlock all your character's side missions, you will probably have to do things you don't like. So I guess I won't be doing that. I'll just stick with Curie. If this decision system bugs you, stick with Dogmeat, he doesn't judge you. Good boy Dogmeat.

Some of the menus are limited and annoying. Like when trying to take all the items out of a companion or work bench, I wish it had the option to only take all the things from the current selection. Ammo, Aid, etc.

I don't like the new dialogue system. I run into the same problem as in mass effect, I don't know what I'm actually going to say, so I have to save all the time to make sure what I say is what I meant to say.

Gun play is improved and you can play without VATS, but you will be wasting ammo if you do.

Legendary system is pretty cool, picked up a few legendary weapons in the begging I still use.

I don't like what they did to power armor. Turned it from armor into a timed tank option. Only really usable when you know you're about to go into a rough area or mission. I have a bunch of fusion cores and the splitting the atom perk, but the fact that the clock is always running really ticks me off.

The creation engine is showing its age, they really should make a new engine for the next release. But on the plus side it means mods are readily available. Already a bunch of mods on PC to fix stupid things, or cool things like ammo crafting.

Radio songs seem few and repetitive, maybe more unlock as you go in the story. I like some of the newer songs, like Atom Bomb Baby, but I wish they would have gotten more.
  4. maxpowerz

Last edited: November 23, 2015
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Er... Tony Stark? Seriously, you're not the only person who thinks like that and I still think you need to lay off the Radroach meat.

It was literally designed to be a walking tank. The firepower of an armoured vehicle with the mobility of a solider! Did you read ANY terminal entries in the last game!? The whole reason they built them was to counter the Chinese hovertanks! The fact it worked like normal armour in the other games never made ANY sense! Power armour actually lives up to its name now.

Right, Fallout 4... 93 hours in, barely touched the main storyline, loving it, shooting is infinitely better than previous games. Weapon crafting all good, bit limited in some places but all in all I like it. Settlement crafting is pretty good too, but there are some weird unintuitive things in there like not being able to build walls directly on top of other walls. Also a lot of the walls aren't tall enough to actually cover all the gaps if you build multiple floors. I'd like a button to disable snapping too. Also sometimes it won't let me build stuff even though I have all the materials, blueprint simply doesn't pop up. Probably a bug. Find the loot to be a bit "meh". Since the crafting system exists a lot of the special kind of loot you get is just a variation on some weapon you already have plus a special modifier you may or may not care about. But it IS really good on lower levels since if you find something that has a mod you can't build, you can actually get that advanced mod off that gun and put it on your preferred weapon without using the perk.

Dialogue system: I prefer the older one. Sometimes it's not clear what the actual option means, but there's a mod for that and frankly I don't really care that much.

Had a couple of infinite loading screens and one freeze, nothing too major.

Verdict: Love it, gonna play it a ton more, nothing wrong with it that can't be fixed by patches/mods/DLC as far as I'm concerned.

Not liking it? Good for you, shove the disc up your *** "boohoo the graphics aren't as good as Witcher 3 don't believe Todd's lies" oh shut the fluck up!

/rant.
  6. maxpowerz

Only sucky thing about my version is i don't have access to modding, mods or any console commands..
    I use a bluetooth keyboard to control the PS4 but Fallout disables it when it's open so i cant access console in the PS4 version.
    I do have the season pass tho and look forward to the DLC's, if the story is preset it will give me reason to play it through more than once when they come out.

Co-op mode would make this game 100 times better, not ever going to happen on the console version, but would still make building settlements and going hunting more fun.
    It's always better when you have someone to show off too and run around with.

@Geers
    Personally I don't see why people are complaining about the graphics, they are well suited to the mood of the game.
    [Rant]
    All of a sudden if a game comes out and it's not Ultra HD with photo realistic modeling and texturing in a world smothered in splatmaps so damn sharp and detailed it stings the eye while being run through so many post processing effect's it makes your GPU cry, people will complain..
    "Oh look it has some jaggies a way in the distance and that one tree didn't have proper filtering", graphics - 1/10 gameplay ruined.
    These people are deluded in to thinking, just because computers and consoles are capable of extremely high quality graphics, that every single release from this day on must be of the utmost highest fidelity with eye stinging clarity and quality.
    [/Rant]
  7. Geers

PS4 has a literal share button if you want to show off.

And being honest... Fallout 4 doesn't look fantastic. I have the settings pretty low but sometimes the textures don't load in and when they do you can't even tell... But I don't care. I care less than Tommy Lee Jones. The worst part is that there's a lighting bug that makes this happen in thunderstorms:

[​IMG]

But I just hit ~ and type fw 15e and hit enter. Boom. Problem solved. If I wanted to I could hotkey that shiz.

Besides that the worst graphical bug happened once and it was flucking hilarious:

[​IMG]

10/10 Best AC: Unity Simulator.

PS: They're bringing mods to XB1 and chances are they'll come to PS4 eventually. Probably more limited than what you'd get on PC but better than nothing. In the meantime enjoy your cinematic framerate scrub :p.
  8. maxpowerz

9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

@tehtrekd Lore-wise power armour in the past games made zero sense. I really love the sense of scale and power you get with power armour now. It feels better, more fitting.

I only wish they hadn't given you power armour so early on in the game, it should have been a bigger reveal imo.
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. Geers

But the first power armour is kinda pants. Gotta upgrade it.
  12. tatsujb

laughed my *** off
  13. hostileparadox

Finished Fallout 4 main quest. Pretty happy overall, just hate how the game forces you to choose a side. Especially when you get speech options that make it seem like you can negotiate. Originally went with RR & MM, but I regretted it, so I backtracked and did Inst & MM. Both choices felt bad, but Inst felt least bad. I really felt like I could reach a truce or compromise, but the game was just not scripted for it. Shame.

Damn you Fallout, damn you!
    [​IMG]
    maxpowerz likes this.
  14. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Okay.
    I just found out that if you fail a hack and get locked out, the lockout only lasts 10 seconds.
    Now, I have but one question.

WHAT THE F*CK IS THE POINT OF REMOVING PERMANENT LOCK OUTS IF YOU'RE GOING TO KEEP THE ABILITY TO BACK OUT AT THE LAST GUESS TO RESET THE GUESS COUNT ANYWAY!?
    This isn't even streamlining, it's just pointless nonsense. I realize that it's a small thing, but this decision seriously baffles me.
  15. tatsujb

16. hostileparadox

Danse Lightyear of Star Command!
    [​IMG]

I'm just sorry I could not do Danse's loyalty mission before I had to Operation Rocket's Red Glare. I was actually surprised when I saw it on youtube.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  17. tatsujb